• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just discovered Disc Golf, very humbled by this game

I would agree with the Leopard / Roc. But when it comes to a putter you need to hold it in your hand, talk to the guys in the store. But buy the one that feels "Right"

Then STOP buying discs. Learn the ones you have. Learn how that mold flys. Look at disc flight charts and see what might come next for you. Its hard to not go overboard buying in the beginning, then you end up with a bunch of discs that you dont understand very well.

The first thing my buddy at work told me about disc golf was "youll never talk to a guy that plays disc golf that isn't friendly. People that play are just happy guys and helpful" god he was so right . I really appreciate all the posts and advice. I'm overwhelmed. Tomorrow I'm hitting the proshop and will take their advice and refer to this thread if I need to. I find myself thinking about disc golf and watching videos all day at work.

Yeah, I'm gonna echo the advice above. I'd grab a putter (Aviar, Wizard, whatever feels good) and some mids. I would recommend a Roc and a Comet. The Buzzz is a great disc and will give you better immediate results, but it will mask flaws in your form. The Roc and Comet are great at teaching proper form.

The first thing my buddy at work told me about disc golf was "youll never talk to a guy that plays disc golf that isn't friendly. People that play are just happy guys and helpful" god he was so right . I really appreciate all the posts and advice. I'm overwhelmed. Tomorrow I'm hitting the proshop and will take their advice and refer to this thread if I need to. I find myself thinking about disc golf and watching videos all day at work.

Unfortunately you'll find a good majority are also crappy people. I've come across a good few of them.

For the advice, get some Lat64!!! You'll never look back! Seriously, get a leopard, nice feeling putter, mid probably a Buzzz and then pick up a river and play with that. Now let the addiction of buying/trading plastic begin.

we only act unfriendly on the internet :)
put a disc golfer in the sunshine and they're good.

It's been raining all day since Tuesday I am not a happy disc golfer

If u get frustrated cause you can't throw very far it'll come with time .I just used to take all my anger from everything else and put it in my throw and that worked pretty well. Good luck it's not an easy sport.

Unfortunately you'll find a good majority are also crappy people. I've come across a good few of them.

For the advice, get some Lat64!!! You'll never look back! Seriously, get a leopard, nice feeling putter, mid probably a Buzzz and then pick up a river and play with that. Now let the addiction of buying/trading plastic begin.

LOL. You say get Lat64 and then go on to suggest disc may by innova and discraft. For a Lat64 disc-which I recommend as well, go with a diamond. Love my diamond.

When you regain consciousness with your key in the door, $120 of vaguely useful premium plastic in your other hand, and the growing terror of how to explain today's purchase as necessary to the significant other, you'll know you're there. Ohhhh, 5 weeks sounds about right.

LOL. You say get Lat64 and then go on to suggest disc may by innova and discraft. For a Lat64 disc-which I recommend as well, go with a diamond. Love my diamond.

Correct, as they are a bit more forgiving. But I did also suggest a glorious River on which he should start practicing throwing. I was insinuating getting him hooked early on the Swedish plastic while allowing him some success with more beginner friendly plastic.

So I have my first official round in the books. +16/73.
Had my leopard fairway driver going 170-190 pretty straight. My short game needs alot of work. My 2 highlights were on 10&11 where both holes I had over 150 feet from basket for birdie and got my approaches to within gimme range. I putted everything out and no mulligans

So I have my first official round in the books. +16/73.
Had my leopard fairway driver going 170-190 pretty straight. My short game needs alot of work. My 2 highlights were on 10&11 where both holes I had over 150 feet from basket for birdie and got my approaches to within gimme range. I putted everything out and no mulligans

Congrats on your first official round. If you can drive 190-200 feet accurately, approach 100-150 feet, and putt well, you will play par disc golf on most courses. So, you're off to a great start. Just keep trying to stretch that driving distance out a little more, but don't lose the accuracy. If you teach ball golf, you know it does no good to drive 300 yards the wrong way.

