• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Inconsistencies

MBlackmon

Hey guys,

Lately my playing has been really inconsistent. One day I will be throwing straight down the fair way and hitting all the puts and the next I will grip lock almost every drive. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can get more consistent when I play? I'm just getting really frustrated :wall:

Slow down, and relax. Try and be smooth. This happened to me on my last round on Thursday. I hadn't played in so long that I was trying to be a hero on every throw. By hole 17 I woke up, and slowed down and relaxed, and had my best few throws of the round on 17, and 18.

The only thing I'm consistent at is being inconsistent.

Slowing down, smoothing it out and relaxing are good ideas. If it gets too frustrating that's the time to take a week or more off.

I feel the only thing to help with consistency is practice. On the course and out in the field.

Take a mid range and a putter, or just the putter and go play a couple rounds. Takes the pressure off, how are you supposed to shoot your best rounds with those? Makes it fun and you really get to know your discs and what they will do, consistently.

Take a mid range and a putter, or just the putter and go play a couple rounds. Takes the pressure off, how are you supposed to shoot your best rounds with those? Makes it fun and you really get to know your discs and what they will do, consistently.

And to build off this solid advice...

When my game starts to go in the tank, I'll resist the temptation to unleash the epic shot and throw a nice / smooth / relaxed shot with the familiar midrange or putter. Amazing what being in the fairway will do for your state of mind.

To take that a step farther, I've concocted an elaborate plan that's gonna take some time. But I think in the end, I'll be a much better player. For my next 10 rounds, I'm taking nothing but my putters. The next 10 rounds, I'm only going to add a stable mid (Warship.) The following 10 rounds, I'll throw in my over stable and understable mids. For 10 rounds after that, I'll add a stable fairway driver. 10 more rounds after with added over and understable fairways. Then 10 rounds with a stable driver. Then finally 10 rounds with everything. See the pattern. Yeah I know that's a lot of rounds. But oh well. There is a method to my madness. It's something I've put a lot of thought into and I'm a disc golf geek. So be it! Lol

70 rounds of patience!
70 rounds of big picture thinking!
70 rounds of simplicity!
70 rounds of technique!
70 rounds of learning you probably have twice as many discs as you really need!

I commend your efforts.

I do similar conceptual games. One putter US mid. One putter stable mid. And so on. I haven't thrown a driver over speed 9 in over two months. And am holding out until June-ish.

Discipline!

I feel the only thing to help with consistency is practice. On the course and out in the field.

As I say to myself after a bad throw or bad round "That's nothing that a few thousand practice throws can't fix."
This Winter, I'm concentrating on field time to gain the elusive consistency and accuracy. I hope to smooth out my full-power throw by dissecting and recreating my run-up and release.
I'm a few hundred throws in to my goal of "a few thousand", but I fully aim to come out of my few thousand with a better, smoother, more consistent motion.

Take it from me, when you get frustrated enough, you'll put in some field time.

I have to say the biggest thing that helped with my consistency is consistently using the same routine before each throw. That is I use the same motions before each throw to focus on what I want to do and set myself to be lined up how I need to be. Same order same routine. On putts and trouble shots I even use a three count before I throw. Having that routine centers my focus and even if my shot goes badly, as long as I set up with the routine I am still focused to the point where I know exactly what I did wrong and what I need to do to correct it on the next throw.

When I practice sometimes I relax the routine and there is a noticeable difference in the quality of my throws. So, like others have said, if things aren't working. I have to stop being in a hurry and go back to my routine to get the most out of the game or practice.

If grip lock is a problem very often, check your pull line. If you're rounding your throw, grip lock is much more likely.

If grip lock is a problem very often, check your pull line. If you're rounding your throw, grip lock is much more likely.

This is good advice. I used to think I had an issue with grip lock, then discovered I was rotating/pulling too soon. That would cause my plant foot to land to the right of where I was throwing, and that would cause my throw to follow the direction of my plant foot. My grip was releasing fine.

So basically what everyone else has said, try to slow down the runup/throw and make sure your plant foot lands directly inline with where you want to throw.

Same as professional ball golfers, you can set a stopwatch to their routines, same every time. I was way off today, and the last throw on 18 I found I was pulling different, not bringing the disc to the chest, I guess you might call that a form of rounding, Causing both early release AND grip-lock. I'm thinking a pre-tee off warm up routine would help, going through runup, Beto drill, timing (not throwing, just going through fundamentals and rehearsing with a towel or disc), pulling to the right pec before release, rotating on the plant heel, just 10 or 15 half speed rehearsal routine before a round would eliminate a lot of inconsistency. Kind of a check list before flying a plane. Even so, playing every day is my goal, even playing bad disc golf is a good day. My only priority: avoid injuries so I can play the next day. I'll take quantity over quality, I need the exercise and the getting out. If I need specific mechanical analysis, I'll video throwing into a net and watch Sias Elmore on youtube, just absorb his timing. BTW, Sias Elmore is the greatest name ever.