• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is there a CA curve??

I grew up in California, and would definitely rather play there than here in Chicago, but compared to a lot of the other places I've played California courses tend to be pretty overrated. I really noticed that with several of the 9 hole courses around the L.A. area, courses that I barely gave a half disc to were rated 2-3 discs, and in my experience are nowhere near the "average" courses they're purported to be.

Its been proved through studies that Californians are way more optimistic than other regions.....Northeasterners tend to be very pessimistic and the ratings on some of their amazing courses reflects this. I still wanna play those golden hills...just looks like fun to me.

:clap: and :hfive: what danger said @ #18 above.

Plus (here's my 2¢), there's a lot of variation from course to course, even within a close geographic region. Frinstance, I've reviewed a dozen or so CA courses and all have lots of :thmbup: and very few :thmbdown: except for two. What's wrong with those two? Beats me - I have no idea! The closest I can come to an explanation is that there's a group of locals who didn't like what I said about "their" course. Do I care? A bit - I'll cop to the smidge of ego that accompanies my written word - but in the grand scheme of things, the object of the game is to get out there and have a good time.

Oh, and also, avoid trees :D

Its been proved through studies that Californians are way more optimistic than other regions.....Northeasterners tend to be very pessimistic and the ratings on some of their amazing courses reflects this. I still wanna play those golden hills...just looks like fun to me.

i moved from the northeast because of the pessimism, i still have some in me but i'm working on it...beautiful sunny days everyday does help

I'd like it if we had a comment section for the reviews... keep it minimized unless someone wants to open it up and check it out.. I don't think it's a good idea to have it so anonymous. If you're gonna take a dook on someone's work then you should have a share in the repercussions...

I suspect foul play in some of those ratings... e.g. - "I don't like that guy so I'm gonna thumbs down all his reviews" - some random member here (not actual quote...just done to illustrate a point)

Flip City doesn't need any more reviews. I didn't write one, and have played there probably fifty times. What could I say that a hundred others already have? Still would have given it a five in my book, being my favorite course played to date. But, I haven't played outside MI yet:\

This is my philosophy, when a course already has multiple reviews I don't put one in. I have played a dozen or so Cali courses and the only reviews I put in were for un reviewed courses (2 in Bakersfield) and Penn Valley which I had a great visit to. didn't review DeLa for the same reason. no need to add. I haven't gotten any negative feed back on my reviews and thought I was pretty fair so not sure if there is a Cali vibe to speak of.

I think there are many states that can compete, if not beat CA courses, Tejas being one of them. I do have to say that La Mirada is the shiznit though. Thats actually the only CA course I've played though, so I'm going on pictures, reviews, and testimony only.

la mirada is ok. dela is overrated. there are a hundred top-tier courses out here that are underexposed, just as the locals would like to keep it. the sport started here.

rate our courses however you want. chances are you wrote crappy reviews comparatively and our scholarly pool of dg net-heads nailed you for it.:eek:

talking smack on cali is VERY bad dg juju.

Shame-award-1.jpg

California is as big as several other states combined, both in geographical size and in population. It could be called a region of the country as well as a state. Criticizing all Californian disc golfers as a group because maybe a couple dozen of them didn't like your review, even though you admit it "was a little weak" is a little harsh, isn't it? I don't know if you're right about "them" or not, since I've never been West of Texas myself, but I'd be amazed if you could get 36 million people to agree on anything.

De La overrated? That's why the 2011 Worlds are in Santa Cruz/Monterey and the Jenkins both moved there.
I find the whole reviewing thing to be a bit suspect; everyone has a bias towards their local. Hell I play Aquatic Park all week long all year long. I love it and think the reviews are often low for the course that "I know and play". It has its issues and most of the negatives are true that said AP is still a killer place to play DG once you know it. That means I will give it a higher score than someone who shows up, gets lost, has issues throwing in wind over water and loses half their bag etc.

I'll tell you one thing; I'd rather live here in Ca than anywhere else disc golf or otherwise.

I see a Nor Cal vs. So Cal argument forking off of this by the time there are 75 posts.

And I've never been to Cali, so I'm not gonna talk smack on their courses. That being said, I do know of several Midwestern tournament players who have gone out there who were a bit less than impressed with the scene, most often citing courses being overcrowded and run down as their primary complaint.

I suppose the moral here is when you're blessed with something (great terrain, nice amenities, bountiful number of courses per population) in your back yard, you tend to take it for granted and speak disparagingly when you don't see it elsewhere. When there's some cross you have to bear (overcrowding, erosion, litter), you tend to get used to it, accept it as "normal" until you go someplace else and find out its not that way everywhere.

