• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Losing interest

Try playing rounds throwing only your weakest shots. For instance, in my case I would throw all forehands, overhands, and rollers. This makes it feel brand new again. Learning is fun. This could break the spell....this and bug spray.
Also, I agree that solo morning rounds can be inspiring. Catch a sunrise. Take it all in. Be one with the disc.

Been kinda feeling the same way lately, course is getting "boring". I'm throwing around the idea of dumping all of my "go-to" discs into the back of my Jeep and filling my bag with the discs that I have that I don't ever throw. Try to see if I can score close to what I do now. Just an Idea. Maybe all DX discs, or all midrange and putters, no drivers. Or an entire round over hand, thumbers and tommies.

EDIT......
Didn't read Broken Shoulder's post when I wrote that

:hfive:

From the way you describe it Grunge, I'm wondering if it's more you're burnt out on the sport, or you simply don't have enough free time? Let me put it this way. If you had plenty of free time to waste, would you still be playing? Someone I considered a very wise man once said to me, "There is no such thing as being too busy, there are only priorities." I thought this to be a very deep comment; and helpful. And if the issue is that you just have alot of stuff going on in your life that takes precedence over disc golf, then there are things you'd need to work out that I don't think any of us are qualified to really help with. Either way, good luck and do what makes you happy.

Enough of this new age horse****. Man up and get yer ass out there and throw. You will survive children, and play disc golf for most of your entire life. I know it sucks up north in the winter. I grew up in Illinois, and lived in Michigan for 15 years. I miss skiing more than I miss winter disc golf, although we did bundle and throw in it once in awhile. There are other activities available for off season like bowling. I know alot of us are fanatical about our beloved sport, but it doesn't have to be the only thing. I always say DG for the body, MTG for the brain.

I just looked at the calendar. Spring league ended May 6. We had to drop that week so the last time I threw was April 29th. I managed to go a month in perfectly good weather without throwing once. I didn't really notice; I play when I can and a lot of the time I have other things going on. It's no big thing; disc golf is just a hobby so if I get worse and it I get worse. The bag and discs are still there. I'm sure I'll get around to throwing again someday.

I've got a Champ Polecat in the basement; I was super excited to get that. Never have gotten around to throwing it. Maybe tomorrow I'll get up early and throw that thing at some trees.

I just disappear for 3-5 days backpacking in Colorado, take one disc and play object golf at 12,000 feet to the next valley, tree or whatever. Makes a decent dinner dish also.....

Sometimes we get too wound up in the game itself and forget the reasons we love the game.

thats what has happened to me lately. after my trip to kansas city, and in between jobs ive been playing way too much. and am so burnt out. i didnt park the hole?! ****. i missed the putt ****! not an ace on a 175ft hole ****!! upshot wasnt within 15ft ****!!!!!!!

seriously thats how i was playing today.

im taking a break this thread convinced me. probably only 3 days haha but still i forgot why i do this. it seemed more like a chore. i forgot it was supposed to be fun

It works, honestly. We didn't have any workdays under 12 hours this week. Haven't played since Monday. When I get out to the course today I'll feel fresh and I'll be killin' it. I like playing.g at my best and sometimes that requires a break. Sucks going from daily play to once or twice a week, but I'm glad I practiced so much last fall through winter and spring because now I can pick it up whenever and know I'll be throwing well.

What AIM said. Get out early (like 7am) on a Saturday or Sunday morning, and throw a couple solo rounds by yourself. Enjoy the nature, unwind, throw 15 shots on one hole if you want, putt 10 times, just sit on a bench at hole 12 and listen to it all...just you and the course. While I enjoy tournaments and playing in groups...honestly my favorite rounds are the ones I described above. Nobody pushing you, barely keeping score (if at all)...just chuckin' plastic. Wooded pitch n putt courses are perfect.

I'm pretty sure I'll be doing that this weekend.

Sounds exactly like me. I'd say we should meet up and play Stardoggy but that would be going against your main point!

old thread..but i feel this way now...my throws are fine consistent accurate long...and it is boring....i like playing...I find I like showing off and decided that was lame....i find alot of weird people, tattoed..pudgy..pulling carts high to be annoying..and i dont want to play with them or see them..i was obsessed with my destroyers...i am not anymore...I can play fine with almost anything...but am bored after 4 holes now and usualy go in....i go the skateparks instead...but same deal when the criowds come i go....i sound like a grump but i miss really liking disc golf and new discs

old thread..but i feel this way now...my throws are fine consistent accurate long...and it is boring....i like playing...I find I like showing off and decided that was lame....i find alot of weird people, tattoed..pudgy..pulling carts high to be annoying..and i dont want to play with them or see them..i was obsessed with my destroyers...i am not anymore...I can play fine with almost anything...but am bored after 4 holes now and usualy go in....i go the skateparks instead...but same deal when the criowds come i go....i sound like a grump but i miss really liking disc golf and new discs

So many things are like this. Once you know how it ends there's no mystery to it. All I know is take a pause and think about what pursuits have a long arc. I started disc golf in the early 80s and was very casual. When I went off to school, there was no park or place to play. I kept a few discs, but directed my need/enthusiasm for the outdoors into backpacking. That was good as there are all sorts of beautiful places you can't get to in a car. I've done that until I've become ragged, but I still love to get out. The last 15 years it has been a street dog that adopted me, so instead of backpacking, I would take her out on weekend hikes or beach—no 70 lb. packs. Now I come back around to disc golf. It's a nice walk, stretching, body mechanics—plus 40 years of disc/play evolution and the internet.

