• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Ion vs Anode

In terms of plastic longevity, my anodes/ions are absurd.

On a scale of 1-10 (1 being out of the box, 10 being retired) I would rate it like this:

3 Months daily putting and throwing
Wizard SSS: 7
KC Pro: 5
Mercy (soft): 8 (warbled)
Ions/Anode: 2

After a full year of almost daily abuse (trees, putting, throwing in parking lots) I'd still put them at a 4. That plastic is absurdly resilient.

I actually think that's why soft neutron isn't production-- the bead on my soft N ions (driving putters too) seriously have almost no damage to the beads.

I have two Ions one soft proton one neutron. The soft one I bought to putt with, but I found if I ever hit center pole (lol probably not too much) the soft proton ion would flex and bounce out. So I found a sweet all black neutron ion and problem solved! Still grabs chains very well but has a bit more gusto when pushing through the chains. Just my two cents.

I love the soft ion for approaches and drives, some rounds it gets used on almost every hole and is probably the most go to disc in my bag.

I've got a dgcr soft anode ($12 what a freaking deal) coming to replace a beat in yeti pro that is my more understable driving putter. I get the feeling I'm gonna love it :D

I'm not a world class putter by any stretch of the imagination, but I fall into the camp that inside the circle I can putt with any disc: firebird, mako, aviar, anode, whatever. It's a short throw that pretty well goes where you throw it.

Moving out to 30+ the anode to me starts shining a bit. It feels very neutral on touch shots and the glide feels just a tiny bit better than an aviar, meaning I can float it softly and it doesn't just drop. That disc handles flat putting very well.

Having putted with the Ion and Anodes (2 soft, 2 regular) for a year, along side quite a few other putters, I have noticed zero difference in the spit outs, bounce outs, roll aways from any other putter (other than a Sole Soft which might actually be incapable of rolling).

Sometimes all of my discs spit out the back - dragging 6 chains with them. Sometimes I hit the pole dead center from 15' and it falls out... but that is with every putter I use. Seems to be the nature of dg baskets. Best counter-action is to probably aim 3" right of the pole (RH) to avoid that scenario and avoid hyzer on your release.

I find the soft and firm to be identical in flight, short or far, only difference is feel.

Last thing I've noticed: the clear blue proton plastic is the worst to spot in grass. Bright green is fantastic and seems to really pop.

Streets, why do you like spending your free time going into various dedicated MVP threads and discussing the Wizard? I feel like there are probably better ways to spend one's time. *shrug*

Lol MikeC it makes me chuckle. Personally if I were to carry a MVP putter it would be the anode. I had a soft proton Aim gave me for free and it was pretty good. I just found I like base plastic better, but I sure wish I had that Anode still.

Fair enough. I had friends in the same boat as you. They liked the flights but they prefer putting with base plastic, one of them a Wizard even :p I'm in the opposite boat now...I'm so used to MVP's soft premium plastic putters, that anytime I try to putt with baseline I can't get a clean release my first few tries.

What I found interesting is all of the people brand new to DG that I gave a seasoned Soft Anode to try out for putting, never had any issues putting premium plastic VS baseline. I actually had to explain to a few of them why some people actually prefer baseline for a putter. "Why? It beats up quick as hell, who would use it?" was their mentality. Pretty funny stuff.

Oh I firmly believe in premium plastic for driving and long approach putters. I have been thinking I need to try an Envy. I use a chief right now, want one in evolution platinum, just don't want to wait. Is the Envy shallower than anodes and ions? Because I like a shallower rim depth for driving and such.

The Envy is legit. I've been working on putting together a new Envy video and I honestly have to keep delaying it because I'm getting aces, chain outs and pole hits off the tee left and right. I gotta cut it off at some point or the video will be too long! :p

Streets, why do you like spending your free time going into various dedicated MVP threads and discussing the Wizard? I feel like there are probably better ways to spend one's time. *shrug*

Was bored at work, so no, there weren't better ways to spend my time.

*How's that Crave?

I feel you, if you work somewhere where you can browse....yep. Been there :p

Flying good. Don't know why you'd want to get rid of it, but happy to take it off of you :) 170~g is my favorite weight for Craves, and I just lost my go to 170 at Renny Gold the other week.

How's the mini? :)

Yeah it was either light trolling or doing dishes, so......

Glad it could step in to fill the role!

*Just like using Teebirds better, old habits and all, plus I can find DX ones anywhere in a pinch. :thmbup:

I have a 172 neutron anode that always seems to come out of my hand early, on putts and drives. Something about it makes it feel heavier. It is very odd. I can get my 170 Ions and Envy out to 280ft. When I get a nice rip on the Anode it has a great flight and I have had it break 300ft. It might be the grip of the plastic, but I have a neutron envy that I throw very well. Not sure if I am going to keep trying to throw the anode.

you are cocky

I guess making in the bag threads and lightheartedly pointing out rule infractions makes me cocky :|