• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost Disc - Your opinion

What do you do when you find a disc that has been marked with name/contact info?

• Return it

Votes: 208 86.3%
  • Keep it

Votes: 33 13.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The point of bringing up the 3 minute rule is that a lot of discs are lost in a tournament and the search is forced to be abandoned after 3 minutes. So when you find [and take] that disc later, it may not be that the person who lost it gave up looking by choice.

How about when there isn't a tourney going on?

WOW! I did not expect for this thread to be as active as it has been. I think I have found out what I was looking for, for the most part as a group we try to do the right thing.

I will make an effort to return the disc. I will try whatever contact info they have on the back a couple of times. If I cannot reach them or they do not call back, than it goes in a pile that I will give to new people playing the sport. Seriously, what am I going to do with it? I already have all of what I throw, and several extra for when it gets misplaced. I did say misplaced because technically it is still mine, as long it is marked properly. Now this statement is based off of the State law where I live and I understand that some people could care less about state law or doing the right thing.

I think it is a positive thing when I am introducing a new person to the sport and they ask, "why do you have your information on the back?". It is a nice thing to be able to say, "when the next dgolfer finds it, he/she will call".

Thanks for all of your input on this. For those of you who try to return discs, thank you. For those who dont, maybe you should try it.

the only time you will get your disc back is if you are playing a nice course. a country club type where everyone has respect for peoples property. but if your on a neighborhood course with people who bring 1-3 discs for the sake of boredom then you have 0 chance of getting it back

I've NEVER had a disc returned to me. Out of all the discs I have found, only two had numbers, one guy told me to keep it because he was two states over wondering how it ended up so far away and the other disc had a phone number that was out of service. So I honestly feel that it's a waste of time. Picking up a disc requires you to commit to learning a new disc, which my bag does not have the room for, and I do not have the patience to learn some (most likely) crap disc. Someone taking your disc is the same, either they are willing to learn your disc or are beginners and don't know that they likely inherited something that they wont know how to use. Yet the only problem with not picking it up is that some jerk is going to steal it. So I say just leave it at the kiosk where a jerk will at least be forced to steal it in public.

Don't mean to add more fuel to the discussion about lost discs not being returned.

It reminded me of couple years ago when someone pointed out that a group of brothers who lives nearby DG course going for scuba diving to gather all the lost discs and sells them. It leads those brothers into a new established ebay business called LSDisc Plastic http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=aspentopeka

I will never buy anything from LSDisc due to their past history of finding/stealing and reselling golf balls and discs as well. They are not really disc golfers but only people who sells "hot" discs in the back of the van.

This is the only thing that irks me about it...:mad:

I do dive for my discs and other discs and always tries to return the discs to the rightful owners with no cost at all. I do post the lost discs at my local DG forum and have them contact me if they want it back. Those unclaimed discs (unmarked or invalid info), I either give them to the local club or give it to the newbies.

;)

It reminded me of couple years ago when someone pointed out that a group of brothers who lives nearby DG course going for scuba diving to gather all the lost discs and sells them.

What do you mean by a "group of brothers"?

What would you rather they have done, leave the discs in the lake so the plastic could break down and contaminate the environment?

I had a two guys following a buddy and I as they tried to get to my disc before me. I call these guys vultures because they are ugly people who try to take what is not rightfully theirs. I never found my disc but know those two did. The worst part, they had no discs, a pitbull, and were doing drug deals while on the phone. It is people like this that give discgolfers a bad name.

Whatever!!!

Ok here ya go....

Played in a Toys for Tots tourney on saturday, 18 holes and 9 alternates for a total of 27. After the tourney was over I decided to be a nice guy and get in the creek and retrieve several discs that were lost by various players. Now mind you I live in Idaho and that day was around 40 degrees f. The creek was needless to say very cold. So went back to the tables where registration was and layed out the discs and got ROBBED. People were just grabbing the discs off the table and walking off, except for a very few gracious individuals that at least said thank you. Most of the players viewed me as some sort of villain. Oh and let me tell you most of the discs I found were "second hand" (covered ink etc.) I did find one that was a no namer, the last one I found. So I had 2 discs left after getting mauled by the crowd, a named disc and a no namer, and gave them both to Steve-o (the guy that ran the tourney), so he could see if anyone had lost either of them when we went to the awards ceremony and as he walked away with his partner, they both had a good laugh and said the name of the unmarked disc out loud to his partner and showed it to him. Was I an idiot for giving it to him??? maybe I was. So he put those two discs on the table in front of the bar the awards ceremony was for some time (it was gone already when I arrived), then he took the no named disc out the back door to keep for himself (I know this because a friend of mine had arrived earlier and saw him take it. When I asked if he had found the owner, he lied and said someone must have taken the disc off the table. Now this is supposed to be a upstanding individual who also ALWAYS PREACHES TO EVERYONE THAT YOU SHOULD ALWAYS RETURN DISCS TO THE OWNER. Now my issue here is that I went in and got wet to retrieve discs and just be a cool guy and I get completely SCREWED in the process. Oh and I have found several of Steve-o's discs and returned them in the past.

ITS ALL BS

If you lose a disc in water and walk away, you also walk away from owning that disc IMO... If it aint worth getting wet, dont whine when someone else does get wet to get it.. five bucks finders fee or go buy another 18 dollar star disc...

I not suprised by new players with little plastic keeping discs, I'm shocked at decent players with plenty keeping em. WTF ?

the only time you will get your disc back is if you are playing a nice course. a country club type where everyone has respect for peoples property. but if your on a neighborhood course with people who bring 1-3 discs for the sake of boredom then you have 0 chance of getting it back

I agree. Only calls I've recieved are from nice courses.

So you're the one that took the idisc handle :)

Man, that is an unfortunate display of people being people. If you are going in there at least a thank you should be in order and if nothing else, you should have had dibs on the unnamed.

I actually stopped marking my number on my discs and just right my name. Going to start to take it off of the ones I have marked. I just dont think it is worth it for others to bother to get them back to me at this point. I have plenty; but I still will return any I find that are marked.

get your finders fee now...im with ya

The rule at my home coarse is to drop it off at the park office on the way out. They have a bin with found discs that you can dig through. I have enough discs so I never keep them. I may try it out for a few holes.
If they just have a name and no number I give them to Noobs using a Frisbee, or some little kids. It makes their day and premotes the game and sportsmanship.
I don't mark my discs just weight, if I lose it. Consider it a gift from the Disc Golf Gods, today is your lucky day. At least you know what weight you got and don't have to guess. Then I go home and complain to my wife that I lost my best disc today. Giving me an excuse to buy newer improved plastic or something else I want, but don't really need. Yes, I know I'm a disc glutton/junkie. Wow, I'm feeling the greed just talking about it.:eek:

Before I turned into a more frequent discer, I would have been super excited. Now I want to rep the sport well and make sure to call.

i call and they normally come and get them i won't go out of my way to return it you got to come to me and one guy said to just keep it your a d8ck if you dont try

it is a JOE SCHMOE with just a number on it then i keep it and color over the number. im sorry to any of you that think what i do is wrong. nobody would return a star destroyer to me. but if a pdga number is on it then i will return it if they come to me

And this makes you a douchebag on two different levels. Glad i don't play in your town.

It doesn't matter if it has a pdga number on it. It's not your disc. If you found someones wallet would you just take their stuff out, throw it away and keep it? Just because you don't get yours back, doesn't make it right. I have lost several and not gotten them back. I can't justify it to myself that I deserve to keep what's not mine because I didn't get mine back.

Status
Not open for further replies.