• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] low-profile driving/approaching putter for headwind

krooster

Birdie Member
Currently I use Pures for all putts, approaches, and short drives. What would be a good overstable compliment for headwind approaches and drives? Sometimes I disc up to a Wasp in a strong wind but for some reason that feels awkward.

Needs to have a low profile. Would the Zone be a good fit?

Try a pig, it's a little more workable than a zone.

First two posts are accurate. Zone is more overstable than the pig which is still quite overstable. Pick them up and check them out. A prodiscus Jokeri is a good call as well.

Breaker from DGA is a really great os putter. In switching from a kc aviar to a breaker for drives/approaches i noticed a huge difference between the two depths. ive never thrown a zone so i can't recommend them, but if my memory serves me correctly, the zone has no bead and the breaker for sure does.

Yes but of course you will have to account for it being very OS.

I love the Zone for wind, forehands, skip shots, spike approaches, flex shots, putts around objects where I need a big fade.

Not only does it sound like what you are looking for but the Zone is just a great disc to have in your bag in general.

I use a max weight Rhyno for head/side wind shots. For low ceilings I've been throwing a soft Challenger but I'm thinking about trying a super soft Omega in hopes that the misses don't skip, bounce and or roll into the next county. :wall:

Latitude 64 Sinus. It's has a shallow rim (low profile), flat top, and is great into the wind. Very predictable.

Latitude 64 Sinus. It's has a shallow rim (low profile), flat top, and is great into the wind. Very predictable.

agreed with this. The zone is great too but I have found the sinus is better for actually putting with and also windy approaches.

I would recommend the Harp. I recently got one, and it's like a better zone for me. It's just as stable and seems to have a bit more glide, and best of all (for putting and upshots) the soft plastic grabs the chains better than ESP/Z and doesn't skip nearly as much.

truthfully i see no need for anything between my wizard and zone, but you may benefit from something more workably OS since you're throwing a pure, perhaps the breaker or jokeri or sinus. that way you don't *have* to go left right away if you don't want to. you can actually utilize the headwind instead of defeating it unless you really want to.

truthfully i see no need for anything between my wizard and zone, but you may benefit from something more workably OS since you're throwing a pure, perhaps the breaker or jokeri or sinus. that way you don't *have* to go left right away if you don't want to. you can actually utilize the headwind instead of defeating it unless you really want to.

I've been using an Opto Pure for that slot, with a ZeroHard Pure for when there's no wind. They're fairly close in stability, but the Opto Pure is a bit more stable and can handle a small amount of wind. Not sure if it sits nicely halfway between the ZeroHard Pure and Zone though.

Guess I'll pick up a Zone and play with those three for awhile and see if there's too much of a gap between the Opto Pure and the Zone. But from looking at the Inbounds flight chart, the Zone is either about as stable or only a bit more stable than discs like the Jokeri, Sinus, and Breaker.

This is where I think the Hydra is so underrated. It has an awesome grip and is lower profile than an Aviar and eats through headwinds. I use nothing else for putting because it is so consistent in any condition: calm, windy, cold, wet, etc. In my opinion it is the most underrated disc Innova ever made.

The zone is an awesome disc for sure - I ripped one on a drive today and got a 15 ft skip on wet ground. True story.

For something a little less overstable and less skippy, I recommend a rhyno. Low profile, very little glide, very high HSS, less fade and little chance of rollaway.