• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Whale

I'm going to be at my Ice Bowl later this month EARLY!. If the round starts at 10.....I'm out there at 6:30. Why would I do that? Because I'm a crazy person who wants to get an XT Whale. If Nate Sexton is willing to boast about what a great FH putter this is, then I'm on board. Been using the PA4 as my FH putter but would like something more stable and available. Very excited for this mold to come out.

There is someone in the marketplace selling them. Probably a few bucks more than at the event, but you could sleep in.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112098

The Whale really is a lot like a beaded Magic. Here are some comparison shots. Blue Magic on left, Ice Bowl Pink Whale on right.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Really wish I'd been able to make it to our ice bowl today to snag one.

:wall: You fool! Your going to have to wait an entire month or two now to get one. ;)

Thinking this may replace my PA4's. They are very touchy one the FH.

^^ Man that Magic has taken a beating.

Last edited:
Today I signed up for a local Ice Bowl on February 1 and they are giving out Whales to the first 25 registrants. I was #7. Don't even care how I do in the Ice Bowl, I just want to play and the disc is a bonus. Plus it's literally a 5 minute drive from my house.

^^ Man that Magic has taken a beating.

Haha, yep! It was once my main putter, but for quite a while now it has lived in my practice basket in the back yard and has been used for putting practice. It feels really nice now. I have a medium Wizard that's been living in my practice basket for a couple years that's starting to feel really good as well. :)

DanJon said:
Nate Sexton's proto pic looked flatter than these latest pics.

What you're seeing in the pic there is just the high, sloping shoulder. The top of the disc is quite flat; no dome to speak of at all. I have 2 and they are both that way.

I've spent a few rounds with the Whale. Not really a fan. Magic/PA4 profile comparison is spot on, stability is different. Not a game changer and I'm not a fan of firm putters. I've lost count of the number of chain outs so far.

I expected to get one at the Ice Bowl, but ended up leaving with an Ice Bowl stamped Judge of all things. I guess I thought it was an Innova thing, maybe it's independent of the mfg's.

I expected to get one at the Ice Bowl, but ended up leaving with an Ice Bowl stamped Judge of all things. I guess I thought it was an Innova thing, maybe it's independent of the mfg's.

They had Whales for those of us that registered early. There were also Ice Bowl 2015 stamps on some DD plastic - Truths and Freedoms I think.

Ice Bowl TDs have their choice of IB stamped discs from several manufacturers. Ice Bowl is run by Rick Rothstein, the man behind Disc Golf World in Kansas City.

Can anyone who has thrown one of these speak to Innova's claims of it having increased "torque resistance"? Particularly when thrown forehand?

Can anyone who has thrown one of these speak to Innova's claims of it having increased "torque resistance"? Particularly when thrown forehand?

I think torque resistance is a marketing term. I don't throw forehand much at all. I did throw some flat, full speed backhand drives with the Whale and it was nice and straight, really straight. Slow and straight.

I picked one at my local Ice Bowl last Saturday. Field tested it for about 20 minutes after it was over. Not really impressed. Feels a lot like an Aviar. Deep rim that didn't fit my FH grip. It did hold a nice stable line. Immediately went into my slightly used disc box. Hopefully they become popular so I can sell it the local club's meet and greet sale this year.

I haven't thrown mine around a lot but when I throw FH (an easy one, not crushing it), it flies super straight.

Nice Cpt Anhyzer!

Do you, or any other member, know what the flight ratings are for the Whale? Is it like a 3/3/0/1? At least that's how it flies for me when I throw it nice and easy

Latest posts