• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Indoor Disc Golf?

I would LOVE to play indoor disc golf. Being that I'm from Michigan and it's winter I've been thinking about this a lot recently. Best of luck!

Absolutely. There's nothing worse than seeing people on here talk about how they are playing all the time and then you look outside and its snowing...*sigh*

I do want to play a game in the snow though....

You would have to use white netting. I work in the paintball industry and I can tell you that the black safety netting indoor will make the place DARK. One of our indoor facilities has black netting, and our other white. There is a huge difference.

Paintball + disc golf at the same time. One team plays DG and the other tries to shoot them down.

Today I toured an old Fruit of the Loom plant in North GA with the local Chamber of Commerce. Once we got into the production area...the first thing I thought was...wow this would be awesome for some indoor disc golf.

I asked the property manager if it would be possible. He said it would if it was for a fund raiser. You can see in the pictures, there is more then enough room. Question is what would it take to get it ready and would you play?

should've read the thread before posting. All those posts are really no different than a crazy amount of trees...except they may hurt your discs more :\

What I need to do is just find a big open indoor place like that where I can just throw during the winter. I hate having to spend a week or more during the spring trying to get back into form. :thmbdown:

Edit:
Paintball + disc golf at the same time. One team plays DG and the other tries to shoot them down.

OMG YES!!! play one round and then switch? Talk about EPIC!

Hi I'm new to the forum. Recently I had an opportunity presented to me. The building of a 9 hole indoor disc golf course. We have also talked of making it a black light course part or most of the time. So I have a few questions.

Has this been done before?
If so, are there any successful courses open now?
Would you be willing to pay to play?
How much would you be willing to pay?
Could 9 holes be challenging with in 20000 sq.ft.?
How often would you play?
Anything I missed you want to add or suggest?

Thanks!

Buddy/me kicked a similar idea around this past winter.* We have a lot of unused industrial warehouses in the area, and we were getting kicked off our local course by 3:45PM on account of daylight. (seriously)

It would (should?) be limited to a pitch and putt.* Use industrial fans for wind (wind is to disc golf, as sloping terrain is to golf greens) and skating ramp setups for elevation changes, netting to separate fairways.* I thought maybe padded structuring and indoor/fake plants for obstacles, but the paintball obstacles are a great idea.*

Also…. a separate area for pro clinics (a driving net area, slow mo cam analysis, personal training), another for testing out putters.* Maybe have a location with a large field area next doors for driving practices.*

Thing is, good weather and daylight will hurt your bottom line. Personally I'd play maybe once or twice a month, but only due to daylight.

Last edited:
9 holes in 20,000 square feet sounds very, very tight. Let's say your 'fairways' are 20 feet wide. That mean the total length of the course MAXIMUM is 1,000 feet, or 111 feet per hole.

Right? Or is my logic/math bad?

I think your math is right. However, there are some advantages to an indoor course I think. You could have multiple layouts that would probably easy to change around. Portable baskets, obstacles, etc. would allow for a different layout every time you could think of one.

You are right though gooddrivebadputt. To me, it would get pretty boring playing holes where you could essentially jump putt.

Yup, that would be mini golf...

You probably need 50,000 sq ft to make something legit, at the very minimum. 100,000 would be better!!

If it was well done, I would pay $5 every once in a while to mix things up.

im a union roofer here in michigan and most of my work is on the auto plants. some of them are fully capable of having 5000+ft courses with over 60 acres of floorspace, and some of them are non functional. so now we just need a millionaire to help us out. maybe someone should have bought the pontiac silverdome a few years back. i think it sold for less that 600,000.

That wouldn't qualify as indoor golf anymore

silverdome-winds1.jpg

This place needs a disc golf course: http://www.weather.com/travel/vacationtips/tropical-islands-indoor-resort-20130220

Obviously you'd have to work around the fact that there's people everywhere...

Always thought a structure like that, or a dome, would be very cool to build something in three dimensionally: at 50-60' per "level", you'd have miles of potential flight lines above the floor, up rampways, down and across balconies, etc. :clap:

...and for those talking about the feasibility...one can dream. i just can't believe the folks who did the swim level didn't think of going up (look at picture 10 for an idea of the wasted space) and adding restaurants, hotel space, theater, etc anyway.

Last edited:
The last time the lottery was over 500 million, obviously the ideas of how to spend it ran rampant in my mind on my ride home from work (I drive 90 minutes each way). In that time I figured out exactly how I could make it feasible, most of what was already suggested here with artifical elevation, using existing beams as "trees", carpeting the floor, netting the fairway and ceilings, having lit corridors and obstacles for "night" rounds, and making everything movable so the course could be completely modified in a matter of hours.

Some of my wilder ideas included:

1) Security cameras that film your round and you can purchase it afterward.

2) If the building is multiple levels, the top floor would have an OB hole in the floor (netting to keep it from going downstairs), and on nicer days have a top of the world shot to a basket outside.

3) Have a fully stocked Pro Shop that could compete with any online retailer, thus making it a destination whether you are there to play or just purchase.

4) Have "after hours" reservations for parties where lights can be turned off or some netting is removed to make a 6 hole course instead of 9, but the holes are exceedingly challenging.

5) Have a ton of rubber plants that are resilient to damage so it can act like schule.

If there was any real problem, it would be from the abundance of positive response. These type of courses can only hold so many people at a time. You would either need to establish tee times and or charge a higher price to make up for only having a few people capable of running the course at a time. Being rich and not caring about the bottom line helps, but it would still be a business.