• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it me or will Paul McBeth be the best DGer ever?

Forehanding a putter 300 is infinitely easier than a mid 400. I can only FH 370 max, that's definitely the top end, although it is clean, and I'm pretty sure I can get a magic relatively close to 300. Definitely 250 dead straight, just takes a lot of height for those shots.

Sidearm roller would be the shot back in the days.

I can flick a Verdict 375 with little effort.

If Paul refers to Climo as "The Champ", I think you have your answer...

He probably couldn't but nobody back then could really. I know Stokely had the distance but I'm not sure if it was as far back as 1990. That being said, I'm sure Ricky's sidearm would be better than anyone around that time with the discs around at the time. Distance is not important, what's important is whether you can throw the discs better than the players you're competing against.

^^^exactly

Wasn't there a movie about this type of debate? I say we give both Mcbeth and Climo discs and baskets and courses that were only used in the 90s and see what happens. :popcorn:

Brought to you by the same people who say Lebron is better than Jordan.

How about we respect our past accomplishments and look forward to the future. Climo and Mcbeth will both be in the HOF. But Mcbeth hasn't won as many Worlds yet, so that ends the argument for now, for now. Oh and dont forget those 4 time USDGC titles.

And whoever is the "purple leatard" who said that Ricky would have dominated the 1990s because of his radical new move, the sidearm, never saw Scott Stokely throw one, with a magnet putter.

...Paul McBeth has a chance of running after Climo's streak. Climo's streak will be hard to break/may not be able to be broken. In terms of disc technology, courses were also shorter. As discs could fly further, so newer courses became longer. Ken Climo IMO will always be the greatest disc golfer for his sustained greatness, I'm not looking at 14x, 5x, I'm looking at the fact that for 20+ years the man has remained relevant, competed with people half his age, and still can win a worlds (don't knock a masters worlds, he now has two). Paul McBeth is my favorite player because of how ridiculously good he is, but Ken Climo will remain the best of all time. Why? Because he dominated a sport for a period of time that few to none could match. If Paul continues to play Disc Golf, and dominate for the amount of years Climo did(regardless of the number of world titles or usdgc titles, then we can talk about if he was better than Climo. This is an argument not ready to be had because it is too soon to tell

Still using the word always...tsk tsk. Insert the word probably and you've got a solid post. Not the grammar police, more the "logic" police.

He probably couldn't but nobody back then could really. I know Stokely had the distance but I'm not sure if it was as far back as 1990. That being said, I'm sure Ricky's sidearm would be better than anyone around that time with the discs around at the time. Distance is not important, what's important is whether you can throw the discs better than the players you're competing against.

How quickly everyone negates what Scott could do with his sidearm...

518 feet with a discraft xs, yes...xs.

Claims of 550 were coming, and def doable with his power.

First person ever to throw over 600 feet, first person ever to break 200 meters, then 210 meters.

Sorry, Scott is the undeniable sidearm king. Give him the same discs Ricky uses today, back in his prime, and 650ish would probably be there in the equation.

How quickly we negate the superstars off yesterday just because we live in today's modern world.

He was the king of backhand and forehand in his prime. Something no one else has done since.

His injuries cut him down short in his career. Sad, he's still one of my favorite players to learn about, and probably the most unrespected power throwers by today's generation of non-pros.

A little more on his resume.

Btw, if he gives a clinic in your state....go

1995-1998 – World Record for the longest throw (656′ 6" – Discraft X-Clone)
1998-2000 – World Record for the longest throw (693′ 3" – Discraft XL)
2000-Current – World record for the longest siderarm throw (511′ 3" – Discraft XS)
1998-Current – World record for the fastest throw (91 mph – Discraft XL)
17 World and National Disc Golf Titles:
*** 2 World pairs titles
*** 2 World mixed-pairs titles
*** 2 US Open Titles
*** 4 National pairs titles
*** 2 National Tough Shot Titles
37 State Titles in Disc Golf, Distance, DDC, MTA, Accuracy and Freestyle

I just spoke w/ Scott last week and it was actually a very interesting conversation regarding the level of play among the top touring pros now vs. then.

His take was that there is way more high-level players now than there were in his professional years. That was his take-away from watching tournament footage and from talking to Kenny.

He also had some really funny stories about how the pdga put out a rule that you had to wear shirts during a tournament and there was some dude walking around with a ken-doll shirt on a necklace.

Did he happen to mention what became of the clinics he planned to hold this year? There was quite a bit of interest in the spring, and there were at least 2 different clinics (Memphis and Houston) that prepared for his arrival and got last-minute cancellations days before the events.

i think the point made regarding how sidearm has changed the game was made to point out that its easier to develop a useful sidearm with discs of the last 10-12 yrs than any type ofslam against Stokely.

The point is the game is easier than it once was.