• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

*Inaugural DGCR March Madness Mold Championship*

Just voted for the first time, wish I had gotten into the action earlier! BIG thanks to Menacewarf for setting this up. Here's my two cents for next year: I do like an equal number of each type (putter, mid, fairway, distance driver) but I think if we put too much in to the voting and seeding it will make the bracket less fun. Seeding and voting are important for the NCAA because an actual game is taking place, but it is kind of silly to have a popularity contest precede what is essentially a popularity contest. Plus in basketball (and other sports) teams can be better or worse year to year, but we are voting on the all-time opinion of the disc, so the people's feelings for a roc or TeeBird isn't going to change much year to year. The only real factors are who votes, how many people, and maybe if a new mold can make a splash. Don't get me wrong, I love the bracket, but if it was seeded perfectly, there wouldn't be any upsets, right? I think it would almost be more fun if we took a random sample of discs, threw them into a bracket, and then voted. You might get a matchup equivalent to two 1 seeds facing off in the first or second round, but it would be way harder to predict what happens and each year the chance of a different outcome would be greater. Plus you wouldn't have people arguing over whether a popular mold should be a 1,2, or 3 seed. Disc selection wouldn't really be that important, you could seed them based on whatever the order is you pull the name out of a hat, and then people might actually have more fun voting for their favorite especially if you get a totally bizarre, less popular disc matchup in a later round. Just a thought. Don't flame, I'm not hating on this format, just trying to think of ways to keep it interesting year to year. You could even do it my way too in addition to this format. Think of it as the NIT :D

Nice input blammo. I might have to set an alarm to shut this down in an hour, I'm getting tired, accidentally woke up at 1:30 am last night and only napped 5 min since.

Sorry I fell asleep but it didn't change the results.

Roc 76.44% 172 votes
def
Destroyer 23.56% 53 votes

Buzzz 53.13% 119 votes
def
Teebird 46.88% 105 votes

Couldn't bielieve how tight that second match was. Luckily if it had shifted after midnight I could have filterd out votes by when they came in but Buzzz eeeked it out either way.

Well this has been a lot of fun even though I didn't fill a bracket out I have enjoyed voting and seeing the results. For next years tournament what about some conference play to build a discs resume. It probably doesn't make sense for innova and discraft but for the smaller manufactures make a poll with all there discs and people can vote. Really small companies get one qualifier others could get more based on how the voting goes and a general consensus. That way we can be sure each manufacture is represent by their top molds. Blammo's idea of not seeding is interesting. I agree that we shouldn't spend to much time seeding because then their wouldn't be any upsets but I wouldn't want to see all the top molds in one region. Maybe pick a top 8 or 16, seed them, and leave the rest more up to chance. Except make sure each smaller company has their discs distributed evenly throughout the regions. I.e. if there are 3 MVP discs they would be in 3 different regions. Thanks for organizing this menacewarf.

Nicely done. The championship is exactly what I thought it would be, but it's been fun. I agree that the top two should be in the Hall of Fame. It sucks for me being a Buzzz guy, because I feel like the Roc is going to win and my disc of choice is going to be disqualified from ever being crowned champion, but it makes more sense than just putting the champ in the Hall. If we did that (as I've said previously), we'd pretty much have a guarantee that the runner up each year would win the next.

You should also talk to the mods next year about creating a temporary stickie so you don't have to keep bumping this page throughout the tournament.

Thanks for the input guys.

Here is the payout for the brackets. 1st chooses anything. 2nd anything but the Rhyno or Comet. 3rd -6th choose anything from the single row in order.

22df76289fc110451f7b75cac20ed9b5.jpg

The green protostar is the Ape and Orange is vulcan. Let me know if you want to know any weights. After the finals on Tuesday post your choices here if you are in the top 6.

Also the rhyno and comet have a bit of storage wear. Let me know Steve if you would like me to take better pictures of that.

Am I locked in for the win?
This is actually the first bracket I've ever filled out and I don't know a lot about the points system.
What's the weight on that Comet?

The scoring is each round is worth an extra point (1st round 1 point, 6th round 6 points). So with you being up on Sias the next closest Buzzz win choice exactly 6 points, and this round being worth 6 points even if Buzzz wins you will tie you in points. The tiebreaker the site suggests is who got their bracket in first and I can't think of a more fair way to do it. So yea, Im 99.9% sure you are assured a victory either way by 2 hours and 49 minutes :thmbup:

The comet is exactly 175 and the rhyno is 172.2. The LE Comet has a rainbow stamp and the Pro Rhyno has a green.

Last edited:
So we ended up getting a buzzz vs roc debate after all. I believe this should decide it all and we shall never see a roc vs buzzz thread again....well for atleast 2 weeks when someone ask what mid they should buy

I'm just shocked at the comeback I've had! I was 30 something after the first round, but I'm one buzzz win away from the tie (second since I was at work... :( )? That's pretty awesome!!!

I'm just shocked at the comeback I've had! I was 30 something after the first round, but I'm one buzzz win away from the tie (second since I was at work... :( )? That's pretty awesome!!!

Nice picking. Again im feeling generous. I'll let second choose from anything including what Steve doesn't pick and pay out a extra spot. :). That makes 7 spots paid out. I'm just stoked that what was a brief idea has been popular and has kept people intreasted and entertained.

This Rhyno vs. Comet decision is tougher than a lot of the picks!
I have a Comet in the bag, but I hear Rhyno's are great for one disc rounds.
I've never thrown a Rhyno though, so I'm leaning towards the Comet.

Both are sweet discs and out of production. I personally find the comet more blingin because of the rainbow stamp but these old pro Rhynos feel great. Also the Rhyno has a bit more storage wear but if you are planning on throwing it that shouldn't matter too much.

So we ended up getting a buzzz vs roc debate after all. I believe this should decide it all and we shall never see a roc vs buzzz thread again....well for atleast 2 weeks when someone ask what mid they should buy

Lol. Yea it would be nice to just sticky the poll results! We have a huge sample size already for just being open today.

Ohhhh...
OOP you say?
That I didn't know.
I think I'll stick with the Comet, but keep it stashed back with a few other collectibles I have.

Thanks for putting together this sweet little contest, Menacewarf!

Best of luck to the rest of the field jockeying for position!