• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Looking for a consistent MVP/Axiom anhyzer disc

lexxerd

Bogey Member
I throw primarily LHFH and I've been throwing mostly MVP and Axiom disc recently but I haven't been able to really find a MVP or Axiom disc that can consistently hold and anhyzer line.

Any avid MVP/Axiom throwers have a go to anhyzer disc?

With enough room, I can throw a Theory high enough to hold an anhyzer line, but this is typically limited to 80-100ft, doesn't work for me off the tee. The Inspire I have had a few anhyzer lines that didn't fade, but its not consistent.

I keep a Star Sidewinder in my bag and this disc is currently my go to disc for anhyzer lines. I can throw the Sidewinder flat with enough snap that it will carry a long slow anhyzer line.

How beat up is your Sidewinder? How beat up is the Inspire? Weights on both?

Excellent question

I'm hoping that the Relay, the understable fairway driver in the MVP Circuit event, will begin to fill this gap. It's supposed to be part of a new "beginner-friendly 16 mm driver class."

I really want to like MVP discs, but right now they are not "noodle-arm friendly" enough for an old guy like me.

I ordered a 168 plasma amp for this type of stuff and tailwinds. Haven't received it yet but this disc should fit in my bag really well next to my (current favorite) 169 plasma volt. If speed 10 is OK for you then Insanity is giving pretty consistent results for a lot of people. My 175 Inspire also comes back sometimes when I don't want it to, so you are not alone.

Last edited:
Definitely the Impulse. Just adjust the amount of hyzer for going more to the right or ending up closer to center.

An Amp can also do that shot thrown flat

I had a similar problem with my N inspire when I first got it, but don't fret there is an easy fix if yours is still new(ish). Flip it upside down and scuff the top on some concrete, and it should stop fading out when released properly. Almost all discs, except for super beat up discs, will fade out if not thrown properly, but this should help some.

I used to have an inertia that flew pretty closely to my sidewinders. It was a tiny bit less stable, but not much. I dropped it as it overlapped too much with my sidewinders and I was consolidating my bag.

I had a similar problem with my N inspire when I first got it, but don't fret there is an easy fix if yours is still new(ish). Flip it upside down and scuff the top on some concrete, and it should stop fading out when released properly. Almost all discs, except for super beat up discs, will fade out if not thrown properly, but this should help some.
Mine is not what I expected. I am going to keep throwing it in the woods in hopes that it turns into what I was hoping for.

I'm hoping that the Relay, the understable fairway driver in the MVP Circuit event, will begin to fill this gap. It's supposed to be part of a new "beginner-friendly 16 mm driver class."

I really want to like MVP discs, but right now they are not "noodle-arm friendly" enough for an old guy like me.

they have MANY 150 class slower molds to choose from.

Switch, Inspire, Inertia, Impulse, Insanity all in lighter weights should hold a anhyzer just fine. I use more stable discs which hold the anhyzer angle, like a crave and volt so those naturally should work and not have to be forced over. Also fission/plasma volts or plasma amps also do this very well.

I throw the theory on very long panning anhyzers. Same with Ion, Proxy, Anode, tangent, and if I really want a long anhyzer im now throwing the 134g fission Photon.

You shouldn't be having a problem throwing the theory 200' on anhyzer lines though. 80-100 feet off the tee and it not working sounds like a form issue IMO. It goes where you throw it and glides for days doing so.

Last edited:
Well in the OP's defense he said he is throwing FH with the theory, which is very very sensitive on FHs. I occasionally use one for hard short turnovers out of the jungle, because this disc loves to turnover roll from a FH, which is awesome when you need that shot. But if you are just trying to throw flat straight FH or panning ahnys, and your form isn't clean, it will turn and burn pretty easily if you don't flick it correctly.

The Theory should easily hold an anhyzer release angle to the ground. Are you sure you're throwing it anhyzer rather than throwing it flat and trying to have it turn over?

Most every disc in MVP's line-up can hold an anhyzer release angle to the ground. Ion, Proxy, Anode, Atom, Axis, Tangent, Theory, Inspire, Switch, Crave, Amp, Impulse, Inertia, Insanity etc.

If you're ever out in SW Charlotte towards Renny, Winget, RL tc., maybe we could meet up and I could let you try different MVP discs.

I used to have an inertia that flew pretty closely to my sidewinders. It was a tiny bit less stable, but not much. I dropped it as it overlapped too much with my sidewinders and I was consolidating my bag.

That's interesting because I used to throw sidewinder a lot. Now I throw an inertia. For me it's a more reliable sidewinder. My sidewinder would get squirrly on me. The inertia doesn't unless I OAT it.

It does a nice anhyzer for me

To me there are two things here.

Throwing your Sidewinder flat and having it turn over and go right (for RHBH) is one thing. That requires an understable disc and and solid release. My Insanity, or a well worn Amp, or these other understable, and/or light weight, discs people mention would do that, although none of them is nearly as understable as a sidewinder in my experience. You wouldn't call this "Holding an Anhyzer line", this is actually having the disc change its orientation in the air based on its speed and stability.

Holding an Anhyzer line you specifically put on the disc is another thing. That requires a more neutral stable disc that just holds whatever angle you put on it. If you want it to continue on an Any line, or get more Anhyzer as it goes, a less stable disc is better. If you want it to fade out and "flex" at the end, which is usually what I'm going for with this type of shot, a more neutral stable to overstable disc, like the Volt, would work well.

People are different as to whether they prefer to force the line on it, or throw the disc flat and let the stability control the line. Depends a lot on the particular shot.

ugh

my 1776 is so pretty but I really need an under stable fairway.

I used to bag a lot of understable discs, but have found over time it's usually better to take a disc you can shape and start it off how you want it to go. Less chance of a slight breeze or minor wing angle issue burning the disc. FWIW, I haven't found a 'burner' yet in the MVP line-up, each disc has some measure of high speed control built-in, but they aren't harder to throw. Work on your wing angles on release. The lesser stable MVP discs will have reliable HSS, but will hold the turn longer than their more stable brothers. I'm not a big arm, but I can say that you will be rewarded with controllable anny's as you develop familiarity.

Latest posts