• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lets talk tournament trends

Private without a doubt. There will be some single course spots but multi-course complexes are going to be popping up more and more often. In general if you have the resources for one premium course a second does not cost much more. Baskets are going in on the second course at Raptor's Roost on Friday or Saturday.
That's very exciting. I hope they have the resources and long term thinking to include sustainability as an integral part of their projects.

I appear to be in the minority here, though. People seem to love to play five-hour rounds. :\

There are a few ways to get the most bang for your buck. Throwing more shots (shooting +20 for example) or playing longer rounds. I tend to go for the fewer strokes longer rounds approach myself.

Private without a doubt. There will be some single course spots but multi-course complexes are going to be popping up more and more often. In general if you have the resources for one premium course a second does not cost much more. Baskets are going in on the second course at Raptor's Roost on Friday or Saturday.

I must admit that I watched a video of raptors roost earlier and I wasn't too interested because it seemed to mostly use the old ball golf fairways. I've also stayed away from Lake Marshall Lions because I don't have the 400+ drive that it takes. I do like the Lair. And maybe I'll like the new Raptors Roost course. I don't mean to bash those that can throw long and enjoy that more than tight technical shot shaping and scrambling. DG needs both styles ( open and technical ) to attract the most players. Putting them together is a great trend.

I'm losing interest in watching top tier professional tournaments. It seems that the trend is to open combo golf/DG courses with hole after hole of 500-1000+ ft bombers with artificial out of bounds lines. I understand that these types of courses are much easier to film but I find this type of DG boring.

Am I not watching enough tournaments to see the full gamut, or is DG tournaments truly moving from the tight technical courses that are predominant in the east to open field bombing?

Does everyone else likes this trend?

I rarely watch dg. I just don't want to see these new trends (gimmicks) making their way to the local courses. It's just band aids for bad design.

In normal years like last year, we saw a mix of courses. I do want PT and one or two on NT to get away from truly temp courses on Traditional Golf courses so the Course for Disc Golfers is made for Disc Golf even if a temporary course, it is not on a Traditional Golf course that for 90% of the courses in the USA are flat and boring modern style. Some Highland courses and some other older up to 1919 Hill Style Golf courses would work better for Disc Golf more then the standard flat course design adopted in the late 1910's as the modern standard for USA/Canada.

Maine State added artificial OB and raised baskets everywhere. Stoooopid.

Most of those baskets were on hills to begin with so they were raised from the get go before the tournament. The OB on most stuff was for safety like going into another fairway that is tight or in one case the marsh but then a few right behind basket to me seemed unnecessary except the one with the steep sharp drop off right after basket. What was more dumb to me was the fact that too many holes were only hope and pray style scramble after the first shot no matter where you landed, they were too tough for even the top pro player to execute unless you were playing 99% to 100% perfect on the one single way the hole could be played. Sure some had holes with multiple gaps in the front 9 but after that things got tight and not in a good way but in a choke off all shots except the one line where a very very tough placement shot had to land on hill just at the exact right angle +2/-2 degrees at most or you had to beyond scramble tough for even a top level pro player. This is why you saw a few in round two Joshua Seely who was a local pro on the lead card, not sure if Jason Dore was a local or not all I know is he is from Maine or a nearby state.

I think they should open it up just to see how it goes. Call it the big bomber event. Get rid of OB and let players rip.

Not that I want DG to go this way, but more to emphasize the course strengths rather than try to make it something it is not.