Good luck!

stingray...
great all purpose disc.
there's a reason they have been making/using them since the late 80's.
LOL...it was a distance driver when i first picked up the game!!

I would say 85% of my drives would go straight then fade left like a banana and about 15% would go straight, then to the right, then fade left like its supposed to go. Jeez I can't stop thinking about this game!

I would say 85% of my drives would go straight then fade left like a banana and about 15% would go straight, then to the right, then fade left like its supposed to go. Jeez I can't stop thinking about this game!

welcome:)

Welcome to the sport. If you can find it or order it from your library, get the EDGE disc golf DVD. If you can't find it let me know, and I can get you a copy. It will help you learn. Like others said, there are lots of videos on Youtube that will help your game.

The best thing I know is to take your discs to an open field, and just practice, practice, practice. Also, learn to throw your putter. Learn to throw your putter at least 100ft, or further. Once you learn to throw your putter, you will learn to throw better.

Also, let me recommend a disc golf Magnet. Best putter ever

Discraft_Pro_D_Magnet_Orange_Stock.jpg

^ This guy speaks the truth, learning to throw a putter will help your game considerably. I believe many beginners get the idea that a putter is only for shots where you are taking a "putting stroke". They are the best disc to throw for upshots and even short drives, and that's because they fly the slowest and tend not to skip or roll away from the basket. Just as in golf, you wouldn't hit your 3 wood (disc golf equivalent to a driver) or 5 iron (midrange disc) from 100 yds.

200 ft. with a putter is very do-able. If you have a friend to practice with, throwing a putter back and forth is a great way to get a lot of repetitions and solidify your muscle memory (which will make your throws seem much easier on the course). Start at 20 ft. apart and work your way out as far as you can get.

I started out in June with an Omega SS 175g, Buzzz in elite Z 178g, and a Max weight Champ Boss. I've progressed pretty quickly (I'm now hitting 375-400' drives and throw my Drone/Obex when I used to throw my fairway drivers) as I've had some Ultimate playing in my background. I'd say, start of with light weight and base plastic. Don't think that you can throw those max weight, champ/opto/Elite-Z plastic warp speed drivers straight...you'll be disappointed. I know I was.

I'd suggest finding some putters that you like and learn to throw with those and a few midranges. I was using the Omega and Aviar P/a in R-pro for my first couple months and the Buzzz and Cobra as my mids. I remember when I didn't like the feel of a 13 speed driver in my hand. Now, I feel like I have to fan grip anything under a speed 9 or I'll grip lock it.

I'd stick with fairway drivers like a Teebird, Eagle, River, or Trak if you want to throw something faster. Once you can get these guys out past 300 with accuracy, you'll love what you can do with those high speed drivers (which I'd recommend in base plastic).

I got into a premium plastic kick early on, but it is really enjoyable to learn to throw base plastic and see it break in to how you like. I've got a three DX discs each of Wraiths, Destroyers, and Bosses in different weights and stages of wear. I never thought I'd have discs that would break into anny/turn discs back when I was buying premium, but with my DX discs, I get some turn/flip when I power up and get some glide as well. I'm slowly filling up my bag with Pro plastic nowadays.

It's fun to mess with different plastics and see how they affect flights, and you can do this with a mold that is offered in a companies equivalents of Star, champ, Pro, DX.

What may take a while is figuring what weight disc you are most consistent and with what kind of plastic. It wasn't until I wanted to build up a 150 class bag that I experimented with 150-170g discs. A 161g DX boss will fly very differently than a 175 champ Boss, and you may want both in your bag for the shots they provide, I know I do. If you find a mold that feels good in your hand, and that you can throw consistently, start seeing what it does in other weights and other plastics, you may not need to go crazy on the molds that you need in your bag. Some people can get away with 4 molds in their bag, but have multiples in different weights and plastics.

of course, there are those like me, who just have to buy everything new...

Have fun!

Latest posts