• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jomez tour

turbosteve

Eagle Member
Can Jomez run their own tour? I think the algorithm will continue pushing Jomez videos over videos on the Disc Golf Pro Tour channel. Would the pros play a Jomez tournament over a DGPT tournament? I think they would because that exposure would help them sell their discs.

Can Jomez run their own tour? I think the algorithm will continue pushing Jomez videos over videos on the Disc Golf Pro Tour channel. Would the pros play a Jomez tournament over a DGPT tournament? I think they would because that exposure would help them sell their discs.

They totally could. CCDG + Jomez would be a powerful combination too.

If I hit the lottery, I'd even fund it.

Now where is the lottery located so I can knock it over?

I think the better question is...should they? Is developing another pro tour healthy for the game? Where is the AM side left in this quest? Does the average disc golfer care where production of video is coming from? Keeping in mind that DGCR is probably not the average disc golfer.....nor are the players on any of these tours.

They totally could. CCDG + Jomez would be a powerful combination too.

If I hit the lottery, I'd even fund it.

Now where is the lottery located so I can knock it over?

Jomez is filming with Brodie Smith which means they will get a lot more subscribers. I don't understand why Steve Dodge doesn't want this audience watching his tournaments?

I think the better question is...should they? Is developing another pro tour healthy for the game? Where is the AM side left in this quest? Does the average disc golfer care where production of video is coming from? Keeping in mind that DGCR is probably not the average disc golfer.....nor are the players on any of these tours.

Without the a sponsor paying for AM coverage they will be left in the dust. Jomez, CCDG, Smashboxx, etc all gotta eat.

There is little coverage of AM ball golf events. There is little coverage of AM football events (NCAA is NOT amateur). It's the way of the world we live in.

Pro Growth isn't the only way to grow the sport but it is an effective way to grow media attention.

I don't think Jomez would need to "run" a tour. They could probably just hustle their way through a good schedule and get some eyeballs on lesser-known events. That would be their version of a tour, which is more like a band playing a variety of venues, than the DGPT or PDGA version, which is a set of intertwined events that have branding, points series, etc.

Great point... jomez should start covering Rec cards from around the country. It will be the Jomez Chump Tour. The view counts will shoot through the roof. :wall:

Jomez could run their own tour but I don't think they need to.

If they want to make more videos they could easily find more tournaments to cover. As long as there are a few big name pros playing and the commentary is good people will watch.

The premise is off thinking that pros will go where there is superior media coverage.

That needs to be combined with a good payout.

The top ten guys who actually make a living off disc golf will say that they will hit the Jomez Tour, but the rest of the people are going where the money is.

The premise is off thinking that pros will go where there is superior media coverage.

That needs to be combined with a good payout.

The top ten guys who actually make a living off disc golf will say that they will hit the Jomez Tour, but the rest of the people are going where the money is.

If the top 10 guys play the Jomez events wouldn't most of the viewership follow them? If that were to happen wouldn't less people follow the DGPT and cause the money to dry up there?

If the top 10 guys play the Jomez events wouldn't most of the viewership follow them? If that were to happen wouldn't less people follow the DGPT and cause the money to dry up there?

Viewership after the fact does not make a tournament.

If only the top ten guys are there, how will they get paid?

They need all of the donaters to get paid.

The guys who place 10th to Last Cash don't care about viewership, they want to win something to stay on tour.

If only the top ten guys are going to Jomez Pro Tours, that will dry up quickly unless those TD's are finding tons of added cash/sponsors.

Last edited:
I like what Jomez has done. They don't need the headache of managing a tour series. That's committing themselves to TDing a series of large tournaments. I don't think that's in their wheelehouse.

Many of you guys may not remember the old Disc Golf Monthly vids (God rest your weary soul Cubby). They were good for 10 years ago but Jomez has turned it up to 11. They have great commentary and the drone shots are neat too. Their current model is working. They just need to sell more advertising spots on their vids to stay "free" on YT. If not they could sell subscriptions. It's the way video entertainment is going. Just covering the DG Majors is plenty of work and I'm sure it can be costly. If they can sell their vids as an advertising space to companies selling ancillary products for DG it could work (think clothing/shoes, food/beverage/craft beer, cars). We are a small market but we are still consumers.

Can Jomez run their own tour? ... Would the pros play a Jomez tournament over a DGPT tournament? I think they would because that exposure would help them sell their discs.

Of Course they can and they should. I think the "Jomez Final 9" could have been a test run for this very reason. And the pros would not have to "choose one or the other". Both tours could be run with no conflict. And by the way..anyone think the name change to "Jomez Pro" was long term thinking on their part? ;)

Is this going to be one of those threads where we pretend that disc golf pros will make more money because more people are watching prereorded videos of them?

Those are always fun.

I think its funny that people think that for Jomez to have a tour they would have to TD the events. Steve Dodge doesn't TD every pro tour event. If something like a Jomez Tour were to happen they would most likely contact existing popular A-Tier events, that aren't on the DGPT already. The same TD that runs them now would run them on the tour and Jomez would just provide standards that each event would have to meet and then provide the media coverage. Essentially the same thing Dodge did with the DGPT. He didn't create a bunch of new events for his tour, he got a lot of existing popular events to come on board with the tour. Even when new events come on to the DGPT they are events that have been around or events created by other people with the tour in mind.

The thing that would hold back this sort of tour is added cash. If these A-Tiers aren't capable of pulling in the added cash that the DGPT and NTs then it probably wouldn't work out. Get events that can pull comparable added cash along with Jomez and CCDG and I do feel like the pros would go that way simply because this new media venture that Dodge is taking on won't have nearly the following that our other media outlets have gained over the years.

What it boils down to is Steve is starting to realize that Jussi and the DGWT weren't exactly wrong in their approach, just way ahead of their time. Steve is now trying to do exactly what Jussi was trying to accomplish. The problem the DGPT is having right now is that the events are getting a lot more views across all platforms, but with the numbers spread over multiple channels he can't take those number to potential sponsors. If he takes the info out there to a potential sponsor and they see that all of the Jomez videos have thousands more views, why would they want to invest in the pro tour? He needs those numbers to sell his tour. Is it a smart business move, in the real world, absolutely, but in disc golf, could be sketchy.

Right now I feel like disc golf may still be way too small to start burning bridges with media, manufacturers, players, and fans. Time will tell but I know a lot of people that feel like this was a huge F U to smashboxx, jomez, and ccdg and we all know that this could just as easily blow up in his face as it could be successful. While I think its a real shame what he is doing to these guys, the folks that worked to promote his brand for next to nothing, I can't hope it fails either, that would be a huge set back for the sport.