• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this guy a falling-putter?

Falling putts?

• Total voters
both feldberg and jerry lewis...er...davis (one of our local pros/course proprietor/TD) are in agreement that you must plant your back foot inside the circle for it to be a legal putt.

if theyre wrong, i hope someone tells them.:\

They're wrong.

Do I belive he was balanced, yes, but now because of this thread, every unbalanced, sloppy putter will point to this as their case:(

im sorry...who are you and why should i listen to you over a pdga board member and another pillar of the dg community?
How about pointing out where it says in the rulebook that touching the other foot down is required? Doing that is one way to demonstrate control of balance but not the only way.

i was under the impression before starting this thread that stop of forward momentum could be demonstrated by pausing (completely still, which homeboy in the vid doesnt do) on one foot OR by shifting momentum backwards and planting ones off foot.

that opinion changed when feldberg and davis explained proper enforcement penalizes those who do not bring down their off foot before proceeding past the mark.

it seems to me that the pdga rules people need to get on the same page with their soldiers in the field that dictate enforcement in an effort to make a uniformed standard.

He demonstates balance. That's all that's required.

If it helps I do think the wording for the rule is bad, but I do think he's following both the rule and the intent of the rule.

He demonstates balance. That's all that's required.

"demonstration of full control of balance" is whats required, mr reading comprehension.;)

its one thing to have that balance. demonstrating it is something else completely. the object is to make it undeniably clear to anyone who is watching you.

Last edited:
Full control of balance would imply he's not on the verge of falling down. Do you believe he's in danger of that in the vid?

im not sure if he is or not. he certainly hasnt demonstrated it by halting his forward momentum.

You blind man? What do you call the pause in between me releasing my putt and stepping forward? If that's not "halting his forward momentum" I don't know what is.

dont know if anyone mentioned , but maybe this dude was just playing fast (practice) and normally plants the foot more "lady" like in tournies.

"practice" . "we not talkin bout the game but practice" , " man what we talking bout."...... "practice"

Glad someone else gets it.

tldr - 10' casual solo round gimmie putts =/= PDGA tournament putts

you slow down your forward momentum for a moment. youre still moving forward though.:wall:

If he has to clearly demonstrate balance i would say this is a falling putt, there is not 100% of me that saw "full control of balance" especially since he started with 2 feet on the ground before the marker and then finished with 1 foot behind the marker and 1 foot in front of the marker. 80% says legal,20% says violation. If the rules are getting blurred then i would say its a footfault and discuss with the group. Then we decide if its legal or not. whatever the whole group agrees to i will go with. and yes,i would discuss in league play because that also cost money just like tourneys and rules should be enforced

you slow down your forward momentum for a moment. youre still moving forward though.:wall:

I guess you and those with working eyeballs will just have to agree to disagree then man. *shakes head*

Putting a surprise in my new video in your honor.

PS - Everyone talking about minis and markers...I've never even used a mini in my life. There is no mini in the entire video. Just one more thing to think about before you critique this video as if it were footage from AM Worlds.

If the guy putted and then fell over backwards, how would you call that?

I'm calling him.

Glad someone else gets it.

tldr - 10' casual solo round gimmie putts =/= PDGA tournament putts

so what youre saying is if you were playing in a competitive setting, you would follow the rules and plant your back foot or stand still like a statue for a moment on one foot before proceeding past the mark?:)

so what youre saying is if you were playing in a competitive setting, you would follow the rules and plant your back foot or stand still like a statue for a moment on one foot before proceeding past the mark?:)

I turn a little pirouette en pointe in tournaments (without putting my other foot down). If that doesn't demonstrate full control of balance, I don't know what does.

Latest posts