• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Leave the course and hit the field

I was at the practice field till 1:15am Monday morning. The cops were busy with something going down a few blocks over, but I am sure if they weren't busy, they would have come and talked to me. I got a late start, I usually like to start about 8pm, but I didn't get started till 11pm. I was going to stay longer, but I felt I was already pushing my luck.

That is a good idea. I'll try that once I have more than just 3 discs.

You are right, field practice would be a little tough with just three discs...but you would get a lot of exercise. I have done some field practice several times but not on the frequency you guys are talking about. There is a course near me that has a football field right next to it. If I am playing that course then I go do some field work right after.

I just moved into a new house that is 4 houses away from a huge park. Trees, soccer fields, softball diamonds it is pretty nice. During the week in the evenings the soccer seems to be used seldomly, but the ball diamonds are always going strong.

Well long story short I went to the park for the first time tonight to work on the steps from the beato youtube flick. I have found just being able to throw in the field made me figure out how to overcome my griplock. Get control of my discs and find out what ones feel good. I am looking forward to going otu tommorow night and try it out once again.

I throw at the local middle school about 5 minutes from my house. Best place ever HUGE field on the bottom level and 40 foot up hill is another so you can ractice elevation drives if you would like. The best part is they have 9 brand new Discatchers along the permiter of the bottom field.

Since the closest course to me is at least thirty minutes away, I don't get to play that many rounds during the week so I've turned to consistent weekday practice. There is a nice park behind where I live that is the perfect size for a driving range. I will usually rest up on Monday's after playing several rounds on the weekend. I practice my mid-ranges on Tuesday's and my drivers on Thursday's. I will then practice putting on Wednesday's and Friday's. I have noticed my accuracy and distance on the course has improved tremendously since I started this routine a couple of months ago. In addition, I have learned some new throws and improved other ones that I would not have been able to execute from playing on the course.

A must to hit the fields

Like others have said, I too definately enjoy practicing my skills on a large open field. Try new techniques to improve your drives. Also a good way to releave some stress, throwing discs as hard as you can. I used to go at least 4 times a week if not more. Good lessons learned on form, technique and new discs. You just can't practice the same on a course.

I don't have the luxury of having an open field to throw at :( but the course I play at is rather vacant at times so I just sit at hole one and throw my drives over and over and over again. There are some pine trees right behind the basket I use as a backstop.

i practice at least once a week since i started playin 2-3 months ago. especially if i get a new disc, i go and check out the flight of it. i go to my high school football field which is conveniently marked already:)

Yesterday I was practicing on a nice mutl-use field, and a couple of guys were playing soccer near me as I was throwing. By the time I was done, they both were totally curious, and I took the time to show them the different discs, throws and even let them have a shot at a couple of throws. Hope to have hooked a couple more peeps...just call me the Disc Golf Pusher.

I don't have the luxury of having an open field to throw at :( but the course I play at is rather vacant at times so I just sit at hole one and throw my drives over and over and over again. There are some pine trees right behind the basket I use as a backstop.

There are no football, soccer, or baseball fields near you?

I know this will sound crazy, but if you look where high tension power lines go through, there is usually a 200ft wide area of grass where they go through. Another place to practice.

You also might want to look at "Google Earth". That is a quick way to find an open field in your area. Many Churches have open areas, and most of the time there is nobody around during the week.

Also, last week, I was taking my motorcycle around town and decided to take a road I had never been on before. I found a neighborhood that was planned but never had any houses built. Just several empty streets with huge plots of empty land, each one bigger than a football field. Its too hot to be in such an open field this time of year, but when it gets cooler, I will be out there for sure. Right now, I practice in the trees to stay out of the sun, or I practice at my lit field at night.

I know this will sound crazy, but if you look where high tension power lines go through, there is usually a 200ft wide area of grass where they go through. Another place to practice.

Good point, I've actually played a couple courses that were put in on the area beneath power lines like these. There's usually plenty of space, and you can use the towers as targets, or the holes in them as gaps to hit from various distances.

Good point, I've actually played a couple courses that were put in on the area beneath power lines like these. There's usually plenty of space, and you can use the towers as targets, or the holes in them as gaps to hit from various distances.

Bryan McClain park in San Antonio, cuts across the power lines. Look to the right and you will see one of the towers:

20081116BM31.jpg

I finally a spot that fits the criteria that I was looking for and what do you know, it's behind a middle school. I went out today and it went pretty well, except for running up on a prostitute fellating a john -I won't go into details unless someone really wants to know, haha.
I learned a little more about some of my discs, worked on my grips for putters and mids, and experimented with the wind a little bit. I was pretty surprised at how far my midranges and putters were going but I didn't really have an accurate way to measure out my throw. I'll have to see if Google Earth helps.

There is a hole in Jacksonville NC that uses those power towers for the fairway, it's 1001' long. Me, I prefer to leave the course and hit the bar.

Hole 4 at my local course (Bailey Road Park) is UNDERNEATH one of those power poles.

A little church course I played had a mando underneath a big power pole. It was a little gimmicky, but I thought it was fun.

You also might want to look at "Google Earth". That is a quick way to find an open field in your area. Many Churches have open areas, and most of the time there is nobody around during the week.

Also, last week, I was taking my motorcycle around town and decided to take a road I had never been on before. I found a neighborhood that was planned but never had any houses built. Just several empty streets with huge plots of empty land, each one bigger than a football field. Its too hot to be in such an open field this time of year, but when it gets cooler, I will be out there for sure. Right now, I practice in the trees to stay out of the sun, or I practice at my lit field at night.

i had great luck with google earth on two separate occasions. baseball fields are very easy to spot and usually have a few grouped together to cover the distance of big throws.

Latest posts