• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Nova

Loving the Glow

PUBig7Cl.jpg

Who bought the rest? Was asking him for shipping costs to Sweden! :D

If anyone want to sell a 175+ nova I want to pare it with my 165...

Around 172, but I'm comfortable throwing putters from 167-175g.

The issue I have with the Nova is it seems to stick to my hand too much. When it releases cleanly it flies great, but it seems a little grippier than I like. I prefer throwing Classic Aviars as I find them to fly pretty much the same as the Nova but with a cleaner release.

What weight do you guys prefer on it?

DOTS (depends on the situation). I have Novas at 175, 172, and 165g. The 165 goes farther than the others, but the 172 is most accurate. But I don't throw Novas much, as I always seem to find a way for one of the compass points to cut my finger, and otherwise I'm not comfortable with the grip...

Not sure why I waited so long to try the nova or why this thread is almost a year and a half dead. This is a great disc if you like to throw b lines to your target. First rpund today and I nailed basket several times on upshots and near aces on a couple holes. The glide is magical and just when I think its going to drop,it keeps going.

Same - never threw the Nova until this weekend, got inspired to try a new slow approach disc and decided it was time. Floaty but not understable, holds initial line very well through it's whole flight. Easy to range despite it's glide, probably because it flies slower than other putters. Seems to check up well on hard pan approaches.

Interested to see how well the XT plastic ages. Does it tend to actually get understable, or become squirrely since it's already fairly neutral?

i actually took my nova out a while back because it was a one trick pony for me. i just couldnt learn the extra spin on it for touch shots that needed to finish understable. it was great on straight and slight left finishing shots but i kept wanting to use it for anhyzers and just couldnt make it work. granted i did have a beat up p2 for those shots, i just decided to take the nova out and replace it with my dx aviar3 ,it just fit my style of play more so. i think if i had room to carry another putter, i would put the nova back in. i had great shots with it and lots of throw ins.

i actually took my nova out a while back because it was a one trick pony for me. i just couldnt learn the extra spin on it for touch shots that needed to finish understable. it was great on straight and slight left finishing shots but i kept wanting to use it for anhyzers and just couldnt make it work. granted i did have a beat up p2 for those shots, i just decided to take the nova out and replace it with my dx aviar3 ,it just fit my style of play more so. i think if i had room to carry another putter, i would put the nova back in. i had great shots with it and lots of throw ins.
What are your current driving putters? It sounds your old setup is similar to my current one. My driving putters are an S-P2 (overstable), XT Nova (straight) & a beat up D-P2 (understable). In years past I cycled KC Aviars. When I stopped cycling KC Aviars I stopped carrying an understable putter. I just recently rediscovered how awesome a flippy driving putter can be. I rocked with just a Nova & an overstable putter for a long time.

What are your current driving putters? It sounds your old setup is similar to my current one. My driving putters are an S-P2 (overstable), XT Nova (straight) & a beat up D-P2 (understable). In years past I cycled KC Aviars. When I stopped cycling KC Aviars I stopped carrying an understable putter. I just recently rediscovered how awesome a flippy driving putter can be. I rocked with just a Nova & an overstable putter for a long time.

i have always carried 4 putters
1 dp2 putting only
1 beat dp2 for understable putt/approach
1 straight stable driving putter
1 overstable driving putter

for the longest time i carried 4 p2's then i went to a pair of soft tanks,then i tried the nova and a tank ,tank and a rhyno and have since switched to the dx aviar3 and star aviar3 for driving duties.

the nova was good for me at certain ranges but became inconsistent for me on longer shots that i needed to put more power behind it.

Have been throwing the Nova for a month or two and it's really taking over my ~100' approach game.

Originally wanted this disc for touchier BH throws because it seemed to fly like a smaller Ultrastar: glidey and easy to hold a line at <50% power.

However, I've been pleasantly surprised that the Nova feels OK in a palm-up FH grip and flies great on dead straight and gentle anny lines. Those shots became consistent faster than I expected; not much motion required with a firm snap of the wrist but very little arm. Especially in the trees, the step-out-right Nova FH has become a staple in my game. Very useful shot, and it's really satisfying to see that funny looking disc fly slowly and plop down next to the basket.

Oddly, the Nova just doesn't seem to work for me on FH hyzer angles, so I've been using a JK Pro Aviar when I want that neutral/glidey putter flight on a hyzer line. Not sure what the difference is. I'm using the same grip.

Bah, sorry to add some hate to the thread, but I never clicked with the Nova. As mentioned by someone above, it had a tendency to stick to my hands; not necessarily because of grippiness, but more just catching the meat of my fingers. Also, it did not power down well for me. During MN Ams this May (my first serious competition in nearly seven months), after round 1 I found that I was sorely missing a dead-straight approach disc for 100 and in. I had been using my Pures, but for whatever reason, they suddenly seemed too stable for the situation and often faded out, quite often out of my comfortable putting range.

