• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova KATANA

ordered a silver pro katana last friday and still haven't got an email saying it even shipped. been anxious and hopefull everyday that it might show up as the michigan weather is holding on by a thread for end of season disc golf. lol did everyone get an email saying it shipped or disc just show up.

When I started playing DG, Innova was lucky to release 1 new disc every year or every other year. Same with Discraft. Now we have multiple releases every year. Progress.

Now, one thing that I have noticed much like many other players is that throwing a high speed driver with a tailwind can travel less distance than say a Sidewinder or a Valk in the same wind. So, I thought the Groove was going to be the answer for this but maybe the Katana is much more suited for this condition.

I don't order discs online so I'll wait until the local shop has some.

ordered a silver pro katana last friday and still haven't got an email saying it even shipped. been anxious and hopefull everyday that it might show up as the michigan weather is holding on by a thread for end of season disc golf. lol did everyone get an email saying it shipped or disc just show up.

I'm in the same boat. Ordered on 10/22 and haven't heard a peep.

I'm in the same boat. Ordered on 10/22 and haven't heard a peep.

I'm feeling the same way you guys are, I ordered mine on October 22nd as well, and haven't heard a peep from them at all. I sent them an email today so hopefully I get one back in a couple days. I got the First Run Japan Open Champion Katana Blems, let me know if anyone gets theirs.

Unless it slices through trees I am not upgrading. I am pretty content with my bag right now.

I ordered mine on the 22nd as well, and I never got a conformation email, but the disc was delivered today(I live in NJ). So I wouldn't worry to much.

I threw a Pro Katana a few times today and wasn't too impressed. Way too flippy for me personally. It seems like a disc that could really help players who can't break the 350-375 foot mark.
I'm really digging the Pro Boss though.

flippy compared to what!!! what disc would you compare it to stability wise. more flippy than r pro boss or more stable. more or less flippy than a wraith for example. thanks

I throw Wraiths, Destroyers, and Bosses for max D which is consistently a bit over 400'
It's not quite as flippy as an R-Pro Boss, but it is significantly flipper than everything I listed above. I had to release with a ton of hyzer to get it to to come back after flexing hard right. I think the Sidewinder on roids was a good description.
I just got a Pro Boss and am very happy with it. It performed a lot better than the Katana that I borrowed.

Any word on how the champ compares to the Pro Katana?

After losing 2 discs on the first hole of my round yesterday, I didnt even attempt to throw my Katana. It stayed safely in my bag.

I throw in the 430-430 range and here are my thoughts

Champ= speed 13 Valk
Pro+ Speed 13 Roadrunner

I was getting full flights out of these in the 410-460 range.

????? pd/dd what does it stand for
pro destroyer/dx destroyer

PD = overstable driver from Discmania
DD = Quest Double D?

Have never tried either.

Edit: DD is Discmania's new? distance driver

Last edited:
They are discmania drivers

PD is the Power Driver and is a firebird with that top and flies like a fast Teebird

DD is the Distance Driver and is a straight long driver.

So i've played 4 holes, and have had about a dozen field throws with a 161 R-Pro Katana, my usual driver weight is 164-167, so I figure its comparable to my other drivers (Apache, Destroyer, Sidewinder, Genesis). With those drivers, I've been hitting 270ft... I know, I am one of those guys who should be throwing slower drivers, I am working on a Sabre and a Teebird but havent been able to get those past 230ft... but im working on it... thats not what this thread is about.

The holes I have played with the Katana have been wide open, after my experience with the R-Pro boss, I learned not to throw it when trees are in sight. The first couple of throws were hyzer flips about 10-15ft high... they flipped up quickly, turned and finished right at about 230ft. Then I tried backing off by slowing down my steps and pulling back on the power, and tried to throw at about 70% flat. Still turned quite abit, but it did come back for a slow fade that got it out to about 260ft.

Like I said though, I've only thrown it in open fields. As a max distance driver... meh, it doesnt do anything extraordinary, and I get better distance throwing a sidewinder without worrying about turning it over. I don't know its value is a long range turnover driver, so far it seems that it may do well, but the R-Pro plastic makes me fear trees.

I had never broken 400 until I threw this disc. Now granted it was a huge hyzer flip and didnt go anywhere near where I wanted it to but this disc will go FOREVER. But for guys who are already throwing Destroyers 400+ i really dont see the use.

I had never broken 400 until I threw this disc. Now granted it was a huge hyzer flip and didnt go anywhere near where I wanted it to but this disc will go FOREVER. But for guys who are already throwing Destroyers 400+ i really dont see the use.

It is if you can control a disc.

Latest posts