De La overrated? That's why the 2011 Worlds are in Santa Cruz/Monterey and the Jenkins both moved there.
I find the whole reviewing thing to be a bit suspect; everyone has a bias towards their local. Hell I play Aquatic Park all week long all year long. I love it and think the reviews are often low for the course that "I know and play". It has its issues and most of the negatives are true that said AP is still a killer place to play DG once you know it. That means I will give it a higher score than someone who shows up, gets lost, has issues throwing in wind over water and loses half their bag etc.

I'll tell you one thing; I'd rather live here in Ca than anywhere else disc golf or otherwise.

365 days of disc golf without freezing your butt off. No bugs....I'll take it too.

California is a big state, folks. If you're going to discuss it, maybe you can help by breaking it down a bit, and being more specific. Here is my break-down of CA disc golf by region...

Tahoe Region:
-North Tahoe Regional Park
-Bijou Community Park
-Squaw Valley DGC
-Truckee River Regional Park
-Turtle Rock Park/Markleeville
-Kirkwood Mountain Resort
-Gold Ridge Forest DGC
-Rick's Revenge
-Zephyr Cove Park (just in NV, but part of Tahoe)

Sierra Foothills:
-Finnon Reservoir
-Georgetown School
-Lions Park/Placerville
-Somerset Country Club
-Gold Ridge Forest/Pollock Pines
-Pioneer Park/Somerset
-Auburn Regional Park
-Hanging Oaks/Penn Valley
-Condon Park/Grass Valley
-Hammon Grove Park/Browns Valley
-Toney's Mountain Golf
-Lava Creek/Paradise
-Bidwell Park/Chico
-Sherwood Forest/Chico
-Riverbend Park/Oroville
-Sunset Hills Golf Course
-New Hogan Dam/Valley Springs
-Monument Ridge/Raymond
-Hensley Lake/Raymond
-Hume Lake Country Club
-Meadowbrook/Tehachapi
-Helmers Park/Ridgecrest
-Shady Rest Pines/Mammoth Lakes

Central Valley (Sacramento and San Joaquin Valleys):
-San Lauren Park/Bakersfield
-Kern River/Bakersfield
-Silver Creek Park/Bakersfield
-Westside Park/Wasco
-Riverview Park/Bakersfield
-Franklin Field/Taft
-Hart Park - Shark Tooth Mtn.
-Hart Park - Suicide Flats
-"A" Street/Taft
-Perry Championship DGC/Visalia
-Perry Outback DGC/Visalia
-Troy Korsgaden DGC/Visalia
-Centennial Park/Hanford
-Elk Bayou Park/Tulare
-Hensley Lake/Raymond
-Monument Ridge/Raymond
-Woodward Legacy/Fresno
-Firebaugh
-Coalinga
-Fahrens Park/Merced
-Arakelian Park/Livingston
-Dorotha Mae Pitts Park/Stockton
-Mike Garrigan Park/Stockton
-Oak Grove Regional Park/Stockton
-Michael Faklis Park/Stockton
-East La Loma Park/Modesto
-Elk Grove
-Covell Greenbelt/Davis
-Oxford Circle Park/Davis
-Fern Park/Woodland
-Regency Community Park/Sacramento
-John Mackey Park/Sacramento
-Albert Schweitzer Park/Carmichael
-National/Johnson Field/Travis AFB
-Lagoon Valley/Vacaville
-Shady Oaks Park/Orangevale
-Rocklin
-Black Butte Lake/Orland
-Willows

North North Central (State of "Jefferson," heh):
-Mount Shasta
-University of OB/Weed
-Simpson University/Redding
-Enterprise Community Park/Redding
-Lee Fong Park/Weaverville
-Horsetown/Redding
-Anderson River Park/Anderson
-Black Butte DGC/Shingletown

North Coast/North Coast Ranges:
-Manila Bay
-Mad River Pump Station #4/Arcata
-Humboldt State University/Arcata
-Cooper Gulch/Eureka
-College of the Redwoods/Eureka
-Beachfront Park DGC/Crescent City
-Joe Hamilton Elementary/Crescent City
-Steelhead DGC at Creekside/Willow Creek
-Southern Humbolt Community Park/Garberville
-Manchester Beach KOA/Manchester
-Mendocino High School/Mendocino
-Anderson Valley Brewing Company/Boonville
-College of the Redwoods/Fort Bragg
-Low Gap Park/Ukiah
-Mendocino College/Ukiah
-Lake Mendocino - South/Ukiah
-Lake Mendocino - North/Ukiah
-KOA Campground/Willits
-Cloverdale-KOA Campground/Cloverdale
-Highland Springs Reservoir/Lakeport
-Clear Lake High School/Lakeport
-Crane Creek/Rohnert Park
-Lucchesi Park/Petaluma
-Stafford Lake County Park/Novato
-Skyline Wilderness Park/Napa

