• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Ion Putter

I played with a guy who bought like 5 Ions and he loves them. They have a really nice feel to them but I am afraid that are not overstable enough for my liking. I typically use my Zone as my main putter and love the low profile, super overstable, most predictable putter I have ever thrown nature of it.

Well, you do throw Zones. Wait for the medium Ions to come out, they'll be more to your liking I bet.

I have been throwing a Medium Ion proto for the past few days and it is awesome. I like better than the softs in almost every way now, but I still like the softs for a few things. I do love the softs, so I will have to test quite a bit more to see if I choose one or keep both, but the mediums are seriously impressive and I think will really appeal to some who were put off by the flex of the softs.

I have been throwing a Medium Ion proto for the past few days and it is awesome. I like better than the softs in almost every way now, but I still like the softs for a few things. I do love the softs, so I will have to test quite a bit more to see if I choose one or keep both, but the mediums are seriously impressive and I think will really appeal to some who were put off by the flex of the softs.

You have em over at clearwater?

And how much is shipping there?

Last edited:
You have em over at clearwater?

And how much is shipping there?

We will once they are stamped and released. I'm a tester for MVP, so that is the only reason I have one already. I'm not sure about shipping...try putting something in your cart or whatever at the website and see what it calculates for shipping.

We will once they are stamped and released. I'm a tester for MVP, so that is the only reason I have one already. I'm not sure about shipping...try putting something in your cart or whatever at the website and see what it calculates for shipping.

How did you get those sweet testing jobs?

Since your a tester maybe you'll know this answer. With them making a medium Ion will they still be producing the original soft ones as well?

Since your a tester maybe you'll know this answer. With them making a medium Ion will they still be producing the original soft ones as well?

Not to speak for Discspeed, but I'm fairly sure they'll continue to make the soft ones, there is a market for soft putters as Gateway knows.

I got a couple at the Vintage Cup in the raffle. They seem to be prety good discs. Realy straight flight when it's put straight.

I think the two plastics idea is really cool, if I wasn't so happy with my current putter situation I would be interested in trying it, I just don't want to mess up what's working for me right now.

Well, it is not a new idea as Quest AT has been doing this for years. I believe I wrote a post a long time ago saying the 2-piece or more (multi-plastic) discs will be the future of DG discs. I guess time will still tell.

just think of the combinations, SSS platic for the flight plate and M plastic on the leading edge, or the other way around, and anything in between. you could pretty much have a putter for every condition you could imagine. flight plates could also go from understable to overstable. it would be amazing the stuff you could do

How did you get those sweet testing jobs?

I've been obsessed with trying different discs for about 10 years, I've been posting lengthy descriptions of discs on internet disc golf forums since '04, I generally know my stuff, and I'm generally a nice guy who likes to help people (I'm a teacher by occupation). I've also competed against some of the greatest disc golfers of all time and I'm friends with one of the largest retailers in the US. I feel pretty lucky...but with the hours I've put in, its nice to get a little something in return. I've told my family all along that if DG ever really breaks it big, the knowledge I've spent years accruing might actually be worth something...they've always laughed at me, but now with my sponsorships they are a little less cynical.:D

Of course! I think their molding and runs will be consistent as well. Since they are a plastics company, they do not have to go through the same avenues to get materials as the other companies. Couple this with the fact that they do not have to do any blending (they simply order what plastic they want) and I expect MVP to show us consistency that has not been possible in DG to this point.

Latest posts