• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

IOWA SLACKERS

I've been working on the review problem. However, being from the extreme Southeast corner of the state (hence KEOKUKdiscer), it make take me a little time to get to all of them. I've gotten everything within 40 minutes of my house. Hopefully, I'll get everything within an hour and a half next year. Of course it won't hurt if I had a little help. hint hint

This spring or summer I'll be making a few trips home and I'll let you know when I do so I can show you around some of my homie courses (QCA)

I just felt like reactivating this thread, mainly because I am frustrated at how Iowans will lurk on this site, but not get involved. I just felt like venting that! It's my home state, I grew up there.

Camden II is definitely worthwhile for the second trip there...one of my favorites for sure and west lake from the po tees is probably the best and most brutal course I've ever played and ranks highly in Iowa as well (top 5 for sure). The short tees at west lake are ok but not even close to being as good. I haven't had a chance to play Indian Hills or Pickard yet. I've played a lot of the other highly regarded ones in DSM (besides Pickard) and can vouch for that trip as well. And Iowa City/CR too. I haven't played Wildcat Bluff yet, but the all the other main ones in that area are quality.

I'm sure with time dgcr will catch on there, but in the meantime there are a lot of reviewers heading to IA to pick up the slack.

I just seen this, I missed it! Yes, West Lake from the Pro tees is brutally awesome! I was glad the Lake was Frozen when I played there! ;) Hills is excellent! A "Must Play"! I haven't played Pickard either, but I know on my next trip up, I want to... Well, first things first. Play a complete round at Wildcat bluff. The first hole is fantastic! But I really want to hit the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area. And for some reason, I want to hit Washington, Iowa. I would love to be the one to photograph it!

Iowa has awesome courses for sure! I represent Iowa but am in the minority because this site just isn't that popular there. They use the Iowa disc golf homepage for most of their discussions.

Exactly.

I'm from Iowa and have a lot of family and friends back there that are die hard DGers. But not one of them uses this site or cares enough about it to spend time writing reviews for it.

There is definitely a big DG following in Iowa, along with some great courses. So it's pretty outlandish to use the word "SLACKERS." Believe it or not Optidisc, a large percentage of the DG population either doesn't even know about this site, doesn't use it, doesn't want to spend time writing reviews for the site, etc. Not everybody is an Optidisc.

But I really want to hit the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area.

My old stomping grounds. Turkey Creek in I.C. is a definite must play. Peninsula isn't bad. But you absolutely have to make the trip to Sugar Bottom. Not sure if it has an I.C., Solon, or North Liberty address though. But it's in the vicinity and I think it's the best one.

And for C.R.......Legion and Shaver are dandies. Jones park is probably the most heavily played but it's nothin too special.

Exactly.

I'm from Iowa and have a lot of family and friends back there that are die hard DGers. But not one of them uses this site or cares enough about it to spend time writing reviews for it.

There is definitely a big DG following in Iowa, along with some great courses. So it's pretty outlandish to use the word "SLACKERS." Believe it or not Optidisc, a large percentage of the DG population either doesn't even know about this site, doesn't use it, doesn't want to spend time writing reviews for the site, etc. Not everybody is an Optidisc.

Wow! I start an innocent tongue in cheek thread last year back when the goal of the dgcr community was 100% review rate and the following year someone gets offended. I think u made my point when u said there r a ton of DGers in Iowa but none of them care enough to review lol slackers! Relax posey it was meant in fun then as it is now. Still curious about Iowa though.

I also grew up and learned to play disc golf in Iowa and it is so true that the state is poorly represented on this site. Lots of awesome courses there to play, especially in the Iowa City area. Wildcat Bluff is fantastic as well. Lots of misconceptions about the disc golf scene there that are on this site, but I know better having lived and played there. If more disc golfers on this site were to travel there and play the courses and talk about/review them, then it would get much higher praise for what it has to offer. Until that day, it will remain in a shroud of mystery.

Mine was meant in fun as well. I know you were just trying to get the corn heads to start contributing. They probably still have dial up internet that they only use to check their email :)

Des Moines, Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Waterloo...they all have solid courses. I sure don't miss that deathly humidity in the summer though...

I also grew up and learned to play disc golf in Iowa and it is so true that the state is poorly represented on this site. Lots of awesome courses there to play, especially in the Iowa City area. Wildcat Bluff is fantastic as well. Lots of misconceptions about the disc golf scene there that are on this site, but I know better having lived and played there. If more disc golfers on this site were to travel there and play the courses and talk about/review them, then it would get much higher praise for what it has to offer. Until that day, it will remain in a shroud of mystery.

They do have some solid courses, but I gotta say...the over use of tall grass rough is annoying to say the least. I just don't see a real purpose in making narrow fairways and wasting time looking for a disc. I'm not saying they all have this, but there are bunch of them around Des Moines, the Quad Cities, and when going across the state along highway 34.

Im also from Iowa and they have some of the most amazing courses.. origanally from ottumwa also and they have 3 great courses which i have reviewed one.. i have just started on this site so in time i will review more. and if you are ever in iowa make sure you play Indian Hills Community College one amazing course and there are 2 others within 5 miles Memorial park, and wildwood park..

Mine was meant in fun as well. I know you were just trying to get the corn heads to start contributing. They probably still have dial up internet that they only use to check their email :)

Dial-up internet on a Party line to be exact! lol :) I just realized I said Wildcat bluff, I meant Wildcat springs down across from Keokuk. There are plenty of fantastic courses out in those cornfields. I would venture to say that some might be even be in the top 10. Like West Lake in Davenport.

I tried to join the Iowadg.com, they never approved me. Perhaps because I'm no longer living there.

...and Pierce is right about Ottumwa.

They do have some solid courses, but I gotta say...the over use of tall grass rough is annoying to say the least. I just don't see a real purpose in making narrow fairways and wasting time looking for a disc. I'm not saying they all have this, but there are bunch of them around Des Moines, the Quad Cities, and when going across the state along highway 34.

Your talking about Mount Pleasant aren't you? LOL I like the concept of the defined fairway, but man that grass will eat your disc! The QC is a must! There is some fantastic DG to be played there!

Your talking about Mount Pleasant aren't you? LOL I like the concept of the defined fairway, but man that grass will eat your disc! The QC is a must! There is some fantastic DG to be played there!

To be honest, I saw it lots of courses, including some on the Illinois side of the Burlington IA border. But yes, Mount Pleasant was certianly the worst as I remember it. I would have to look back at my reviews, but there were certianly a few of them. I do remember Des Monies had a decent set of courses.

You know, I just read an article that claims Iowa has 162 courses. We have 157 courses listed in our Database, and the PDGA has Iowa listed as having 149. I've been scouring online, looking for a definitive answer to this. If it's true, I want to know where they are so I can update them.

I really need to get a life! ;) ...or a job would be nice!

I wonder if some of them are like here. The Frito Lay plant (I think in Plano, TX) has a course that is private and has requested to not be on the site. So, a few might be like that. Good luck on the search!

I've got a feeling that would be like looking for needles in a Haystack! lol I want to help, but not that much! ;)

I grew up in the QCA, but dont live there now. There are a bunch of quality courses there. I cant speak for the rest of the state, but Fort Mad, and Ames have decent courses.

As for the people not getting on the site it is cause they are still using dial up. It is pretty hard to read all the threads when you are waiting for it to upload. ;)

After reading all the posts it makes me want to get my review on. I will have to voice record between driving when I go back to the area this summer. Any of you QCA people from Bettendorf?