• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

JMD27 2020 ITB

Transitioned to 18 holes in 2018. Nine buckets and the concrete pads were recycled then, and nine new buckets added, which had dirt pad locations.

It is completely put together and maintained by volunteer labor, but materials were provided by the city last year. It was just a matter of getting everyone together/on the same page to get it finished. TBH, the volunteer corp around the area is maybe meager, though it is getting better. So it just took time and desire to get it done (thanks B Tribs and crew!). I wish I could say I was part of the volunteer corps, but I only get out maybe two or three times a year to help, so I could be better.

Anyway, just took some time and lining things up. Happy it's done now!

If you haven't yet, get to superior municipal forest this season. Two pads on 14 holes, all concrete as of this last year. Very fun. Score on the front and last few, survive the middle.

sometimes its literally one or two people holding together the course

well sick im super glad to hear its got 18 concrete placed

i do a ton of camping at j cook and love mtb in duluff

carlton is the nice side treat

yah i (wolfhaley/mrswolfhaley was with too) finally got to play with the new concrete pads and it was enjoyable

not a fan of duluff dg but i do enjoy the terrain of the quarry

overall yall got some sick land up there and its always a treat visiting

plus i didnt know ursa minor had legit wood stove pizza i was really pleasantly surprised

I've had some PP dinero burning a hole in my digital pocket. So… I got a backup Chameleon Canadien Nats Trespass (that's my 5th, but I lost one last year, so I got 4; this is a great trespass run), and also invested in a few Zeus'. Not cuz PMcB, but I read it is a more comfortable/shallow Destroyer that is not as OS. I'm game with that. So we will give them a try, cuz why not.

also invested in a few Zeus'. Not cuz PMcB, but I read it is a more comfortable/shallow Destroyer that is not as OS. I'm game with that. So we will give them a try, cuz why not.

Have you tried the Grace? That's been my go to 'Max distance' this last year. 2.2 rim width puts you at the destroyer/emperor hand feel (same width as an enforcer for what it's worth) just with a blunter nose/ less agressive wing. The first runs were super straight to flippy, and didn't have the dome to really give it the "6" glide, but the stock runs have some pop-top and a bit more stability. I find The different runs compliment eachother nicely. Though through reading this thread, it seems you like various plastics per mold.. so maybe limiting yourself to just the Grand takes the Grace off the table. But I love it

Did invest in a couple of Getaways (thanks PSHU!). Will test it out to either go in between the felon and FRZ Undy, or maybe replace the FRZ Undy if it offers enough additional stability. I don't throw the FRZ Undy too much, FWIW.

Curious to hear how this portion of your bag is shaping up. How are you liking the Getaway? Does it fill the gap you're trying to fill? Curious if the Vulture or Anax might fit the bill, if not.

I throw CD2s (similar enough to the Underdaker?though ive never thrown one to confirm) and love 'em. I used to throw a Getaway, but i actually enjoy the variety i get with PDs and they took over my bag as the 'workhorse.' the CD2 comes in as something with a bit more glide and shape compared to the "point and shoot" flight I get from the PD. Those 2 discs, the felon and the Crave are the meat and potatoes of my bag.

Curious to hear how this portion of your bag is shaping up. How are you liking the Getaway? Does it fill the gap you're trying to fill? Curious if the Vulture or Anax might fit the bill, if not.

I throw CD2s (similar enough to the Underdaker?though ive never thrown one to confirm) and love 'em. I used to throw a Getaway, but i actually enjoy the variety i get with PDs and they took over my bag as the 'workhorse.' the CD2 comes in as something with a bit more glide and shape compared to the "point and shoot" flight I get from the PD. Those 2 discs, the felon and the Crave are the meat and potatoes of my bag.

Getaway in theory is nice. Couple things hold it back for me though. It's not as OS as I would have liked for his spot in the bag, which is why I've leaned towards bagging the Fortress. And the hand feel is a little different. The inner rim is too perpendicular, and feels pretty deep.

Hand feel is a big part of why I choose discs. It's why I never stick with the wraith; it just feels too deep and that results in grip locks occasionally. The trespass is shallow, which I like. But I am always searching for something else. The enigma is nice, but doesn't start out OS enough to cycle them alone, which is why I got some Zeus.

Does the Grace have a shallow feel? How's the stability compared to the trespass?

Getaway in theory is nice. Couple things hold it back for me though. It's not as OS as I would have liked for his spot in the bag, which is why I've leaned towards bagging the Fortress. And the hand feel is a little different. The inner rim is too perpendicular, and feels pretty deep.