Central Coast (Golden Gate Bridge to Point Conception):
-Chabot Park/San Leandro
-Aquatic Park/Berkeley
-Moraga Commons Park/Moraga
-Golden Gate Park/San Francisco
-Old Ranch Park/San Ramon
-California School for the Deaf/Fremont
-Venture Christian Church/Los Gatos
-Parque De La Raza/San Jose
-Hellyer Park (Coyote Creek DGC)/San Jose
-Scotts Valley High School Circuit/Scotts Valley
-Aptos High School
-Pinto Lake/Watsonville
-DeLaveaga Park/Santa Cruz
-Black Mouse DGC/Felton
-U.C. Santa Cruz
-Old Sawmill/Pebble Beach
-Eagle Eye/Monterey
-Don Dahvee Open Space/Monterey
-Ryan Ranch/Monterey
-Carmel Middle School/Carmel
-CSUMB Cypress Course/Seaside
-CSUMB Oaks Course/Seaside
-Laguna Lake/San Luis Obispo
-Sinsheimer Park/San Luis Obispo
-Preisker/Santa Maria
-Waller Park/Santa Maria
-Heilmann Park/Atascadero
-Vandenberg AFB
-Golden Hills/Paso Robles
-White Oaks Hotel Course/Lompoc

SoCal Coast (Santa Barbara to Tijuana):
-Coyote Point DGC @ Lake Casitas/Ventura
-Conejo Valley YMCA/Thousand Oaks
-Rabbit Flats/Thousand Oaks
-Lake Piru Recreation Area/Piru
-Central Park/Saugus
-Isla Vista Peace Course/Isla Vista
-Sylmar
-Evergreen Open Space/Goleta
-Polliwog Park/Manhattan Beach
-Mills Park/Carson
-Rabbit Flats/Thousand Oaks
-Private Anderson Park/Carson
-El Dorado Park/Long Beach
-Liberty Park/Cerritos
-Chavez Ridge DGC at Elysian/Los Angeles
-Huntington Beach Central Park/Huntington Beach
-Twila-Reid Park/Anaheim
-La Mirada
-Whittier Narrows Park/South El Monte
-Oak Grove (Hahamongna Park)/Pasadena
-Frontier Park/Tustin
-Deerfield Community Park/Irvine
-Northside Park/Azusa
-Kit Carson Park/Escondido
-Montiel Park/San Marcos
-CSU San Marcos/San Marcos
-Sunset Park/San Marcos
-Sun Valley/La Mesa
-Morley Field/San Diego
-Camp Pendleton
-Pine Valley

Inland Empire and Vicinity:
-Yucaipa Regional Park/Yucaipa
-Ford Park/Redlands
-Doris Davies Park/Victorville
-Palm Desert/Palm Desert
-Van Buren Golf Center/Riverside
-Wrightwood Country Club/Wrightwood
-Sunrise DGC @ Mtn. High North/Wrightwood
-River Walk/Corona
-Prado/Chino

De La overrated?
De La is respected more like the Japanese respect their elders, because they're old, not because they're necessarily competent any more. If those in charge of De La redesigned a few areas so there were no crossing fairways or interferences like discs from Top of the World bombing the parking lot, it might finally get the props it deserves from some of its detractors.

Last edited:
No chance that top of the world gets redesigned (though I agree with you about the parking lot). I think I-5 would work just as well if they played links style: move the tee to where 16's basket is, then move 16's basket to where I-5's tee is. Small change there, no crossing fairways on the course afterwards.

I thought 5 & 6 cross also or has that been fixed? Seems like there's a lot of interference around 19, 20 or 21 area but my memory is fuzzy.

It may be considered blasphemy by CA folks, but to accomplish what Chuck alluded to and what I also believe would "be better use of the land", taking the existing 27 holes and making a 'bomber 18 out of it' makes sense...at least to make things safer and to accommodate the new longer-flying discs we now have. It's not just the case of "crossing fairways", it's also the potential hitting of people on 5's green from 3's tee, 4's tee from going to long 3's pin, a couple of holes players from 6's tee, not to mention TOTW's tee shot hitting people on a few holes. Remember, a decade ago or so, only a few people could regularly go 400'...and they were good enough to "not go too far off line most times"; now a LOT of newbies can go "long and wrong".

Karl

Latest posts