• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jomez tour

But if viewership is down won't sales of the pros discs be down as well?

Depends on whether people buy those discs because they see the pros on a bunch of below-Major events, such as the DGPT, or because the pros are successful at Majors. I don't know, but I suspect it's a lot more of the latter.

But if viewership is down won't sales of the pros discs be down as well?

People buy Pro's discs due to a combination of reasons.

Perceived scarcity, flipping, collectible value, unique flight/plastic, etc.

I think the media coverage is only a small part.

Climo had tons of signature discs before all of this media coverage.

Or look at Sexton and Koling for a contemporary example.

They both are top commentators and overall top ten or twenty players at most events.

But I would be willing to bet that Sexton Firebirds outsell Koling Thunderbirds at least 2 to 1.

Is that only because of media coverage?

I would think there's other factors.

Or look at Sexton and Koling for a contemporary example.

They both are top commentators and overall top ten or twenty players at most events.

But I would be willing to bet that Sexton Firebirds outsell Koling Thunderbirds at least 2 to 1.

Is that only because of media coverage?

I would think there's other factors.

I think there are two primary reasons Koling Thunderbirds don't sell as much as Sexybirds. First, they have too much competition in that slot. Thunderbirds fly similarly enough to Escapes, Teebirds & Teebird3's (just a bit longer though), Saints, and CD2's. I really like the way the Jermbirds look and thought about getting one this past year, but they're just too much like my Volts to justify it. That's not so much the case for Firebirds, which are iconic. The only things kinda like them are the Felon, FD3, and maybe the Predator for Discraft fans.

Second, a lot of people don't build their bag that way, skipping the straight-to-fade speed 9 slot altogether. They'll carry a 7-speedish fairway (like the Teebird) and then skip ahead to a Destroyer or Wraith. But even those folks usually carry a Firebird or something similar for OS utility duties.

I think there are two primary reasons Koling Thunderbirds don't sell as much as Sexybirds. First....

Sexton HAS to be way more....WAY more popular than Koling. Koling can be a beast on the course, but I've never understood any of his social media popularity. :confused:

The premise is off thinking that pros will go where there is superior media coverage.

That needs to be combined with a good payout.

The top ten guys who actually make a living off disc golf will say that they will hit the Jomez Tour, but the rest of the people are going where the money is.

I disagree. I think the modern pro priority order is Prestige of Title and Exposure over Payout.

Think about it - you could make 3-4k on average winning an A-tier or NT. You could be on a video with a dope looking signature disc, throw it well, have that clip seen >100k times in 7 days, and sell 1000 discs in the next month without winning the event.

Call it the Sexton model...

I disagree. I think the modern pro priority order is Prestige of Title and Exposure over Payout.

Think about it - you could make 3-4k on average winning an A-tier or NT. You could be on a video with a dope looking signature disc, throw it well, have that clip seen >100k times in 7 days, and sell 1000 discs in the next month without winning the event.

Call it the Sexton model...

Well I follow this logic, but my point remains:

The top ten guys are the ones who can make the decision to play other tours/events because they also usually have signature disc income.

The guys who place 11th to Last Cash generally don't have secondary signature disc income.

They are the ones who will continue to play where the best possible payout is.

Without those player's entry fees, the top ten guys won't have much to play for at the other (Jomez Pro or whatever) tournaments.

The top ten guys are the ones who can make the decision to play other tours/events because they also usually have signature disc income.

The guys who place 11th to Last Cash generally don't have secondary signature disc income.

Without those player's entry fees, the top ten guys won't have much to play for at the other (Jomez Pro or whatever) tournaments.

Don't know if that's true. People like Joel Freeman, Bobby Musick, Madison Walker, Joe Rovere etc. all have tour discs. I own three of Devan Owens' tour Rivers (and got my first ace with one :)) I'd probably get one of Madison Walker's tour discs if I threw Thunderbirds.

A lot more pros have tour series discs. I think every pro that is at the championship level at Innova has a disc. Garrett Gurthie has a signature disc with Infinite and Austin Turner has a tour disc with discraft.

If the top 10 don't show up won't viewership drop which would eventually cause the payouts to drop. Plus there will be local pros at the a tiers.

