• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

I've been messing with the shryke and I am not sure if I am 100% sold yet. I don't get to play as much as I like to these days so I am trying to find a disc I can throw off the shelf how I want it to fly and the shryke was attempting to fill the beat destroyer slot. It cannot handle a hint of wind, but if definitely goes in a tailwind or calm conditions. I am having a little consistency issues with it which is making me want to stick with the beat destroyers, but I am going to keep working with it. I have been using a couple star, but I just put a champ in the bag so we will see how that goes. Really easy to put out over 400 though, I will give it that.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever thrown a Destroyer that was beat to the point that a Shryke starts out at. There's quite a bit of difference in stability between the two molds. I can toss a Shryke probably 50' further than a Destroyer fairly consistently. That distance isn't always accurate. The Shryke is far more prone to errant drives than a Destroyer.

I use Shrykes more for open hyzer flip shots, whereas I use Destroyers for more controlled, slightly shorter drivers where accuracy is a must. I agree that Shrykes are no good in any type of headwind. They do well in tailwinds though.

I think you pretty much have to bag both molds if you want to throw Destroyers and Shrykes. I don't think a Shryke can fill the role of even a beat Destroyer.

I just got my shrykes in today and got to play a round and throw them some.

GtKoV5zl.jpg

I got some color glow champ shrykes. I was tempted to try some lighter ones in the high 160g's range but went with max 175g weight (i was a fan of max weight champ terns/ddx because the lighter ones beat in to too flippy quickly in my experience).

I was surprised at how understable the shrykes are right off the first throw. they're not tern flippy but seemed less stable than usual new star wraiths.

I can see how these are bombers, nice easy hyzer flip throws of 350-375ft with backhand. i still haven't figured out the best backhand release angles but it seems similar to throwing a ddx/tern.

and what I was really curious about: I can sidearm these shrykes smoothly with the deeper rim (similar to a wraith depth in feeling). it was very comfortable and nice to get a hyzerflip to straight then fade for longer tunnel shots on sidearm low ceiling lines.

i've been relying on beat in echostar destroyers to get the hyzerflip to straight on tunnel fairways with sidearm but the ones i bag are now a little too flippy (sadly echostar is being phased out). normal star destroyers are still too OS and require flex lines for me.

Anything over 375' with a Shryke you'll probably need some hyzerflip to maximize distance. I've found the Shryke to be good for a pretty reliable 440' in calm conditions or downwind. I won't use them in any sort of headwind though.

I can't think of one mold Innova makes I'd choose over the Shryke for sheer distance. Bombs away. I found the Shryke to be somewhat flippy, but not as touchy as a Tern. Faster and glidier too.

I've only thrown one Shryke in my life, once, but it was handed to me by Avery Jenkins while we were at the same Oklahoma course. It was a heavy, not-clear champion. I threw it backhand and got a decent flight but not as much flip as I hoped for.

Looking back, I bet he had already picked one he knew wasn't flippy. I'd love to get a similar one, cuz I know that thing would bomb.

I've only thrown one Shryke in my life, once, but it was handed to me by Avery Jenkins while we were at the same Oklahoma course. It was a heavy, not-clear champion. I threw it backhand and got a decent flight but not as much flip as I hoped for.

Looking back, I bet he had already picked one he knew wasn't flippy. I'd love to get a similar one, cuz I know that thing would bomb.

If you want a Shryke with some flip to it, try a 168ish G*. They will turn noticeably, but generally won't flip all the way over unless you throw them into a headwind. Massive bombs and a huge flexy flight.

I like the Tern, and I feel the Shryke and Tern fly similarly. I get a steady 30'+ more out of the Shryke though. The Tern seems to have a bit of a sharper fade than the Shryke. It slows down and just dies.

Picked up a 175g Splatter Star Lisa Fajkus Shryke and this thing BOMBS. i was hoping it would fly similar to my beat in star boss, its almost identical. This disc is awesome. it really seriously does feels like a seasoned star boss right out of the box. nice turn if you rip on it flat, but also holds a very long very straight flip up line if you give it some hyzer. Im so glad i have found a replacement for the day i eventually lose my seasoned star boss. two thumbs up for the Shryke. it will fit right into that beat star plastic bomber max distance slot without having to beat it in for a year. awesome distance disc for people who cant get over on a destroyer, but turn over katanas. Shrykes fit right between in that sweet zone of stability and flippiness for max controlled distance that previously only beat in star discs could achieve IMO.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't think I've ever thrown a Destroyer that was beat to the point that a Shryke starts out at. There's quite a bit of difference in stability between the two molds. I can toss a Shryke probably 50' further than a Destroyer fairly consistently. That distance isn't always accurate. The Shryke is far more prone to errant drives than a Destroyer.

I use Shrykes more for open hyzer flip shots, whereas I use Destroyers for more controlled, slightly shorter drivers where accuracy is a must. I agree that Shrykes are no good in any type of headwind. They do well in tailwinds though.

I think you pretty much have to bag both molds if you want to throw Destroyers and Shrykes. I don't think a Shryke can fill the role of even a beat Destroyer.

This is the breakdown ive found out. destroyers have a 2.2 cm rim width. the shryke is 2.3cm. and the boss is 2.5 cm.
for me i feel there something between 2.2 and 2.3+ that changes how a disc carries. it seems all the 2.3+ width discs i have thrown tend to flip a lot more early in the fight and carry further than 2.2 discs. its amazing how much more a star shryke feels like a beat in star boss than a beat in star destroyer.

