• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Keeping a positive attitude is just hippie malarkey

I'm not sure what's worse: Trolling a disc golf forum, or allowing yourself to be trolled on a disc golf forum.

This whole thing is ridiculous.....

Learn some neuroscience.... what you say is hippy bull**** has been 100% confirmed by this science. Thoughts cause the neurons of the brain to release emotions, neurotransmitters that can either help you focus better or distract you. These chemicals run fuel the body, might as well let them work for you instead of against you.

a trolling golfer = trolfer

do you still drink bud light? I do but only with a tailwind. I like becks beer in a headwind.

what was the question?

After years and years of this positive attitude idea that somehow a positive attitude will make everything better in your life is just not so. Stepping up behind a 30' putt and believing I can make it has zero influence on me actually making the putt.

Sure, there is a mental aspect to the game, but keeping that fluffy, feminine positive attitude isn't it. Sure, on that beautiful, sunny, no wind, perfect day, playing by yourself, no groups in front of or behind you, yes, a positive attitude will work.

But get into a dogfight on a windy, cloudy day that is cold and spitting rain, and everyone is pressuring you to hurry up, the Mary Poppins thought pattern doesn't cut it.

Keep a negative thought pattern. Create a huge bolder, and put it on your shoulder. Have an attitude. If someone says "hi", pretend they said, "you are going to fail." Have a mental attitude that really states the plastic smiles and faces of disc golf. The other players WANT you to lose.

Now, go tick them off by winning.

I'd have to agree. But don't get down on yourself about failure.

I like this thread. I have actually noticed this to be somewhat true. Don't get pissy but don't stay super happy like "oh! I'll get it next time". Just play normal.. That seems to work best.

Calling it Hippie malarkey is going farther than what I would of said. I like Hippies, they're nice & giving :p. But when its crunch time its crunch time, no time for any butterfly & rainbow s***.

Don't be cuttin' in on my dance.

Do you want to talk about false confidence or do want to talk about keeping your beer cold throughout the round?

You can actually train yourself for a more positive attitude with what neuroscientists call self directed neuroplasticity. Simply put its training of the mind and the emotions thru mental exercises like meditation and affirmations. Ive done it to get rid of mental diseases like social anxiety, depression, addictions. You can literally rewire your brain for more confidence, releasing old negative patterns and just an all around more positive attitude. Would you rather have neurotransmitters associated with fear and/or self doubt or do you want your mind to be focused and confident that you can handle the courses. Obviously you NEED to practice but if your mind is wired for more positive ways of thinking it will release more motivating neurochemicals that will energize you instead of slow you down and can even make you feel more tired.

There is a whole realm of training the mind in this area that goes back 1000s of years that holy men and warriors have been using to keep their minds sharp and tuned up like a high performance machine. You could always leave it up to the randomness of what your parents and society taught you....

Its just like lifting weights but for the brain as the brain is a muscle and a super computer in one. You might as well be the programmer of the computer by training it for better ways of thinking, emoting, perception and behavior. In 50 years time this will be standard for all professional and serious athletes as well as other people who want the highest performance of themselves. Training the mind properly is a powerful addition to training the body.

You can actually train yourself for a more positive attitude with what neuroscientists call self directed neuroplasticity. Simply put its training of the mind and the emotions thru mental exercises like meditation and affirmations. Ive done it to get rid of mental diseases like social anxiety, depression, addictions. You can literally rewire your brain for more confidence, releasing old negative patterns and just an all around more positive attitude. Would you rather have neurotransmitters associated with fear and/or self doubt or do you want your mind to be focused and confident that you can handle the courses. Obviously you NEED to practice but if your mind is wired for more positive ways of thinking it will release more motivating neurochemicals that will energize you instead of slow you down and can even make you feel more tired.

There is a whole realm of training the mind in this area that goes back 1000s of years that holy men and warriors have been using to keep their minds sharp and tuned up like a high performance machine. You could always leave it up to the randomness of what your parents and society taught you....

Its just like lifting weights but for the brain as the brain is a muscle and a super computer in one. You might as well be the programmer of the computer by training it for better ways of thinking, emoting, perception and behavior. In 50 years time this will be standard for all professional and serious athletes as well as other people who want the highest performance of themselves. Training the mind properly is a powerful addition to training the body.

Pretty much what practice does is wire the brain for whatever you are practicing. That's why quality over quantity in practice has become more common. Over training is becoming a thing of the past. PERFECT PRACTICE leads to perfect performance.

This I know for certain... You cannot let what you did on one hole affect what you do on the next hole. And that means maintaining an even strain emotionally.

Latest posts