• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

IOWA SLACKERS

But in all seriousness, Iowa does have some great courses. Another nice thing about Iowa, is that you can throw a rock, and hit a town with DG course. I know people like to say that Iowa is flat, well... It's not. It has flat areas, but there is all kinds of terrains. For the longest time Iowa was second in the amount of DG courses. Between Texas and Cali. Considering that Iowa is half the size of Cali, and 1/5th the size of Texas, that's a pretty good amount of courses, per capita. What is also cool, is being able to buy discs from Walgreens, CVS, and Drug Town. (and usually a good selection as well)

I wonder if there is a way Timg could cross promote with these companies? Promote his site on the Displays, and he'll put a link to there sites. or something. Cydisc is right, not enough players coming to the site.

You want to know what the problem is with Iowa, and many of the aforementioned states with un-reviewed courses? Well here you go....

Number of DGCR members in Iowa - 46

Number of DGCR members in Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota & South Dakota combined (that's seven whole states folks) - 123

Number of DGCR members within 25 miles of zip code 75261 (Dallas-Fort Worth Int'l Airport) - 172

And it should be noted, the majority of these un-reviewed courses are way off in the boonies, and if they ever got reviewed, would likely fall on the poor side of 2.5 discs. They're not worth the time and gas money to go play. I'm sure some brave soul will get to them eventually, but more likely than not, we aren't missing any meaningful data in the meantime.

You want to know what the problem is with Iowa, and many of the aforementioned states with un-reviewed courses? Well here you go....

Number of DGCR members in Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota & South Dakota combined (that's seven whole states folks) - 123

That is amazing that there are only 46 people from Iowa on here. The gospel needs to be spread! I know the people are out there, they just need to jump on board. If I was up there, I'd be hanging the fliers on the course boards. Plus, if they only knew of this site, it would help them suffer through these winter months! lol

...which is why I now live in SC! ;)

There's a pretty good Iowa-centric forum that we all hang out at, IowaDG.com., where most of us hang out. I'm sure a lot of us use the site for its excellent course directory, but you don't need to join for that.

If you want more people in your area to join the site, start postin the flyers timg made and posted here around your courses, or even where they sell discs at your local store if they'll let you. I know it's something I'm going to start doing when I get back out there. I'm tired of TX running this joint! :D

I've been working on the review problem. However, being from the extreme Southeast corner of the state (hence KEOKUKdiscer), it make take me a little time to get to all of them. I've gotten everything within 40 minutes of my house. Hopefully, I'll get everything within an hour and a half next year. Of course it won't hurt if I had a little help. hint hint

I'm in the same predicament that Keokuk is in. Unfortunately this year was the first year I really started getting into it and into many courses, but I was in Minnesota for the summer so that is where I spread out and played/reviewed courses. Hopefully when the weather gets better I'll be able to venture out and play them. Iowa city's turkey run and Sugar Bottom I've been hearing about for years but am always with family that don't want to go when I am in the area.

One reason is that not many players from Iowa frequent this site.

I know! I lived in Iowa for 30 years and have recently been playing disc golf and been on this site. Not too many players in Iowa frequent this site. Not quite sure why that is. Iowa does have some awesome courses that rival many other courses in the U.S. There truly are incredible courses there and need/should get reviewed more. There are loads of great courses and players in Iowa but the exposure on this website just does not reflect that.

Number of DGCR members within 25 miles of zip code 75261 (Dallas-Fort Worth Int'l Airport) - 172

And it should be noted, the majority of these un-reviewed courses are way off in the boonies, and if they ever got reviewed, would likely fall on the poor side of 2.5 discs. They're not worth the time and gas money to go play. I'm sure some brave soul will get to them eventually, but more likely than not, we aren't missing any meaningful data in the meantime.

