• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jomez tour

If this is the case, then I'm confused

Nate Heinold (the TD of Ledgestone and Discraft Team member) has been supportive of DGPT's decision...

There are a lot of things being said on this thread that are just not true. Also, we need to be patient and let Steve present his plan. I talked with both Steve and Terry yesterday, and while I was surprised at the Smashboxxx announcement (and a little sad), Steve has a vision and he has a done a great job with the DGPT so we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

Also, Smashboxxx isn't going anywhere. I have already been in communications with the PDGA media team and JV and Terry about Pro Worlds. I am sure they will do a great job with Pro Worlds.

Also, Jomez will be fine as well. The idea that they would create their own tour is ludicrous. The amount of work that has gone in to creating the DGPT is absolutely insane. Steve has people who do logistics, media, marketing, social media, sponsorship, etc etc etc. Jomez's core competency is filming disc golf events, not running a Tour. Yes, maybe they can find some good A Tiers that they can film, and I am sure they will. But who says they won't be filming any Pro Tour events? Even if Steve doesn't contract Jomez to film events, tournaments could still choose to hire Jomez (or CCDG) to come film their event. Yes, it may not be lead card, but Jomez isn't going anywhere. If I was a betting man I would say Jomez will be filming at Ledgestone in 2019, and maybe CCDG as well.

Also, its silly to think that Pros will not follow the money. The pros like Jomez and CCDG (and I am very fond of them myself). But right now these pros don't have luxury to play a bunch of the smaller A Tiers. For starters, there is so much more money involved with DGPT events. The entry fees are higher (and a lot of pros get their entry fees paid for) and the added cash is a lot higher. So they are going to these higher priced events with a lot of donators paying a $225 entry fee. At the smaller A Tiers, the entry fees may only be $100, and the added cash is probably only $3000 or so. They simply can't afford to play a lot of the smaller events.

Also, the idea that a bunch of other tournaments can just magically raise their added cash to a larger level is silly as well. If those tournaments could do that they would have already done that and they would have already considered trying to join the NT or the DGPT. The bottom line is, unless you spend 300+ hours running a large scale event, you probably won't be able to raise enough money to run a DGPT or NT event and you certainly won't be able to make a profit off of it. To do it right you need to put the time in, and most people (understandably so) don't have the time for it.