• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Vulcan approved

Just wondering if anybody has had a chance to try out the Vulcan. I hear it is going to be similar to the Katana, and I really like the Katana. Just wondering if I should order it before trying it.

Thanks!

THrew one, really flippy for such a fast driver. just got in 8* and 4 X-outs

here is a champion vulcan i recently got. flies a lot like a nuke, less overstable than a katana. the top has a unique shape around the rim, it's flattened out.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 58
i've thrown mine a few times so far, and it's been everything that i was expecting the katana to be. more understable and very fast. the topside of the rim has a unique shape to it, kind of flattened out.

My wife threw hers...it had a similiar flight for her and my Flick has for me (backhand) only shorter. Hope that helps.

Hahaha. Your wife threw a speed 13 driver and it flew like a flick? I think she is a perfect example of throwing discs way out of someone's speed range.

Hahaha. Your wife threw a speed 13 driver and it flew like a flick? I think she is a perfect example of throwing discs way out of someone's speed range.

My wife isn't allowed to carry a driver except a River, Pro TeeBird if it''s windy. She is not athletic, she's just awesome. That why she's not my ex-girlfriend.

I want to hear about the new Star ones... I've already throw 2 different champs.

I threw a couple. Only out on the range, so i cant really speak to line-shaping or reliability.
The 165g was really flippy, but the 172g was actually really nice. It came back from distance line hyzer flips. It was actually really long for me. I got one out to the end of our driving range, which is 400'. A max weight might be on my to-buy list. Would make a great roller when beat too.

I was trading discs at PIAS in Carrollton, TX today. They are getting 25 "first run" stamps (in star plastic) this week. I told him that I'm not interested in 13 speed discs, but I'd let others know... so now you know.

Anyone got a picture of the rim, maybe even a comparison to the katana rim picture?

Threw a full round with it this weekend... WOW. My new go-to. I got one in 162 and it has the distance and speed of an R-Pro Boss for me, with less fade. It reminds me of my Starlite 161 Katana, except I just need to release the Vulcan flat to get the same S Curve line. For the Katana I have to crank it slightly anhyzer on the release.

The -4 turn rating is NO joke. This is like a Star Monarch with Katana Speed. I parked a 400 foot hole with a slight downhill that I had only got within 70 feet of before. And that was with a big skip. This disc will do the "Sky Anhyzer" shot with more ease than any disc I have ever thrown before.

Also, the Star plastic is a bit gummier than other star discs I have, the flight plate is even a bit transparent. Seems there is more champ in this blend. Overall, just an amazing disc right out of the box. Like a very well worn Star Katana without the cosmetic blemishes. I think this disc will help more people close the gap from 300 to 400 feet than any disc that has come before it.

Comments about the rim are spot on, it feels good. The top has a noticeable crease where the rim starts, almost similar to banshees that I have seen. Also, there is no dome on mine which is something I always look for in discs.

Tried my max weight today, flippier than my pro leopard...weird.
I can see it for really long sky anhyzers, or hyzer flips with tail wind.
initial assessment: Meh, pro katana or x nuke are both much better for me.
I can see low power throwers liking it for a little while, but they would be better off with fairway drivers.

vulcan assessments

Early on with the initial announcement of the vulcan, a lot of people were quick to proclaim this a new high speed driver for noobs that would undoubtably end up splitting some purist's head open. Granted every disc company is vying for our business, they have to come out with new stuff to stay on top...even if it is a more controllable high speed driver for weaker arms. However I have to disagree with this assumption in part because three variables have been left out.
Younger player who have experience can benefit from the extra distance. I know a much younger player in our club that throws the higher speed discs and does wonderful with them. He simply compensates his approach, grip and release as needed.
Women also benefit from these discs in the same manner. Not all of them have cannons but most exhibit a better level of control than a lot of men I know that play.
Lastly, older players who have lost the power but still have control and could benefit from an extra 30 feet or more.
Oh yeah...and people like me that are still younger, can drive 350+ but have problems with joints and such. I have chronic bursitis in my shoulder and a torn rotator cup in the past that had been corrected. I can throw all day, backhand but cannot drive forehand without a lot or pain. I'm even limited to just a handful
l of flicks per round. So...I need a few drivers and midranges that will turn over and go to the right and fade back very slowly and sometimes not fade back at all. These understable high speed drivers give me back some of my game lost to a lack of forehand throwing. Does it replace a great overstable forehand thrown disc? No...but it does compensate somewhat. So to people like me and the aforementioned, these discs, although marketed to noobs, are ultimately very useful. When it comes to dodging noob thrown discs...we should probably spend more time giving tips to the new players...especially in etiquette while playing. That way they learn faster and also don't thrown until players are clear or the hole has cleared. We were all noobs once. Share some knowledge.

For those who care...
Pro Katana vs Star Vulcan
IMG_0768.jpg

Z Nuke vs Star Vulcan
IMG_0765.jpg

X Nuke vs Star Vulcan
IMG_0767.jpg

Thanks for the profiles! You should go put them in the profile thread too

Personally I'm looking forward to trying out a vulcan for my tailwind and uphill flick purposes. I actually use a groove now, but its touchy, and katana mold inconsistencies bothered me too much to figure them out.

Awesome, would have done it myself, but don't have a vulcan :\. I do want one, but have been pinching pennies lately so I decided not to.

Latest posts