Frankly I don't think the Shryke feels much like a Destroyer or Boss. It glides better than both and seems to be flippier than both as well. Also more high speed turn.

I've thrown Shrykes further consistently than I've ever thrown Bosses or Destroyers in any stage of wear. The real clincher for the Shryke is the fact that it holds the high speed turn for a LOOOONNGGGG time before fading. I've never seen a Boss or Destroyer flex out quite like a Shryke.

The Shryke can be finicky. I generally release it with a bit of hyzer to keep it from flipping all the way over. Its a disc I use for wide open distance lines where accuracy isn't super important. I've yet to find a longer disc for this purpose. Also, I won't use the Shryke in any sort of headwind, even a gentle breeze. Even a tiny breeze can flip it.

I think the Shryke is more similar to the Tern than any other Innova disc. The Tern is noticeably slower and doesn't quite glide as well. Same general flight pattern/stability though.

Frankly I don't think the Shryke feels much like a Destroyer or Boss. It glides better than both and seems to be flippier than both as well. Also more high speed turn.

I've thrown Shrykes further consistently than I've ever thrown Bosses or Destroyers in any stage of wear. The real clincher for the Shryke is the fact that it holds the high speed turn for a LOOOONNGGGG time before fading. I've never seen a Boss or Destroyer flex out quite like a Shryke.

The Shryke can be finicky. I generally release it with a bit of hyzer to keep it from flipping all the way over. Its a disc I use for wide open distance lines where accuracy isn't super important. I've yet to find a longer disc for this purpose. Also, I won't use the Shryke in any sort of headwind, even a gentle breeze. Even a tiny breeze can flip it.

I think the Shryke is more similar to the Tern than any other Innova disc. The Tern is noticeably slower and doesn't quite glide as well. Same general flight pattern/stability though.

In terms of flight, I don't disagree with you. In terms of feel, the Shryke feels MUCH more like a Destroyer than a Tern to me, especially in rim depth.

In terms of flight, I don't disagree with you. In terms of feel, the Shryke feels MUCH more like a Destroyer than a Tern to me, especially in rim depth.

The Tern is definitely shallower. I think the Tern has a more abrupt late fade than a Shryke. It seems to stop flying and fall out of the air suddenly.

I just picked up a 175g F2 champ Shryke, and spent some time on the course with it today. I'm confused by all the Tern to Shryke comparisons. The main similarity I see is the bird-related name, maybe the good glide. Do they share a top or bottom or something?

It feels more comparable to other 13-speeds. I bag a Katana, and the Shryke seems like it's more in that family, maybe one step up in overstability.

Anyways, it's a sample size of one, and an F2 at that. Overall, I like it. It will probably be a forehand disc for me, primarily, and very well could replace that Katana in my bag. I like the gentle turn, while being far from flippy. It handles a decent forehand rip, and I expect it will continue to get more glide as it wears in.

I just picked up a 175g F2 champ Shryke, and spent some time on the course with it today. I'm confused by all the Tern to Shryke comparisons. The main similarity I see is the bird-related name, maybe the good glide. Do they share a top or bottom or something?

It feels more comparable to other 13-speeds. I bag a Katana, and the Shryke seems like it's more in that family, maybe one step up in overstability.
Agreed.

I've never seen a Shryke that was as beefy as a Katana. Katanas seem to have some high speed turn, but a brutal late fade. They also don't glide as well as a Shryke. Katanas are big S curve fliers. I get an overall much mellower (straighter) flight out of a Shryke without all the late fade.

Also, I can probably throw a Shryke 50' further than a Katana consistently.

The katana is more squirrelly than the shryke. I threw the katana for a few years but gave up on the 13 speeds due to the inconsistency of the katana's flight. The shryke is way more consistent.

Additionally, the shryke favors a forehand while the katana is shallower.

The Shryke to Tern comparisons are bases on how they get extra distance for weaker arms. Having said that, I could never really get a Tern to max D as consistently as I could get a Destroyer to. I don't have that problem with the Star Shryke I picked up. I've only thrown it 4 times, but the 2 that I hyzerflipped went crazy far. The 2 that were thrown flat, turned over on me. I think I need to try a more stable one to see if the Shryke will be my max D disc. I need to do some more throws with mine first to see if the consistency is there.

I really want to try a shryke. Maybe next disc. I have a wahoo which is pretty much same flight numbers but it's not great or horrible. Based on the reviews, the shryke thrown well will get you 50' Better on your max internet distance. Probably 30' farther in real life maybe

I really want to try a shryke. Maybe next disc. I have a wahoo which is pretty much same flight numbers but it's not great or horrible. Based on the reviews, the shryke thrown well will get you 50' Better on your max internet distance. Probably 30' farther in real life maybe

The Shryke and the Wahoo aren't even comparable. Once you throw a Shryke you'll think the Wahoo is garbage... because it is.

The Wahoo is a flippy piece of junk made to float. The Shrkye completely outclasses it in every regard.

As for the Tern comparison, if understable distance is what you're after, the Shryke will whip the Tern. They have the same overall stability, but the Shryke glides better, is faster, and has less low speed fade.

Last edited:
I have thrown my 172 star shryke for some months now and i love it. However, if there is mild headwind, i will throw my destroyer.

I cant decide should i get 1 more in color glow chmapion plastick or star(Lisa Fajkus) edition. Can someone compare, is the Fajkus edition more OS or flies like regular star plastic one?

Latest posts