Hand feel is a big part of why I choose discs. It's why I never stick with the wraith; it just feels too deep and that results in grip locks occasionally. The trespass is shallow, which I like. But I am always searching for something else. The enigma is nice, but doesn't start out OS enough to cycle them alone, which is why I got some Zeus.

Does the Grace have a shallow feel? How's the stability compared to the trespass?

Not sure if you've thrown a Photon, but right now that's my beefy distance driver. I go Photon-Wraith-Trespass at the moment rather than trying to carry a fresh stable Trespass. They're a little narrower rimmed and sharper than an Enforcer and not as much of a beefcake (at least the Elaine King Fission I have isn't).

I also ended up with a Mint Alpha as my bridge between an Undertaker and Firebird. I don't throw as far as you so it may not be as beefy as you're looking for, but I'm a sucker for their plastic.

Both the Grace and Tresspass are listed as 1.1cm deep rims, so that depth should feel the same, the grace just has that 2.2 wide rim vs the tresspass' 2.1. the grace is one of the most comfortable discs Ive ever thrown. In terms of stability though... hard for me to compare.. only thrown the tresspass once or twice. But my stock run Grace flies very similar to a fresh star wraith, it just goes further. In the 'Grace thread' on this site, people are saying the Grace is MORE stable than their wraiths--I don't find that to be the case, I find them incredibly similar. [for reference, we have similar power, I max out around 430, and throw 400 comfortably]
But I am very curious to get my hands on more of the stock run to see if I can find some beef cakes.

4JV99Bvl.jpg

Blue/Yellow bag for our round at Carlton today. Decent round; 2 bogies, 4 birdies. Still lots of snow.

Blues:
Prime Judges (2), Plasma Envy (blue rim, yellow core), Z Zone, Lucid ETruth, Lucid-X Verdict, Lucid Felon, Z Undertaker

Yellows:
Plasma Proxy (yellow rim, blue core), Lucid ETruth, Cosmic Piwakawaka, Lucid-X Felon, VIP Fortress, ARZ Heat

First tourney of the year tomorrow. Two rounder, 44 holes. And it's gunna be cold! Goal is to not ruin my rating, which might be tough since I have not gotten to play much yet this year. Tough, wooded course with only a few open holes, but it's a very fun track. Will lean heavy on the slower discs for the most part.

Putts:
Judge - pair of primes. One fresher, one seasoned.

Short:
Proxy - plasma, straight/slightly US putter shots and approaches.
Envy - 170 g plasma, digging the slightly lighter ones with a tiny dome for glidey, S/OS short shots.
Zone - fresh '22 ledgy Z glo for the OS and FH duties.

Mid:
Piwakawaka - cosmic, hyzer flips, holds turnovers and gently thrown hyzers very nice.
ETruth - 3x Lucid, fresh, worn, old PrEMac, S/US to S/OS, will see plenty of work out there.
Verdict - glimmer X, middle dome very OS run, short hyzers and flexes.

Control:
Heat - ESP, situational, good chance it won't get thrown.
Undertaker - 2x Zs, one fresher, one beat, longer truth duties.
Fortress - VIP for straight to OS control distance shots, might be one or two tee shots for it.
Felon - 2x, Lucid and LX, likely all FH except one tee shot where steep BH hyzer spike is the play.

Distance:
Good question. Course will call for one or two straight distance shots, and also one or two longer hyzer shots. Will be some combo of:
Trespass, Wraith, Zeus, Enigma. Kind of leaning towards a wraith pair. We will see.
Enforcer - Lucid or bio, just in case.

Went with

Trespass - Lucid, Chameleon, LX, distance.

Wish it mattered. Played as well as a dumpster fire smells. Averaged maybe 930 golf. Will start the year taking a huge hit to my rating, with this event and other rounds dropping.

Learned that I was not prepared, not in shape, and not practiced enough this early in the year for an event. Nowhere to go but up, right?

Journal entry.

Last Sunday I shot a PR -5 at Carlton. Was crazy cuz I was +2 through the front nine, and went -7 through the back nine (missed 15 and 16). Backhand game was on point. Putting and FH, not as much, but putting easy when you are close.

Next day, my ankle injury flared up super hard, and now I can hardly walk… so that sucks. Hoping it gets better sooner rather than later.

Thinking I'll continue with bagging the Proxy/Envy combo. They just so good.

I am continuing my distance driver quest. While I was sitting on my bum not being able to do anything, I bought a few Rives and another Enigma. Think I'll use the two molds in tandem for the distance slots. Can bookend with an enforcer and/or beat trespass if needed.

But now I have too many distance drivers sitting around. Trespasses (galore), Enigmas, Wraiths, Zeus', Rives (coming), defender, enforcers… humbug.

