• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

JMD27 2020 ITB

Something between the straighter Felon and more OS Undertaker. I could use a Fairway/Hybrid (9/10 speed) that can stand up to a little headwind and still fade out; can hold a hyzer line with no flip up, but can be put out straight for a bit before fading. I have a fortress, but they are a bit more stable than I'd like for this role (so no PD). I think the Thunderbird might fit the bill here, but wouldn't mind some input.

Getaway is probably a better fit here than Thunderbird. I've only thrown a few Thundies, but they were generally in the "stubbornly OS" category. The Thunderbird is pretty close to a mellow Felon, albeit with a bit more glide and a more forward penetrating fade rather than that whiplash fade of Felon. They are different discs but not different enough to warrant bagging both, IMO. Getaway is in the same general disc type as the Thundy, but is glidier and will push forward more in fade. Can hold up in a decent headwind but is definitely no replacement for your Felons in a hurricane. Getaway bridges your gap better since it is a tad less stable than Thunderbird.

My absolute favorite plastic was the Special Edition run, which came out flatter and was basically Fuzion-X before Fuzion-X was a thing. I've tried Lucid-X and didn't care for it, for the same reason I don't particularly like Thunderbirds. I think any stock run of Lucid or Fuzion would be basically what you are looking for. I personally really like the Getaway in Biofuzion though. Gives you a bit more distance out of the box and quickly works in to being one of my longest discs. On a day when I'm not throwing great, a Bio Getaway can keep pace with my Trespasses. However, the mold does lose a fair amount of windfighting capability in Biofuzion plastic.

EDIT: Slower disc, but I am re-visiting the Teebird here. It also fills the Getaway slot but is more rangable with less fade (no surprise since it's a slower disc).

Last edited:
Getaway is probably a better fit here than Thunderbird. I've only thrown a few Thundies, but they were generally in the "stubbornly OS" category. The Thunderbird is pretty close to a mellow Felon, albeit with a bit more glide and a more forward penetrating fade rather than that whiplash fade of Felon. They are different discs but not different enough to warrant bagging both, IMO. Getaway is in the same general disc type as the Thundy, but is glidier and will push forward more in fade. Can hold up in a decent headwind but is definitely no replacement for your Felons in a hurricane. Getaway bridges your gap better since it is a tad less stable than Thunderbird.

My absolute favorite plastic was the Special Edition run, which came out flatter and was basically Fuzion-X before Fuzion-X was a thing. I've tried Lucid-X and didn't care for it, for the same reason I don't particularly like Thunderbirds. I think any stock run of Lucid or Fuzion would be basically what you are looking for. I personally really like the Getaway in Biofuzion though. Gives you a bit more distance out of the box and quickly works in to being one of my longest discs. On a day when I'm not throwing great, a Bio Getaway can keep pace with my Trespasses. However, the mold does lose a fair amount of windfighting capability in Biofuzion plastic.

EDIT: Slower disc, but I am re-visiting the Teebird here. It also fills the Getaway slot but is more rangable with less fade (no surprise since it's a slower disc).

Nicely!

The getaway is something I've thought about. I understand it is a workhorse fairway driver, and my worry is that it might get to be too similar to an undertaker in little time (I love trilogy, but their plastic is not as durable as most brands, for sure). Might get one to try though. Might as well audition to position!

Nicely!

The getaway is something I've thought about. I understand it is a workhorse fairway driver, and my worry is that it might get to be too similar to an undertaker in little time (I love trilogy, but their plastic is not as durable as most brands, for sure). Might get one to try though. Might as well audition to position!

I've thrown Getaways since they came out. They were definitely my workhorse fairway driver when I lived in Nebraska and was playing windy park style courses 90%+ of the time. Perfect combo of windfighting, distance, and control for Central Plains golf. Now that I am playing mostly wooded courses, it is a situational mold only. I find that I'd rather throw something either more neutral/workable or a meathook disc, but that middle ground straight-to-moderate-fade shot isn't really something I need a whole lot.

