• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Looking for an MVP/Axiom roller disc

jonkimbertx

Par Member
I'm terrible at rollers and wanting to learn. I have 400+ of power but just never took the time to learn them since I throw FH as well.

Only Gyro I throw is a Resistor as a recent FAF Firebird replacement, but I tossed my buddy's inspire on an anhyzer line recently, really liked the feel and flight.

Could a 150's Inspire make for a good roller disc without needing a high power throw? If not, what are other good Gyro options?

MVP orbital. I would not recommend going to a 150 class disc though, I find heavier discs roll better. Maybe it's because they carry more momentum when impacting ground resistance. But I'm no scientist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have a Roadrunner and FD in your signature, I'd start there and see where to go after figuring out what you like or don't like about either of those. Both of those discs have a good rim shape for rollers, as in fairly blunt and symmetric. I agree with Quinntastic that heavier discs should plow through stuff better on rollers. Also cross winds demolish rollers, so another reason to stay away from super light stuff.

You have a Roadrunner and FD in your signature, I'd start there and see where to go after figuring out what you like or don't like about either of those. Both of those discs have a good rim shape for rollers, as in fairly blunt and symmetric. I agree with Quinntastic that heavier discs should plow through stuff better on rollers. Also cross winds demolish rollers, so another reason to stay away from super light stuff.

Both of those have worked ok, but I find Im not able to get a good angle without throwing pretty hard. Roadrunners are great discs but not as understand as advertised, IMHO. Good points about lighter discs tho, hadn't thought of that.

Yeah I agree with that...Roadrunners bomb but they sure aren't as flippy as the stamp says, at least in their early life cycle.

Light weight inertia is a good roller too.

The MVP signal is super flippy and has a blunter nose being a 6 speed. I roll the relay which isnt as US but if you want a disc you can throw without needing steep angle or as much power from flat the signal is a winner.

Ive rolled pretty much every 6-12 speed stable/US MVP or axiom. My personal favorite is the virus. Switch was nice too.

Signal all the way if you want something that will flip to a roll without too much effort. I've actually found it surprisingly reliable for rollers and have gotten crazy distance on the ground. This was the "ah ha" disc for me for rollers, I primarily use them for rollers up to 300' where I need to hit the ground fast. But I've had my longest "throw" ever with this disc around 500' so by no means is it not capable of long rollers.

I use anything in my bag as a roller. From ions to volts to insanity. Form and technique > disc selection.

The disc however may make it easier to do certain rollers.

I use anything in my bag as a roller. From ions to volts to insanity. Form and technique > disc selection.

The disc however may make it easier to do certain rollers.

Yea everything is rollable, but I have to say form and technique = disc selection when executing a proper roller

They are not equivalents. You might want to reconsider.

Watch any top pro throw the wrong disc for the roller they want to utilize. The entire game is 90% technique, won't argue that. In the instance of rollers though, it's an art not a science.

Watch any top pro throw the wrong disc for the roller they want to utilize. The entire game is 90% technique, won't argue that. In the instance of rollers though, it's an art not a science.

okay

Signal, Virus, and Orbital. Trifecta of Gyro-rollers. The Signal and Orbital are fantastic BH rollers off the shelf. The Virus needs minimal breaking in to get to that point. Once it does, the Virus is my favorite roller. I would only use the Orbital for rollers, the disc is ultra-flippy. That is why I don't currently bag it. For me, the Virus is my workhorse roller.

Signal, Virus, and Orbital. Trifecta of Gyro-rollers. The Signal and Orbital are fantastic BH rollers off the shelf. The Virus needs minimal breaking in to get to that point. Once it does, the Virus is my favorite roller. I would only use the Orbital for rollers, the disc is ultra-flippy. That is why I don't currently bag it. For me, the Virus is my workhorse roller.

Breaking in virus vs orbital?! Hmm..

They both fly fine in the air not just rollers. Obrital goes far.

At my level of power an Insanity fits that role. YMMV.

Breaking in virus vs orbital?! Hmm..

They both fly fine in the air not just rollers. Obrital goes far.

Blowhard. Perhaps you need to actually read what I said. For me, and again the emphasis is on me, not you or anyone else, but for me, I would only use the Orbital for rollers. If you want to use it to bail our your boat, drink your swill beer, or slap yourself, them by all means go ahead and do so. But please read the post before making comments. And yes, the Virus is a great roller, it just needs a bit of breaking in to get to the sweet spot, again for me!!