Completely skipped over my last tourney a couple weekends ago. Cuz it was unremarkable. Another ratings drop imminent. Putting is hard.

Got out to Backwoods leagues tonight. Was ok. Three putter once early (on a shorter hole, ugh). Put a lot of drives to edge of circle. Wasn't really able to capitalize. Lots of pars. Finished even, three birdies, one single and one double. Ended on hole 17, very wooded 300 footer, that I managed to park without hitting any trees. Started on 18, but Hole 1-18:

3, 5, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 3, 4, 2, 3 = 54

Judges / Proxy / Envy / Zone
I was managing to hit metal on a lot of longer putts, just didn't connect. Few Proxy drives.

Piwak / Old-Truth / ETruth x2 / Verdict
Hit an impressive upshot with the Piwak. Otherwise the Old-Truth and worn in ETruth were the workhorses. Tried a silly line with the LX Verdict that resulted in a bogey. Whoops.

Heat / Undertaker x2 / Fortress / Felon x2
Number of undertaker drives, mixed results. Couple felon shots, including a FH drive that felt good but clipped a tree late. I can't remember the last time I threw the heat. I guess it's nice to have, in case? Shrugs.

Enigma / Rive
There were a few Enigma shots. Disc was coming out clean, felt nice. Gotta get my arm speed back up. Hard with limited play. Gotta start working in a rive, eventually.

Last edited:
Went up to Judson Mine longs on Friday. Nice but a bit breezy.

3, 2, 3, (4), 1, 3, 2, 3, 3, 5, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 2 = 54 (-2)

Discs:

Judges
Proxy
Envy
Zone
Warrant (aced 5!)
Truth
ETruth
Verdict (not thrown)
Heat
Used-Undertaker
Newish-Undertaker
Fortress
Felon
LX-Felon (not thrown)
Used-Enigma (lost in the lake…)
Newish-Enigma
Rive

Well, been a while. Two weeks ago I had a local tourney, at Carlton, a course I play regularly and play well at, and Spirit Mountain, which is more of a grueling hike then disc golf. I played very poorly at both courses. Was bummed about Carlton, and just wanted to go shower halfway through Spirit Mountain. Worst tourney I've played in probably 6 years. Hoping the round rating just are too bad to count, or else I am dropping a lot this next updated.

Anyway, yesterday was a wet league round at SMF. It rained hard right before league started, so it was slick and muddy.

I played decent. Shot par in the wet conditions. Few nice putts, slowed down drives. Put a towel down for my plant foot on the teepad which is something I don't normally do, but I had a bad slip that resulted in a double bogey on the second hole. Shooting par was enough for the W, and I also snagged the 1 tag, so it was a good day of DG.

Likely going to play the iron range classic on Sunday. Really hoping I can just shoot well enough to balance out my last event, maybe salvage a 940 for the next update. Bag, of late and moving forward for now:

Judge/Judge/Judge/Reko/A2 - like to have two prime judges for putting, but also have a beat to hades prime for straight up shots and flippy putter shots, with a premium Reko and A2 for straight to fade and OS drives and upshots.

Warrant/Old-Truth/E-Truth/Verdict - can't ditch the warrant, useful for when the FH isn't feeling great, and great for touchy shots, the old-truth is the straight workhorse, with the E-truth and LX Verdict there for when a couple ticks in stability are required.

Heat/Undertaker/Undertaker/Felon/Felon - heat doesn't see action, just have for when it's needed. The Undertakers differ in wear, and get used a lot, and the felons are for FHs, ones lucid and the other LX, so they pair well together.

Fortress/Enigma/Enigma/Rive - fortress is mainly for long hyzers or flexes around the fairway driver distance, Enigmas are workhorses, differing in wear/stability, and the Rive is such a workable and comfortable OS distance driver that actually goes far still. I'm topping out around 400 on a good pull with the Enigmas these days, comfortable to 380ish, usually.

Last edited:
Played in the last regional twin ports event, two rounds (longs then shorts) at superior municipal. First round playing the longs it poured rain the entire time. Made it frustrating, and made me realize that maybe bagging some base plastic discs wouldn't hurt. Threw the K3 Reko a lot when it was tough to get dry. Weather cleared up for the second round, which was a welcome treat. I averaged about 960. A sigh of relief as compared to the stretch I have been going through this year. Tied second out of six. Was a fine day. Some strokes I'd love to get back, but fine overall.

