• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] In your bag!

Carrying multiples of one mold is really more of a passive process then something you set out to do intentionally, at least for me anyway. Your favorite molds are going to get thrown a ton. After 6 months of heavy use you'll still like them, but theyll be less stable. Once it gets to the point where they dont throw stable hyzers well, it makes sense to add a new one to cover that throw. If you run that process for 5 or 10 years and dont loose a ton of discs you will have a lot of different stabilities of your favorite molds to choose from.

The biggest problem with wearing discs in is if you loose an old thrower that is super well seasoned to turnover you can have a huge hole in your bag you cant easily replace. For this reason I have a few alternate molds that I dont regularly bag, but will stand in for tournament or league play if I loose a go to old thrower while im working something in to replace it (for me its mako3s, leopards, and vulcan topped destroyers to stand in for seasoned rocs, teebirds, and more stable destroyers).

This process doesnt work particularly well for premium plastic and/or drivers cuz it just takes forever to beat the stability out of a premium plastic driver. Im just now needing to add a stable teebird back to my bag after using the same star one for literally 6 years, and the new one still wont see a lot of throws.

I bag different ages/stabilities of rocs, teebirds, and leopards. I used to do the same with aviars but I changed putters this year. I also used to cycle pro destroyers, but the mold has gotten so inconsistent that it isnt practical to do that anymore. If I can ever beat the stability out of my thunderbirds ill do the same with them

Keep in mind how often pro's play, we are talking multiple rounds a day, and the rate at which their discs season is exponentially higher when compared to you and I. More often then not I see people carrying 3-4 of the same mold to "be like the pros", but they are all fairly new and fly the exact same. I would recommend finding those 5-7 molds that are your go to's, buy back ups, and then cycle the backups in once your primary throwers are truly seasoned/not true to the numbers. There are obviously exceptions to this rule, i.e. not all plastics for a given mold fly the same etc.

My bag is a hybrid of the two schools of thought. I cycle putters and mids because they have been in my bag for a long time now. I only have one driver I truly cycle and the rest I carry 1-2 backups because I lose discs very easily but never throw them.

This is very true. I don't get to go out and play nearly as much as I'd like to, and therefore can't cycle discs too much. There are a few discs that I try hard to cycle, but otherwise I keep a lot of fresh molds in my bag that do what worn discs would do. I carry 21 discs and 18 molds to tournaments, but I'm starting to play more often now and some of them are wearing down. I think that next season I'll be carrying a few less molds.

Carrying multiples of one mold is really more of a passive process then something you set out to do intentionally, at least for me anyway. Your favorite molds are going to get thrown a ton. After 6 months of heavy use you'll still like them, but theyll be less stable. Once it gets to the point where they dont throw stable hyzers well, it makes sense to add a new one to cover that throw. If you run that process for 5 or 10 years and dont loose a ton of discs you will have a lot of different stabilities of your favorite molds to choose from.

The biggest problem with wearing discs in is if you loose an old thrower that is super well seasoned to turnover you can have a huge hole in your bag you cant easily replace. For this reason I have a few alternate molds that I dont regularly bag, but will stand in for tournament or league play if I loose a go to old thrower while im working something in to replace it (for me its mako3s, leopards, and vulcan topped destroyers to stand in for seasoned rocs, teebirds, and more stable destroyers).

This process doesnt work particularly well for premium plastic and/or drivers cuz it just takes forever to beat the stability out of a premium plastic driver. Im just now needing to add a stable teebird back to my bag after using the same star one for literally 6 years, and the new one still wont see a lot of throws.

This is all true. I have a high PLH Z pred that was in the bag for the entire 10 years I have been playing. It is broken in teebird straight. This winter is the first time the disc was not in my bag because I am dropping the predator mold all together... I will miss the disc, but it was starting to almost get unreliable. It always was fun to throw a slow smooth hyzerflip that tracks right for a while and barely fades. When everyone asks "man, great shot! what did you throw" the puzzled look on their face when you say Z Predator is priceless.

I incidentally throw all Roc's for my mid-ranges. Every single one. But i don't think it's any better than throwing different molds because all 5 of my discs are SUPER different. My Roc3 and Rancho are really, really overstable, and the other three are each in a stage of breaking in. From brand new and a strong fade, to REALLY beat in and dives right out of my hand... they are all different.

Personally I naturally select about 20 discs and 13 different molds at any given time.

Just choose whichever discs you personally like best based on your judgement alone, no matter your reasoning. Feel satisfied with the discs you carry, and instead focus on giving your absolute best effort on every shot. When you focus on golf the discs you do not like quite as much as the others will naturally weed themselves out. Stash them if you can as your preferences will change. Your discs will change continuously as they wear, become lost, and as your preferences change. They will never stop steadily replacing one another unless you stop playing. Don't try to get an edge from discs, just throw what works for you and try to get an edge in skill.

thing that is key to remember, as stated earlier:

pro players are seasoning discs all day, just about every day.

different plastics in the same mold can provide varying flight characteristics. even the same plastic if you hunt PLH.

i approach it two ways: i cycle through kc aviars right now, but that may be ending. i may keep one freshish for drives/approach, one freshish or seasoned for putts. i bookend with dx polecats, easy to cycle through.

kc rocs, same principle. hunt high PLH, get dx rocs to beat in quick. eventually i won't need the dx anymore, but it only takes a few trees to make a dx roc fly straight.

teebirds, same deal. champ/star and gstar/dx. one more durable and high plh, capable of long-term use and useful across its lifespan which is basically forever. the other is less durable, capable of versatility within a short period of time.

anything above that is premium plastic, hunted for high/low PLH.

you don't need to switch your bag up, you just need to do what works for you.

Latest posts