• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is there a market for smaller backpack style bags?

I'm a little surprised this was only brought up on page 2 of the discussion. This and the Academy backpack (also $30) will be the chief competition in this market.

Just wanted to say you can change your view of posts per page from the default of 10 to a larger number -- I set mine to 30 which seems like a good balance.

I own the Fossa Zoma, UPD Focus and a DD Sniper bag. I still want something to hold 12-14 discs yet be lightweight like the focus with more storage. I have considered the c15 many many times, but the price and weight are always a turn off. Currently, there is not a bag on the market that fits the bill for what I'm looking for. Until then I will continue using a variety of bags to fill the void.

I would like a backpack style bag that is compact, fits about 18 discs, 2 water bottle holders, some minor amount of storage and has a built in seat.

Probably not going to happen.

I've been looking for a bag with a 10-12 disc capacity for quick rounds. At 60$ I'm sure you'll lure in a bunch of entry level players, but I'm also equally sure that the quality will be similar to what Salient gave the disc golf world.

I own the Fossa Zoma, UPD Focus and a DD Sniper bag. I still want something to hold 12-14 discs yet be lightweight like the focus with more storage. I have considered the c15 many many times, but the price and weight are always a turn off. Currently, there is not a bag on the market that fits the bill for what I'm looking for. Until then I will continue using a variety of bags to fill the void.

It sounds like the Shift would fit your criteria. It has a decent amount of storage, holds 14 discs, and is incredibly light and comfortable. Unless you just think that its too expensive or you MUST have 2 water bottle holders, I think the Shift would meet your requirements.

I've been looking for a bag with a 10-12 disc capacity for quick rounds. At 60$ I'm sure you'll lure in a bunch of entry level players, but I'm also equally sure that the quality will be similar to what Salient gave the disc golf world.

The quality of the bag in my opinion will be in line with the top bags on the marketplace. Grip bags are manufactured in China. As are upper park and pound. I know for a fact those bags are produced at under 20 dollars a bag Quality can be bad at sixty dollars and still have money being made.

I hope you meant "Quality can be had"

As are upper park and pound. I know for a fact those bags are produced at under 20 dollars a bag

Ehh not quite.

Our bags are proudly and responsibly made in Vietnam at one of the country's largest and most reputable factories. Aka Camelbaks old factory.

And if I was getting any of my bags at $20 a bag, I would not be selling them at the price I do. Not even the Focus is $20. And that's not to say that the bags couldn't be made cheaper by cutting corners on quality and materials. That's just not what we're about.

Grip bags are manufactured in China. As are upper park and pound. I know for a fact those bags are produced at under 20 dollars a bag.

I've watched a Pound bag being assembled by hand here in the good ol' O R E of G O N. You need to be fact checked. And to keep your mouth shut so the grownups can talk.

Grip bags are manufactured in China. As are upper park and pound. I know for a fact those bags are produced at under 20 dollars a bag Quality can be bad at sixty dollars and still have money being made.

... You have no idea what you're talking about. Moreover, there are plenty of good products that are manufactured outside of the United States. You patriotic imperialism notwithstanding, your "American Made" car is about 40-80% manufactured outside of the States. Automotive company with highest percentage of American made parts? Toyota... Don't try to preach quality is an American only item, and don't disparage companies that offer quality products at a lower cost because of their manufacturing origin. Pound is handmade (Oregon, I believe) and that's why it's damn near impossible to get one between costs and wait times. Grip is made in China and is still the #1 backpack in the sport. UPD is Vietnamese and absolute top-notch quality as someone who has gone through more hiking and DG gear than I care to admit. Point to be made simply, chew some Orbit. Your mouth's a bit dirty.

Pound bags produced at under $20 a bag?!? Get a grip(not the bag, they're made in China for less than $20 per bag, what a rip!). No need to worry about marketing to me, or likely anyone else who read all of your "facts".

Yes there is a market, but differenciatng from the current market without sacrificing function or visual appeal is tricky.

I'd like to see something like the Salient Spark crossed with a UPD Focus. Slimline backpack with a 14 disc max that fits close to the body.

I'd buy a totally modular bag. Modules with Velcro on them.

Want to take two 32 ounce bottles? Just stick two holders on the bag.
Need storage for rain gear? Slap an additional pouch on the bag.
Not going to use a putter today? Rip that damn putter pocket right off.

... You have no idea what you're talking about. Moreover, there are plenty of good products that are manufactured outside of the United States. You patriotic imperialism notwithstanding, your "American Made" car is about 40-80% manufactured outside of the States. Automotive company with highest percentage of American made parts? Toyota... Don't try to preach quality is an American only item, and don't disparage companies that offer quality products at a lower cost because of their manufacturing origin. Pound is handmade (Oregon, I believe) and that's why it's damn near impossible to get one between costs and wait times. Grip is made in China and is still the #1 backpack in the sport. UPD is Vietnamese and absolute top-notch quality as someone who has gone through more hiking and DG gear than I care to admit. Point to be made simply, chew some Orbit. Your mouth's a bit dirty.

There was literally nothing in my post that bragged about american made products being superior or that foreign made were inferior. Literally zero preaching or americancentric discussion took place.
I stand corrected in regards to pound, however. I have photos my friend sent me of disc golf bags coming off his line and I was sure that was the bag.

Regardless, the point of this thread is not to disparage the products of others, as what I want to create doesnt really compete with any of them. I was just curious if anyone else wants something similar to what I envision. It seems mixed, but I will likely move forward and have a half dozen samples made to see where I sit with design etc. And yes, the samples will cost more than 20 dollars, around 75, but mass produced I will be paying 20-30 depending on 600d vs 1000d and strap foam density etc.

Latest posts