LSO is next weekend, so the bag probably won't change in the meantime. Been researching replacements for the Warrant, since it's OOP. And considering an understable putter for touch and turnover. And also the overstable backhand control driver. I bag a fortress usually, but they are also hard to come by. Thinking about a Thunderbird or Alpha. Dunno yet.

Judge, Judge, *K3 Reko, ***K1 Reko-fresh, *K1 Reko-used, ZSP Zone
Lucid Warrant, Lucid Old PrEMac Truth, Lucid Truth-used, **Lucid Truth-fresh, ***Lucid X Verdict
**ESP Heat, *Z Undertaker-used, Z Undertaker-fresh, **VIP Fortress, **Lucid Felon, *Lucid-X Felon
*Neo Enigma-used, ***Neo Enigma-fresh, *Grand Rive

* Go-To
** limited, less than a few throws
*** no action

Stopped at gggt on my way out of state for work. Got a 400 PA-5 to audition. Felt up the sol and lobster and fuse (w/r/t dropping the warrant at some point). I decided to stick it out with the warrant for now, maybe swap in the freshy, shelve the used/aced one.

I don't much like that my bag is growing. Bag building is an art in my mind, and generally like the idea of keeping things simple, and not too many discs, and build a bag that is "permanent," doesn't change. But the fact of the matter is, the bag generally does change per the course/conditions… so I should get over it. Shrugs.

Let's start an evaluation series!

Putters…

Judge x2 Prime - Putting. I've been on judges for a long time now, and don't care to change. But, Are two needed? Is that just the "norm"? I'd like to think they fly a little different, but not sure it matters at putting ranges… Maybe I invest in a classic blend to cover one of these (can putt if I lose my prime, and it's sticky) and the next disc…

Reko K3 - main approach. This is a strange spot, and is not normal for me, but have really liked it recently. It's a good do it all short range disc, in my mind, good in all weather. Needed?

Reko K1 - putter driver, sometimes carry two, differ by wear. I will bag at least one, and could likely get by. But I like throwing putters, especially on my local woods courses.

Zone "Z"SP - idk what the plastic is, but it's nice (I have others I could use as well, ESPs usually). Obviously this ain't leaving. Great for FHs. I may swap an A2 in there, but lately the zone has done me well.

PA-5 400 - obviously haven't thrown it yet, but it's a slot I want to give a shot. Necessary? I toy with the idea of bagging a 4 speed to take up the putter and mid spot (like a Sol, though I worry it might be too flippy). But idk yet.

So I could theoretically have up to 7 putters in my bag at once. Geez. But, cut out two Rekos, and I'm down to 5; 2 putters, then US/S/OS… sounds reasonable.

TLDR, doesn't matter.

We will see about continuing this assessment later. But, this last weekend was the LSO. In brief, it went "meh, ok." There was a flex start C tier on Thursday as well, so I got four sanctioned rounds in last week, and six in the last two weeks. As of now, I averaged ~955 over those six rounds. They should help me bounce back up after tanking my rating this year.

If I can:
A. Stop with the stupid first hole jitters, which typically lead to me taking a bogey (or worse), and
2. Avoid the blowup holes!!
I'd probably average 10-20 points better. But!… here we are.

My "circle one" putting has been very good of late, feeling confident from close. At range I feel fine, but have had poor luck with the disc dropping (lots of metal). All other parts of my game are up and down, per the usual.

A bagged all the norms.

Well, I suppose I can update things. Start with the bad. Played my first tourney of 2023 on March 4. One good round, one very not good round. Averaged 922. I felt lucky the first round, and unlucky the second. Putting was ok. But I was down and out with DG for a while after the event.

Playing local leagues/doubles, I have fared very well. But i want the snow to go!!….

Last edited:
The good = today. Played my second tourney of the year. Conditions for the day in Chisholm: felt like ~15 degrees, snowed constantly all day, with about 6 inch accumulation, and constant ~20 mph winds, with ~40ish gusts. It was a terrible day to play two rounds of DG. Still had 25+ (12 MPO field) crazies show up to play a tourney.

Result: my first "MPO" win, to tag along with my first 1000+ rated round. Averaged 986 for the two rounds. Pretty darn cool. Putting was just on. And most things clicked the second round.

Prime Judge x2
K3 Reko - honestly used this a bit more for putting since the k3 plastic does so well in wet and cold.
400 PA5 - no throws
Plasma Proxy - couple throws
Plasma Envy - couple
500 A2 - more OS than I really wanted at times
Lucid Warrant - one upshot
Lucid Truth - one drive
Lucid EMac - nothing
LX Verdict - nada
ESP Heat - nope
CN Crave - two throws, two bogies. Ugh
Z Undertaker - couple
VIPX Fortress - leaned on this one, did well