As for the Undertaker comparison, I'd say that a fresh Biofuzion Getaway would overlap with an Elite Z Undy (sorry, that's the only plastic I've thrown an Undertaker in). The Getaway has a more reliable fade, even in Biofuzion, but the HSS is really similar. A max weight Lucid Getaway would give you a good amount of separation from a max weight Elite Z Undertaker though. The Getaway is both more HSS and more LSS, but with similar glide/speed.

I can vouch for the Getaway as well, it's a great disc. More glidey and understable than the Thunderbird for sure. If you want it to be reliable in headwinds I'd recommend a max weight Lucid. The Biofuzion is definitely more understable and will beat into a hyzer flip disc in a few months if you throw it a lot, at least it did for me. Like mentioned the Getaway is sneaky long as well.

Tourney yesterday, again at highbridge. Played Granite long-long, and blueberry. It was very windy. I averaged mid 940s, which is cool, so I'm right around 960 the passed 4 tourney rounds. That's neat.

I feel very confident off the T, despite not getting massive distance (much more of a controlled thrower than distance, I like Truths and Undys off most Ts). I triple putted a couple times, and even four putted once.... (I blame being out of position, and getting aggressive in the wind, but seriously, a 6 on a par 3 is not acceptable). Putting is such a hinderance.

Anyway, bag was more or less the same. Used the Fortress in the slot discussed the past few posts. Served its purpose.

After this event, I'm in this zone where I am debating switching back to a trespass cycle (little less stable then the wraith, but I think more D potential with my arm), and potentially trying a new putter, just to try and flip a switch with my mindset. Nothing in stone yet though... shrugs.

Here's to hoping for a big bump in rating tomorrow.

I know lots of people think ratings are dumb, but it's fun to get a "grade" on how you play. I had a decent jump today, but this last weekends event wasn't included, so I should see another small jump next month too.

Checking the math: average(970 off the tee, 900 on the green)= 935. It checks out.

Took trespasses (in place of wraiths) to leagues yesterday. Couple holes calls for a long shot. Kinda made me wonder why I switched to begin with.. Such easy distance, very comfortable. Got this very domey MF Lucid that, at my power, flies like what a beat in destroyer flies like for pros (granted probably half the distance...). Some flip to straight flight to small fade. So nice.

Might dabble with them for a while. Got a baby on the way, so hoping to get out a bit here before she comes!

LwZj7yKl.jpg

Judge / Judge / Proxy / Envy / Zone
Warrant / Truth / ETruth / Verdict
Heat / Undy / Undy / Undy / Felon / Felon
Fortress / Trespass / Trespass / Trespass / Trespass

I'm digging Trespass's as well as of late. How do you like the 2019 Lucid-X Trespass? Is it noticeably more stable than a traditional lucid Trespass?

I'm digging Trespass's as well as of late. How do you like the 2019 Lucid-X Trespass? Is it noticeably more stable than a traditional lucid Trespass?

I dig it a lot. I am sad I let a couple backups go. It is very OS, for my arm anyway. Bio Enforcer-ish. In fact, the bio Enforcers are the backup to that guy now. It's just more pretty. Doesn't come out often, though.

But yes, very good OS compliment to a normal Lucid Trespass.

First time out to league since baby came in mid June.

Went to league at Superior Municipal Forest. Played fairly well. Very large turnout, maybe 25-30 people. Noah Meintsma showed up and won with a 48. My buddy Sam got 2nd with a 51, and I got third with a 52. Missed 2 putts within 12 feet… that was disappointing. Otherwise thought it was a decent round. Bag:

