• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Losing crucial trees

If the course that gogo referred to is the one I'm thinking of, he is absolutely correct in that the local club doesn't want to do anything. It's really sad that a long-standing club has turned into a select boys club that is only interested in themselves. There is another course that is one of the oldest courses (installed in 1978) that also is a shadow of itself due to loss of trees to the borer and ice. The club doesn't want to do any renovations to this course either.

A local that is not affiliated with the club has tried to get the club's help with replacing some of the baskets that are still the same ones as were originally installed. Short answer from them was "no". This local has spent a lot of time shoring up the eroding tee pads and has installed benches on his own dime. He held a tourney a few months back to elicit some funds for replacing those baskets. We had a decent turnout but we should have had more. The local scheduled the benefit tourney to be held a weekend after the club's "ace race". Upon finalizing the benefit tourney's date, the local club rescheduled their tourney to conflict with the local's benefit tourney.

We held the tourney despite the clubs "interference". Upon trying to purchase a basket, the local had contacted a few of the club's members and was basically told that once he replaced one of the baskets, there was a high probability that the basket would be stolen. Basically inferring that the club would take the basket because they "control" what is done for the course.

In my observations, the club doesn't care for anything. Only lining the club's coffers. They were supposed to start working on installing a second 18 at "their" course last January. They have the monies for most of the baskets and from my understanding, the concrete has been donated. I don't think they have even started any clearing yet. The course was supposed to be done by now and nothing has moved.

As to forming another club, there is definitely a need for one. Unfortunately, it's been tried and the local club does anything in it's power to squash any support for another club. They also have a lot of animosity towards them from other clubs from surrounding communities. These other clubs are much, much better organizations that would be good "parent" clubs for a fledgling startup club. However, those clubs don't want to get involved. From what I've heard though, there is growing dissension within the club so hopefully there will be a regime change sometime in the near future.

If the course that gogo referred to is the one I'm thinking of, he is absolutely correct in that the local club doesn't want to do anything. It's really sad that a long-standing club has turned into a select boys club that is only interested in themselves. There is another course that is one of the oldest courses (installed in 1978) that also is a shadow of itself due to loss of trees to the borer and ice. The club doesn't want to do any renovations to this course either.

A local that is not affiliated with the club has tried to get the club's help with replacing some of the baskets that are still the same ones as were originally installed. Short answer from them was "no". This local has spent a lot of time shoring up the eroding tee pads and has installed benches on his own dime. He held a tourney a few months back to elicit some funds for replacing those baskets. We had a decent turnout but we should have had more. The local scheduled the benefit tourney to be held a weekend after the club's "ace race". Upon finalizing the benefit tourney's date, the local club rescheduled their tourney to conflict with the local's benefit tourney.

We held the tourney despite the clubs "interference". Upon trying to purchase a basket, the local had contacted a few of the club's members and was basically told that once he replaced one of the baskets, there was a high probability that the basket would be stolen. Basically inferring that the club would take the basket because they "control" what is done for the course.

In my observations, the club doesn't care for anything. Only lining the club's coffers. They were supposed to start working on installing a second 18 at "their" course last January. They have the monies for most of the baskets and from my understanding, the concrete has been donated. I don't think they have even started any clearing yet. The course was supposed to be done by now and nothing has moved.

As to forming another club, there is definitely a need for one. Unfortunately, it's been tried and the local club does anything in it's power to squash any support for another club. They also have a lot of animosity towards them from other clubs from surrounding communities. These other clubs are much, much better organizations that would be good "parent" clubs for a fledgling startup club. However, those clubs don't want to get involved. From what I've heard though, there is growing dissension within the club so hopefully there will be a regime change sometime in the near future.

That sounds terrible. Perhaps the funds could be anonymously donated to the park's municipality. The new baskets would then appear to be coming from public funds and the local club wouldn't feel the need to steal the baskets.

I agree with the other posters, but I'd try to make it look nicer than just a 4x4 stuck in the ground. Maybe make a fence or lattice in front of the new tree and add a mando to the right or left? It will protect the tree better and add more difficulty.

Griggs Reservoir, a local course for me, lost a bunch of ash trees a few years ago. I wish they would do something like that to make the course more challenging again.
LOL, I'm glad I re-read what I quoted before hitting post! Originally I thought you were talking about the course up at Alum Reservoir, and was wondering why you'd want more trees planted there. Even with what's been chopped down most of the holes on Alum are plenty tough. Griggs on the other hand...

A well seated 4x4 (or maybe a railroad tie) seems like a good solution. As others have said, getting a sapling to grow in the same spot as the previous tree may be harder than it would seem.

Last edited:

Latest posts