• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lookig for a disc with a long hyzer finish

Swami_Maya

I am looking for a disc I can throw in tight turnover situations--mostly when I am in a awkward backhand position. I have a nice Star Rancho Roc, but swings out too much. Most of my discs need too much fairway width to flatten back out. Need a disc that will take a sharp anny then ride a long hyzer line.

Any ideas?

So you want an overstable disc that you can throw with anhyzer in low power situations that will pan/flex back out to flat and fade?

The more overstable a disc is, the faster it will come out of the anhyzer, but the more speed it will need, and the harder it will fade. If your Roc is just too slow for the shot you want, you could go with a powered down Teebird or TL. They work nicely for powered down flex shots. If you want a more overstable midrange, a Sentinel or Drone might be what you're looking for.

if you're looking for a midrange type i'd say a drone, for longer distance i'd say a predator or if you're looking for super stupid overstable try a flick. all those discs are discraft btw.

So you want an overstable disc that you can throw with anhyzer in low power situations that will pan/flex back out to flat and fade?

The more overstable a disc is, the faster it will come out of the anhyzer, but the more speed it will need, and the harder it will fade. If your Roc is just too slow for the shot you want, you could go with a powered down Teebird or TL. They work nicely for powered down flex shots. If you want a more overstable midrange, a Sentinel or Drone might be what you're looking for.

I have three teebird and a TL, and they seem to come out of the anny a little too wide. I will check out the Sentinel and the Drone. Thanks!

Depends on what kind of flight you are looking for. If you want something that will stay in the air and get more distance fading, then you need something stable to slightly understable. Overstable discs WANT to hyzer and fade into the ground. That means that while they will more easily fight out of an anhyzer and will predictably fade no matter what the wind, they will dive into the ground faster. That is their nature. An understable disc on a hyzer will maintain its fligh orientation longer, and thus will get more distance when heading in that direction. The trick of course is to make sure you have enough hyzer for it to go in that fading direction. That is the allure of an overstable disc, you do not have to be as precise and can still count on it to fade.

So, if you are looking for distance on a hyzer fade, look at stable to slightly understable drivers.

Check out the Fundamentals of Disc Golf video to see what I am talking about. It is described better than I can by Dave Feldberg.

Depends on what kind of flight you are looking for. If you want something that will stay in the air and get more distance fading, then you need something stable to slightly understable. Overstable discs WANT to hyzer and fade into the ground. That means that while they will more easily fight out of an anhyzer and will predictably fade no matter what the wind, they will dive into the ground faster. That is their nature. An understable disc on a hyzer will maintain its fligh orientation longer, and thus will get more distance when heading in that direction. The trick of course is to make sure you have enough hyzer for it to go in that fading direction. That is the allure of an overstable disc, you do not have to be as precise and can still count on it to fade.

So, if you are looking for distance on a hyzer fade, look at stable to slightly understable drivers.

Check out the Fundamentals of Disc Golf video to see what I am talking about. It is described better than I can by Dave Feldberg.

I understand the mechanics of the overstable and understable discs and flight characteristics. But, in an attempt to be more specific, I mean that when I am behind a tree right of the fairway, I can't flick my disc, but I need that rh-sidearm flight path with a backward facing rhbh throw. I need a disc I can send down the fairway in that tricky tight space. You feel me?

An Opto Trident might work for that, but I don't really know any disc that's not going to take a fair amount of room to flex out of a turnover. The Drone (FLX or Z) certainly won't. A pink Z Predator might work too depending upon the angle of turnover, but I would think you'd want a C-flying overstable disc more than an L-flight.

An Opto Trident might work for that, but I don't really know any disc that's not going to take a fair amount of room to flex out of a turnover. The Drone (FLX or Z) certainly won't. A pink Z Predator might work too depending upon the angle of turnover, but I would think you'd want a C-flying overstable disc more than an L-flight.

I am wondering if a "reverse S" flight disc would work?

This really isn't a question of a disc, but of technique.

So, do you want something that WILL fight out of an anhyzer, or WON'T fight out of an anhyzer?

It sounds like you want something that will fade right if you throw it rhbh, hence giving an rhfh flight path. Am I right, or way off?

So, do you want something that WILL fight out of an anhyzer, or WON'T fight out of an anhyzer?

It sounds like you want something that will fade right if you throw it rhbh, hence giving an rhfh flight path. Am I right, or way off?

You are right on. Exactly right.

So you just need an anny disc that doesn't s-curve too much, right? Call me crazy, but if aren't looking for a lot of distance I'd say check out a lid like a Polecat, Rattler, or Zephyr.

So, I would suggest an extremely understable disc, or get a DX disc and beat the living s*** out of it and it'll turn right. You can do that with every disc type, putters, mids, drivers. And it won't take very long at all, it'll only take 2 or 3 good tree hits and it'll be turning right really well. That's what I suggest you do, then you can keep molds you like but still have them go right, I use a beat up roc for this shot.