My point to this ramble is that it is being outside that is the thing. That's primal. Walking on a trail is primal and good for the head. Maybe you don't have to throw a plastic disc to get out. Maybe the constraints of a disc golf park are too limited. Try some weekend hikes. You've got trails, maps, a little food planning—stuff to do to get ready. Take some pictures. After a while you'll learn all the local trails in a 30 minute to hour area around where you live and that will get a bit boring. Maybe back to the disc golf then...

What I used to LOVE about disc golf was the proletariat vibe—no green fees! What I don't care much for now is the league play with the money and competition. It's kinda like the disc golf is a mechanism for small-time betting. Not my bag. Don't let it become an obligation, and don't give up the greatness of getting out. There's always a way until there isn't!

when i saw the age of the OP, i was hoping the bump would be an update from him. it would be interesting to see what happened. maybe i'll look up his posting history, but i'm kinda lazy...

this whole thread is interesting. all hobbies have a way of getting stale, and sometimes they stay stale and you move on. other times, a short break or a change of pace is all it takes to reenergize.

EDIT:

found this as grungedude42's last post, from 2015. i'm guessing he moved on:

I took a big break over most of last year. Only played my club's end of year tourney, and maybe ten casual rounds, tops. I was on my favorite local course to work on it more often than play on it. I might play more this year, but honestly, disc golf is becoming a thing which is less important in my life. And that's ok, because it's just a game.

Last edited:
I went an eight-year stretch where the closest course to me was over an hour away. Most of my "disc golf" time was field work, object golf or moving a Ching Skillshot around the woods pretending to play disc golf; I made the actual drive to a course a 1/2 dozen times a year. My kids were little, I didn't have disposable cash and time to go play in events, and it was mostly just me making the neighbors wonder what in the Hell it was that I was doing. In a way it was calming but in other ways isolating. Somewhere during that stretch I remember thinking "I'm either a disc golfer and I keep going, or I'm not really a disc golfer and I should admit that this is dumb and go bowling". :|

This is just who I am, man. This is just what I do. Sometimes it's a blast. Sometimes it's drudgery and I'd rather sleep in. That's life. Get out of bed, grab a Roc and throw it into trees until it gets better.

It always gets better eventually.

I'm on a "just had surgery" break; I'm going crazy walking the dog for exercise. She's a great dog and all, but I need to get back to testing the resonate properties of the oak tree that is first available off hole four.

I find it pretty frustrating at times.

Leagues and Tournaments interest me, but work doesn't let me play any leagues and I don't have the commitment level to build my life around tracking and signing up for tournaments that are months out.

I've also gotten to the point where I can land a disc in a general area pretty consistently, so I'm taking a lot of pars, but I don't really have a chance to improve my scoring without finding a lot of distance. It is frustrating to know that I'm pushing accurate drives longer and have improved my putting, but it rarely translates into an improved score. It is a grind when your target score on a course is +3, but you've literally never gotten a birdie on that course.

And the courses are super crowded and swampy after rains and it is a chore to avoid all the tournaments and leagues and bag tag rounds and so forth. So I'm playing at like 7 AM, so I never really get to sleep in after a really draining work week. Etc, etc, etc.

I find it pretty frustrating at times.

Leagues and Tournaments interest me, but work doesn't let me play any leagues and I don't have the commitment level to build my life around tracking and signing up for tournaments that are months out.

I've also gotten to the point where I can land a disc in a general area pretty consistently, so I'm taking a lot of pars, but I don't really have a chance to improve my scoring without finding a lot of distance. It is frustrating to know that I'm pushing accurate drives longer and have improved my putting, but it rarely translates into an improved score. It is a grind when your target score on a course is +3, but you've literally never gotten a birdie on that course.

And the courses are super crowded and swampy after rains and it is a chore to avoid all the tournaments and leagues and bag tag rounds and so forth. So I'm playing at like 7 AM, so I never really get to sleep in after a really draining work week. Etc, etc, etc.

Playing with those who are better than you, will help you improve your game. You can more easily find those folks at leagues and tournaments.

You need to have some fun out there it sounds like. F the events and do YOU. Good luck man.

^^^
PRECISELY!!

When my game began to decline due to age and injuries I stopped keeping score and started playing alone more. I play happier but I suck more. Probably because of the lack of competition. And I'll admit that I sometimes miss the social aspect.

What is boring you about it?

My suggestion would be to find the fun again. Instead of "yeah, this round is just like the round before it - same old, same old", try challenging yourself.

Next time you play, make every tee shot a roller. Doesn't matter if the hole is set up for a roller....do it anyways. You'll learn how to throw different rollers shapes, how to scramble from bad spots, etc. Or throw overhands, or every putt has to be a scoober.... Tee off with a putter and put with a driver. Now you've changed things up - not only should it help defeat the 'same old same old', it will help make you a better player as you are being force to work on different shots.

There are some people (like me) who like GETTING good at things, but don't necessarily like BEING good at things. At the point I get good at something enough to be "automatic", it gets boring. So far, it's actually one of the things I like a lot about disc golf...there's always some new, weird, hard line to take on a hole. Or some new way to throw a disc.

Well, so far I haven't managed to hit a 1050 rating and haven't won any world titles or major events so I'd say I can probably entertain myself and work on improving my game for quite a long time. Plus, it's about the only exercise I get these days as most of my other hobbies don't require much physical effort on my end.

Latest posts