I immediately auditioned the only two discs I could get my hands on that late on a Saturday; a Pa4 and a Nova. On two occasions where I needed about 120 feet, its lack of glide dropped it down after 70. The first instance was on a difficult par 3 that I easily had the longest drive and was going to get an easy par. I ended up 50 from the basket, proceeding to three-putt it. Turned what would have been the only par on the card to the only double bogey. The Pa4 fared a little better, but not enough to impress me to stay in the bag.

That week I invested in Champion Polecats and have not looked back. However, to be fair, I could drive with the Nova, something I cannot do with the Polecats - they become unpredictable after 145 feet.

Bah, sorry to add some hate to the thread, but I never clicked with the Nova. As mentioned by someone above, it had a tendency to stick to my hands; not necessarily because of grippiness, but more just catching the meat of my fingers. Also, it did not power down well for me. During MN Ams this May (my first serious competition in nearly seven months), after round 1 I found that I was sorely missing a dead-straight approach disc for 100 and in. I had been using my Pures, but for whatever reason, they suddenly seemed too stable for the situation and often faded out, quite often out of my comfortable putting range.

I immediately auditioned the only two discs I could get my hands on that late on a Saturday; a Pa4 and a Nova. On two occasions where I needed about 120 feet, its lack of glide dropped it down after 70. The first instance was on a difficult par 3 that I easily had the longest drive and was going to get an easy par. I ended up 50 from the basket, proceeding to three-putt it. Turned what would have been the only par on the card to the only double bogey. The Pa4 fared a little better, but not enough to impress me to stay in the bag.

That week I invested in Champion Polecats and have not looked back. However, to be fair, I could drive with the Nova, something I cannot do with the Polecats - they become unpredictable after 145 feet.

Sorry dude, Polecats are the opposite of unpredictable.

Sorry dude, Polecats are the opposite of unpredictable.

The side of my yard is 140 feet to the temp basket. I can run it from there and still be within putting distance. If I skip over the corner of the neighbor's yard and throw from the vacant lot, I stretch it to 145 to 170. At that point, any imperfection in the throw (due to a low branch, I am throwing only level shots) will be amplified. In an open field, just to clarify, I bet I could still control a hyzer fade back in on the basket, but usually at that point I am already throwing my Pure because they are pinpoint accurate up to 250 feet.

To bring it back to the Nova, it seemed rather useless inside of 150 feet, where power needed to be added to give it any go. It just did not power down well for me; like it was a glideless brick.

I've had similar experiences with the Nova. It's great from about 125 to 180 feet. Anything less than that and it is wildly unpredictable. Since I'm usually not jump putting from 80 feet, I need something that I can power down and set up by the basket. I was using a puddle topped Pro-D Roach for these straight shots previously but lately I've settled on the K3 Reko for every straight shot from 60-200 feet. 350g Pa2 if I need a little more fade. The Nova definitely throws some neat shots but I just can't work it into my bag. There's too many other putters I find that do more and are more versitile.

I tried a Nova once, hated it and traded it off.

Then I remembered that I had once done the same with the Comet, so I bought another and learned to love them, so I thought I wold give the Nova another chance.

Nope, I pretty much hate it. I would often play two disc rounds,( Aero versus Nova) trying to get used to it. The Aero would always kick the Nova's butt. so, I traded it off once again, and no, I don't bag an Aero either. I use a beat special blend Wizard for those shots now.

I will say that I've had more throw ins with a Nova from 100-150 feet than any other putter by a long shot. It does that really really well when running it. It's not always the most score efficient shot, but sometimes when you need that miracle, it delivers.

I will say that I've had more throw ins with a Nova from 100-150 feet than any other putter by a long shot. It does that really really well when running it. It's not always the most score efficient shot, but sometimes when you need that miracle, it delivers.

I use it for a lot of other shots too, but running it from 100-200 with a make-able comebacker is definitely the Nova's forte

I like the Nova a lot, just wish the Nubbies weren't a thing and that it was Juuuuuuust tick more stable. but yeah its great for running a long shot . I missed my mark on a drive on this one hole. I ended up on a hill in the trees. Had about a 100 ft downhill throw-in, one of the most beautiful throws I've made. Nova, straight hover, sliiight hyzer fade into the perfect center of chains. it was a beauty.

I tend to lean towards the Serpent now for straight approach shots because I trust it more with wind, but I still bag the nova depending on the course and conditions, its a cool disc for sure

OM 4 Ever

I like to play 2 disc Atlas/Nova vs. Tangent/Anode rounds as often as I can, at least a couple of times per month. The scores are remarkably similar.

Latest posts