• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it me or will Paul McBeth be the best DGer ever?

I love hearing all this history, and you may have swayed me into thinking Ken may have the furthest forehand of all time. It's incredibly impressive what his generation did, with the equipment they had nonetheless.

However, I am positive there have been forehand throws as far or further than his at 552' with the modern technology (Shoot, I've touched 480' on flat ground myself once, and there are tons of guys way better than me), just maybe not in sanctioned WFDF competitions, as the competitors there get a limited number of throws, and they all throw further Backhand (even the guys like BigJerm and Wysocki). Plus WFDF events are very few and far between, secretive, held at inconvenient times at inconvenient places, etc. If they were semi regular, and close to stops along the tour I'm sure we'd see a lot more action on the pages of the record books.

There may be longer recorded throws than 552' with modern discs, but I'd like to see the data documenting that. Still, try throwing a 40 mold with any type of throw you like. Most of you won't throw farther than 250' and very few will reach 350'. There was a time when a 300' hole was a long one in disc golf. There are many good players today, but some of the players back in the 1970s were incredible in their own right. And almost all players back then were all around players who played all of the field (distance, MTA/TRC/SCF, accuracy, discathon) and team events (e.g., freestyle, Ultimate, Guts, and speed flow) in addition to disc golf. Disc sports have become so specialized now that most know little to nothing about events outside of their specialty.

I think what he is saying is...

Comprehend the power and touch it took to get that 40 mold to 550+

Nobody will ever be able to replicate what Climo did because of the nature of todays game...therefore i think Climo will remain the greatest ever in many peoples minds

To someone who is new to the sport, please fill me in. Was it like early MMA, where there just wasn't a lot of top level competition early on, but as the sport evolved, the talent got better overall?

Bump because this is just an interesting read... half a decade later. :)

I found the thread in the "similar threads" list at the bottom of another thread I was reading. I never noticed that list before. This could be dangerous... or at least time consuming. :D

Last edited:
He won't after this round 1 at USDGC ...

unless he comes back from this and wins the tourney.

Paul might be the best disc golfer, but only until Wyatt Mahoney grows up. This 10 year old is like nothing I've ever seen. Reigning junior national and world champion. He's going to be lightyears beyond McBeth (if he sticks with the sport and stays healthy)

https://www.pdga.com/player/89460

Wyatt is the real deal. Kid has a head on them shoulders.

Bill Russell won 11 championships but we all know Jordan is the goat.

Paul might be the best disc golfer, but only until Wyatt Mahoney grows up. This 10 year old is like nothing I've ever seen. Reigning junior national and world champion. He's going to be lightyears beyond McBeth (if he sticks with the sport and stays healthy)

https://www.pdga.com/player/89460

Someone already said that about

... Eagle McMahon
... David Wiggins Jr.
... Dion Arlyn

Someone already said that about

... Eagle McMahon
... David Wiggins Jr.
... Dion Arlyn
Yeah. That type of thing is almost impossible to predict. It's not about raw physical gifts or even having a good head on one's shoulders. It's about remarkable consistency, round after round, in hundreds of tournaments, over many years. I don't even know what to attribute that kind of success to, but it's extremely rare and I don't think there's a way to identify it in a player before that player demonstrates it.