Right now I feel like disc golf may still be way too small to start burning bridges with media, manufacturers, players, and fans. Time will tell but I know a lot of people that feel like this was a huge F U to smashboxx, jomez, and ccdg and we all know that this could just as easily blow up in his face as it could be successful. While I think its a real shame what he is doing to these guys, the folks that worked to promote his brand for next to nothing, I can't hope it fails either, that would be a huge set back for the sport.

Totally agree. Steve may be going the right direction, but it makes me sad that he's not working to take everyone with him.

Try Dynamic Disc Carrollton Facebook page. They had their weekly Johnny on the Disc live show with PP, the Oakley's, and Nate Perkins in store, and some other guests via cell phone FaceTime.

Another interesting thing to know is whether or not sponsors treat DGPT events any differently than other A-Tiers on the schedule for their bonuses? I now that most sponsors pay more for NTs and Majors, but do the for DGPT. I think that would be a big part of a tour like this popping up. If DGPT is treated as any other A-Tier and someone could string together a few of the top A-Tiers that are out there that aren't part of DGPT, I definitely think the pros would go. Nearly the same payout, same bonus, possibly less competition, (Assuming attendance is split right down the middle for this argument) and more views. I find it even more likely since a few of those guys were saying that at least one manufacturer pays bonuses if you their player makes it onto Jomez or CCDG.

Another interesting thing to know is whether or not sponsors treat DGPT events any differently than other A-Tiers on the schedule for their bonuses? I now that most sponsors pay more for NTs and Majors, but do the for DGPT. I think that would be a big part of a tour like this popping up. If DGPT is treated as any other A-Tier and someone could string together a few of the top A-Tiers that are out there that aren't part of DGPT, I definitely think the pros would go. Nearly the same payout, same bonus, possibly less competition, (Assuming attendance is split right down the middle for this argument) and more views. I find it even more likely since a few of those guys were saying that at least one manufacturer pays bonuses if you their player makes it onto Jomez or CCDG.
That's a good question. Most companies probably did pay out bonuses similar to nt events because Jomez was filming them

Wasn't sure if this made more sense here or the DGPT media thread...

How many people actually pay attention to the DGPT standings? I definitely don't...

I see each event as individual with the added bonus of having the DGPT crew there so they look more "legit".

Like everybody else, I have a few players I prefer to watch over others. Typically I'll watch the card that looks most entertaining first, even if it's the chase card. More often by the time I get around to watching final round vids I've seen a spoiler of some type anyway. Jomez and CCDG both put out excellent products, yeah each has their own style but it works in my opinion. It kind of struck me as odd with the whole "do more with less" comment. I get wanting to keep expenses in check, but I felt like the comments were kind of backhanded...we think we can do better on our own for less money. Seems like a cheap shot towards somebody who helped bring extra eyes to your events.

Based on my own preferences I could definitely understand why a pro...somebody trying to make their brand seen by as many as possible...play events with maybe a smaller payout but have more people watching. If you're playing smaller events purse might be less but odds of winning might be higher, to which sponsorship bonus for wins could help close the gap.

Wasn't sure if this made more sense here or the DGPT media thread...

How many people actually pay attention to the DGPT standings? I definitely don't...

I see each event as individual with the added bonus of having the DGPT crew there so they look more "legit".

Like everybody else, I have a few players I prefer to watch over others. Typically I'll watch the card that looks most entertaining first, even if it's the chase card. More often by the time I get around to watching final round vids I've seen a spoiler of some type anyway. Jomez and CCDG both put out excellent products, yeah each has their own style but it works in my opinion. It kind of struck me as odd with the whole "do more with less" comment. I get wanting to keep expenses in check, but I felt like the comments were kind of backhanded...we think we can do better on our own for less money. Seems like a cheap shot towards somebody who helped bring extra eyes to your events.

Based on my own preferences I could definitely understand why a pro...somebody trying to make their brand seen by as many as possible...play events with maybe a smaller payout but have more people watching. If you're playing smaller events purse might be less but odds of winning might be higher, to which sponsorship bonus for wins could help close the gap.

DGPT didn't pay for Jomez or CCDG to cover their events. Both crews got outside sponsors.