Judge - prime newish, main putter (J1)
Judge - prime beat, distance putter (J2)
Proxy - plasma, main BH approach (Pr)
Envy - plasma, S/OS putter shots (En)
Zone - Z, OS/FH approaches (Zn)
Warrant - Lucid, US mid (Wr)
Truth - PreMac, S/US mid (T1)
Truth - Emac, S/OS mid (T2)
Verdict - Lucid X, OS mid (Vr)
Heat - ESP, US fairway (Ht)
Undy - beat Z, S/US fairway (U1)
Undy - fresh Z, S fairway (U2)
Undy - FRZ, S/OS fairway (U3)
Felon - Lucid, OS fairway (Fn1)
Felon - Lucid X, meathook (Fn2)
Trespass - Lucid, S distance (Ts1)
Trespass - Chameleon, S/OS (Ts2)
Enforcer - Bio, meathook (Ef)

Started on hole 3:
SH3: Pr off T, slight grip lock to 15'; J1 for 2
H4: T2 off T, good drive, short to 20'; J1 off cage; tap in 3
LH5: U1 off T, soft, no flip, short left to 50'; J2 up; tap in 3
SH6: Fn1 FH wide off T to 25'; J1 for 2
LH7: U3 hyzer to 70'; J2 up; tap in 3 (I play for 3)
SH8/P4: U2 off T into trees; Fn2 over to bad spot; Wr turnover to 30' behind/under trees; J1 miss; in for 5
LH9; Ts1 off T, into early tree; En up to 12'; J1 miss am side (shoulda stayed..); tap in 4
SH10: Fn1 off T; pushed straight, long 25'; J1 in for 2
SH11/P4: T2 off T to good spot; U1 play for green, shank into trees; Pr miss tight window to 60'; J2 jump miss; tap in 5
SH12: U2 hyzer, hit tree, drop to 45'; J1 miss; tap in 3
H13: U1 flip too much; Zn FH into trees, 30'; J1 lucky in for 3
SH14; Ts1 off T to behind big tree, 25'; J1 into cage; tap in 3
SH15: En off T, square first available; Zn flex FH up; tap in 3
H16: T2 off T, good shot to 15'; J1 in for 2
SH17: Fn2 FH off T, got over on it, 35'; J1 cage hit; tap in 3
LH18: U2 off T, great line to 20'; J1 in for bonus 2
SH1: En off T, missed line but fought to 12'; J1 uphill miss… tap in 3
SH2: Pr off T, early release to 20'; J1 in for 2

7 birds, 3 bogies for 52 on par 56. Not bad after taking a decent hiatus.

Still think I could use something between the U3 and Fn1…. Shrugs.

Last edited:
Did invest in a couple of Getaways (thanks PSHU!). Will test it out to either go in between the felon and FRZ Undy, or maybe replace the FRZ Undy if it offers enough additional stability. I don't throw the FRZ Undy too much, FWIW.

Ratings update- well, made it to 940 (I got to exactly 940 today) for the first time in my career. Pretty cool. I've only got 6 rated rounds this year so far, but I've played the most consistent golf to date. This year, my lowest round is 940, and my average (of the six rounds) is 960. That feels like where I should be.

My game as a whole has just felt good lately. Putting is simplified and has resulted in being pretty consistent at the range I should be making putts (maybe 25 ft). I incorporated an additional step and arm-hitch (similar to Doss or McBeth during their runup; put arm forward during x step than bring it back and release) which has led to a little more power/distance and a little better and consistent accuracy.

Could do without the random missed putts inside the circle, and still need to work on the upshot control (150-200 foot distance), but am pretty happy with the game. Cheers!

So I'm back to finding the Proxy/Envy combo too fast for the driving/approach putters. They are great alone, but too niche for the full bag.

I want to fill the gap between the Reko and the Zone, so I invested in a couple Storm Knifes. Also, starting to think about replacing the Warrants, so I also got a couple Cosmic Piwakawakas coming. And a backup Lucid Trespass (MarshalSt got my money today). Hope the experiment goes well!

Been way overthinking my bag lately… "I should only have 15 discs" or "why this disc" or "can I get away without this?"…. Just need to be fine with what I have!

Another journal entry….