You have a point there. I recently returned to my home state of Iowa and played several of those courses that are in those tiny towns with no reviews and posted them here recently. It is amazing that some of these small towns, with less than 1000 people living in them even have a disc golf course. Most of them are 9 hole courses and are nothing too special, but many are worth the journey anyway. The great Iowa courses have some exposure on this site, but not enough.

I'm originally from IA and I personally think it has some of the best dg in the flatter parts of the midwest. The des moines, quad city, IA city/cedar rapids areas offer some excellent golf. I'm not sure why there are so few folks on dgcr here. Like cydisc said iowadg.com is the iowa dg internet hangout, and is a great resource for info.

Harr's grandma lives in Norway, Iowa (near Cedar Rapids), sounds like a reason to go visit her again next year. Plus I could get to eastern Iowa in only 3 hours.

Well there we go. Once harr visits grandma the state will be cleaned up. And while you're there pass out some dgcr business cards and fliers. :)

I've played 35 courses in Iowa, but moved away 9 years ago; thus, I've reviewed none of them here. Although, I did urge the people at iowadg.com to get here and post some reviews.

I'm originally from IA and I personally think it has some of the best dg in the flatter parts of the midwest. The des moines, quad city, IA city/cedar rapids areas offer some excellent golf. I'm not sure why there are so few folks on dgcr here. Like cydisc said iowadg.com is the iowa dg internet hangout, and is a great resource for info.

I got to play some of the courses in the QC area, and I can't wait to go back! (Fuller Park, West Lake, and Camen I) The problem we had was racing daylight and playing in the snow, which is why we only made it to three courses. We played the last hole at Camden in the dark! lol The other problem we had, was the only Tee pads we could find at West Lake, were the Pro Tees because they were right next to the signs. The rest were covered in snow!

OK I know there are 150+ courses in Iowa and many are niners but there are still 32 unreviewed courses in this state. I am so curious about Iowa because it's got a rep as a great DG state with many great courses. It is also just south of Minn and Wisconsin which seem to be DG hotbeds. I just wish there was a Harr from Iowa to take up the slack. Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota, and Texas all have over 10 unreviewed courses. Iowa is by far the most disappointing though. I'd imagine no one will care about this post as no one even acknowledges Iowa or it's courses exists and obviously if a cow farts in Iowa theres no one there to smell it so why bother thinking about it.

so did you use my spreadsheet to come up with that data

I'll be reviewing courses with a vengeance once the weather breaks.

Hell, I'm ready for another DG pilgrimage to Iowa. Only this time with out the Cold or Snow! I'm also ready to go finish playing Wildcat springs! In Oct, my friend and I made it to 10 before it was too dark. This time, the park was closed! That was a wasted trip! I was able to get in 9 at pioneer before dark!

I still can't believe there isn't one person from Ottumwa, Iowa on here. ...let me rephrase that. Currently residing in Ottumwa, Iowa

Iowa has awesome courses for sure! I represent Iowa but am in the minority because this site just isn't that popular there. They use the Iowa disc golf homepage for most of their discussions.

I got to play some of the courses in the QC area, and I can't wait to go back! (Fuller Park, West Lake, and Camen I) The problem we had was racing daylight and playing in the snow, which is why we only made it to three courses. We played the last hole at Camden in the dark! lol The other problem we had, was the only Tee pads we could find at West Lake, were the Pro Tees because they were right next to the signs. The rest were covered in snow!

Camden II is definitely worthwhile for the second trip there...one of my favorites for sure and west lake from the po tees is probably the best and most brutal course I've ever played and ranks highly in Iowa as well (top 5 for sure). The short tees at west lake are ok but not even close to being as good. I haven't had a chance to play Indian Hills or Pickard yet. I've played a lot of the other highly regarded ones in DSM (besides Pickard) and can vouch for that trip as well. And Iowa City/CR too. I haven't played Wildcat Bluff yet, but the all the other main ones in that area are quality.

I'm sure with time dgcr will catch on there, but in the meantime there are a lot of reviewers heading to IA to pick up the slack.