• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Local course controversy

The uproar a few whackos made in Burlington VT resulted in cancellation of a disc golf course plan. Debate recapped in video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYvgbO3FgeY

"Wackos" indeed. Where did that female wacko hear that they were going to put 500 people on an 18-hole course at one time? 27 people on each card is pushing it. Clear example of lies/communication.

Bill Engvall said it best. "I just hate stupid people. They should have to wear a sign."

EDIT: I remember hearing that TG's disc golf complex in MN got shot down because locals didn't want dust from the increased traffic on the road. We're talking about dust, people, not rabbit grizzly bears!

Last edited:
"Wackos" indeed. Where did that female wacko hear that they were going to put 500 people on an 18-hole course at one time? 27 people on each card is pushing it. Clear example of lies/communication.

Bill Engvall said it best. "I just hate stupid people. They should have to wear a sign."

EDIT: I remember hearing that TG's disc golf complex in MN got shot down because locals didn't want dust from the increased traffic on the road. We're talking about dust, people, not rabbit grizzly bears!

Killer dust! Oh and Grizzlies with Rabbit ears sounds kinda cute ;)

I heard that it was a number of things. Wrong zoning, pissing off the locals with dirtbikes and atvs, not to mention the place it covered in poison ive (or oak). First I heard about dust.

I play with the course designer, Ross Brandt, every once in a while up here in the cities. He's wanted us to come down and play the course soon. From what I've heard from him is that what people are bringing up is just a bunch of non-issues.

Is that the same Ross who owned that dumb broad with this awesome comment:

"The trees that were removed at Bancroft and the trees shown on your news segment were Buckthorn trees, which under the provisions of the Shoreline Preservation Act are allowable to cut because they are invasive species that take over and replace native species. According to your film, Deb Blowers' shoreline, the women with the complaint, is in fact in violation of the Shoreline Preservation Act herself because there is a 25 foot buffer zone and hers is less than 5 feet...apparently, do as I say, not as I do is her motto. She destroyed the shoreline in my opinion and her shoreline should be reclaimed as well. Maybe an official complaint should be filed against her...it is the city code."

"The trees that were removed at Bancroft and the trees shown on your news segment were Buckthorn trees, which under the provisions of the Shoreline Preservation Act are allowable to cut because they are invasive species that take over and replace native species. According to your film, Deb Blowers' shoreline, the women with the complaint, is in fact in violation of the Shoreline Preservation Act herself because there is a 25 foot buffer zone and hers is less than 5 feet...apparently, do as I say, not as I do is her motto. She destroyed the shoreline in my opinion and her shoreline should be reclaimed as well. Maybe an official complaint should be filed against her...it is the city code."

Probably.

Was this in the news article?

Oak Island Disc Golf Course is nearing completion in Albert Lea, MN. It is currently playable. I posted these clips in the "courses in development" section, curious to your thoughts.

This is a pretty common phase for a new course to go through right? Course construction angers a neighbor and they complain about destroying natural habitat. Does it make the evening news?

Check them out:

Mon:
The Dispute

Tues:
Still a Controversy

Buckthorn trees are a destructive scourge on natural habitat. Anyone using the cutting of buckthorn as an argument against a disc golf course is ignorant and completely wrong. Tree Huggers support cutting Buckthorn and other invasive species. Period.

My guess is that it's been a slow week at the station, and they've got to find something to report about.

I was hoping it was the same southern MN news station that broadcast this gem, but alas.

538358_3223066700366_755003993_n.jpg

Same thing happened in Buffalo, NY - they went through the right channels, got their plan approved (actually were encouraged to use the land by the parks/rec. dept.) and after 1000's of hours of hard work some clown that was a Environmental studies major (not even a graduate) started crying about how it ruined the land that oh so many Hikers loved due to the "noise" it made and how it would cause erosion on the paths. Mind you Hikers and HORSE RIDERS are allowed to use the same paths with NO reciprocal argument from DG'ers. The course was going to be Chestnut Ridges "sister" course called Eternal Flame...it looked like a SICK course, and now the NRDG has to figure out a new place to put a course.

Same thing happened in Buffalo, NY - they went through the right channels, got their plan approved (actually were encouraged to use the land by the parks/rec. dept.) and after 1000's of hours of hard work some clown that was a Environmental studies major (not even a graduate) started crying about how it ruined the land that oh so many Hikers loved due to the "noise" it made and how it would cause erosion on the paths. Mind you Hikers and HORSE RIDERS are allowed to use the same paths with NO reciprocal argument from DG'ers. The course was going to be Chestnut Ridges "sister" course called Eternal Flame...it looked like a SICK course, and now the NRDG has to figure out a new place to put a course.

whoa so they canceled the Eternal Flame course? I read up on that awhile ago. Didnt hear any updates :-(

Why are people so ignorant.Its really sad that people who never stepped onto an established course or played the game can cause such grief.

..and ofcourse when they get the course taken away they probably never go to that park again.

Guys, this just exemplifies what happens when you put participants of a game that produces virtually no revenue versus a homeowner who is paying a few grand to the local coffers in property taxes. Any wretched excuse to justify their NIMBYism, no matter how ludicrous, becomes gospel. If the city was getting 50 cents a head to play the thing, I'm sure the equation would be different.

close to home

As a land use planner and civil engineer this thread hits home. It is so tough to do anything these days I am actually surprised how easy it is to put in a disc course. I suppose it comes down to planning departments picking and choosing the fights they want to make instead of just enforcing the code. I shouldn't complain though I love my local course despite the fact it is in a greenway and "habitat assessment area". Hopefully the planners continue to look the other way.

I think that it is funny how the concerned citizen is concerned about the removal of an invasive species. Also she kind of shot herself in the foot when she said that disc golfers can't hit specific lines and the very next clip is of the guy throwing a nice hyzer line landing about 12 feet from the basket. Furthermore is is ignorant to say that she doesn't have a problem with the game of disc golf, then go and complain about the golfers and the building of a course. Disc Golfers need to take a stand on this one, we need to stop being bullied. They clear massive amounts of beautiful land for hotels, businesses and ball golf courses. If she feels that strongly about the shoreline, then she needs to bring to light which animals and species are being affected and she needs to present a more evidence intensive case, rather than her personal misguided ideals. I love nature and the outdoors, so do most disc golfers.

Latest posts