I feel good in that the core of my bag has remained pretty consistent for quite some time: Judge, Zone, ETruth, Verdict, Felon, Undy, Trespass (the heat and enforcer, too, but neither see air time very often, if not only a couple times a year).

There just remains a few spots of my bag in flux: the space between the felon and Undy (currently the Getaway, though I might be on the hunt for something that is even a little more OS, but not PD/Fortress OS), the US mid that I don't want to be too understable (currently back to the OOP Warrant; the Piwak is a bit too finicky, likes to flip too early in its flight. I just ordered a VIP Tursas as I hear they are Comet-y without feeling like a brick-lined dinner plate. Juries still out. Just want a good tunnel shot disc that won't burn right, but can work the high anny lines to the ground), and, the most fluxed part of my bag, the throwing/approach putter (always on the hunt…).

I keep intending to bag the Reko, but often seem to start my round with an Envy/Proxy. The Reko is a great standalone, though I usually bag two, where the gyros need to be paired to cover what I would like. I am finding myself wishing the Reko started out just a hair more stable (it's honestly more of a 3/3/-0.5/1 kinda disc, but I want something that starts out with a true 0 turn). The Praxis is something I may give a shot in the near future, as i have read it might just fill that spot well.

Anyway, got the LSO coming up in two weeks. Moving up to MPO. One; just seems like it's time to start playing up. Two; the courses MA1 are playing are not my favorite, where MPO plays the fun ones. Three; tickle-toes is getting so big; Second week of daycare next week, whoop….

TL/DR: regurgitating thoughts. Carry on.

You think the best mid ever made feels bad? :(
Some alternatives might be a Z Meteor, Fuse, Bounty, M4. I think if I weren't bagging Comets I would probably throw Fuses.

Gonna be hard to get a true 0,1 putter that isn't a baseline OS putter that you beat up, like a beat up BT Harp or even just KC aviars in different wear.

I understand there is a lot of love for the comet. And for good reason. Hand feel is of upmost important to me, as if the disc is not comfortable, releases become inconsistent. Although it's not a big deal, I would prefer beadless and shallow discs to throw, and the comet is beaded and deep, along with that perpendicular inner rim… just can't do it! The fuse kinda falls on that same boat, though I think it is better.

Harps and Aviars same issues as above; also why I have a hard time throwing judges, but love them for putting. No issue hunting the disc that is right for the job! It's just time consuming. Thanks for the input, and solid 1000+ rated rounds last weekend!

I understand there is a lot of love for the comet. And for good reason. Hand feel is of upmost important to me, as if the disc is not comfortable, releases become inconsistent. Although it's not a big deal, I would prefer beadless and shallow discs to throw, and the comet is beaded and deep, along with that perpendicular inner rim… just can't do it! The fuse kinda falls on that same boat, though I think it is better.

Harps and Aviars same issues as above; also why I have a hard time throwing judges, but love them for putting. No issue hunting the disc that is right for the job! It's just time consuming. Thanks for the input, and solid 1000+ rated rounds last weekend!

M4 I think would fall into what you're looking for and will start out a little more stable than the Tursas.

You could also try beating up a D or Jawbeaker Zone or a 300 A2. A D Zone is pretty cheap haha.

Thanks!

M4 I think would fall into what you're looking for and will start out a little more stable than the Tursas.

You could also try beating up a D or Jawbeaker Zone or a 300 A2. A D Zone is pretty cheap haha.

Thanks!

Considered the M4, and by all accounts, would probably do well. However, I am also picky in that I don't like to rely on beat up discs. I think the M4 would start off too stable, and relative to a slightly seasoned ETruth. I don't mind throwing a seasoned disc (maybe one or two seasons, then they usually hit the shelf), but I've lost go-to beat up discs, and it's a bad feeling. Also… only throw premium plastics… golly, I'm a picky MF… I have my reasonings though. Looking for that off the shelf flight, more or less. I might acquire a fuse and give that a go. The US mids will all have to duke it out!

Latest posts