• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Madison to Charlotte

roggenb3

* Ace Member *
On Thursday night I am leaving Madison to visit my friend who lives by Charlotte. Obviously, I plan to disc some in the Charlotte area, but since my buddy doesn't really play, the majority of my disc will be on the way there and back.

So what to do? I've already played Harmon, Idlewild, and Sugaree which I think are the 3 biggest "destination" type courses that are at least kind of between Madison and Charlotte.

I am not opposed to driving well out of my way. For example, I am thinking about just going S until Memphis and then E all the way through TN. Or if there was a reason I would go E until like Pittsburgh and then head S.

So, what are your favorite courses in that roughly square shape defined by Madison, Pittsburgh, Memphis, and Charlotte?

Should I just book it to Charlotte and mainly play there? Really looking for those 3-4 rated courses that I won't find on a Top## List, but are actually great. I love a challenge (which is why I am likely going to play Sugaree again), but high fun factor or just really picturesque is also enough for me to stop.

Any other non-disc recommendations are welcome as well. I also dabble in urban exploring, so if you know of any ghost towns, or old creepy abandoned buildings, that info would be appreciated as well.

Ashe County is one of my favorites. Same general area as Sugaree, so it may be bunching courses in one part of your drive.

As great as Charlotte is, if it were me I'd definitely play the courses along your route, rather than more Charlotte courses.

The sleeper is in Rock Hill, just south of Charlotte. It's Camp Canaan, a private course with limited hours (so it may not be feasible for you). It is, after an initial visit, my #1 favorite course.

Perhaps not quite what you're asking for, but Cataloochie Valley (sp?) in the Smoky Mountains is an old community where the people were moved out when the park was built, and the park service maintains a scattering of buildings in the valley. Some houses, barns, a church, and a school, some of which you can enter. It's a gorgeous place, out-of-the-way, but not very urban.

In addition to Ashe Co. the North Wilkesboro trio really gives you three good to great courses right next to each other. Rolling Pines is one of the best new courses in NC and Ft. Hamby is beautiful, technical NC DC. But you could just as easily hit the Charlotte heavy hitters and have a good time as well.

I ain't much on the ghost town knowledge. The only place I can think of is Soul City which is near I-85, close to the VA border but it's in the middle of nowhere, especially DG-wise.

Four years ago I took a week long bagging trip to Charlotte to check out the "Mecca". While I really enjoyed the courses in Charlotte, my favorite days of the trip were the days outside of the area. Ashe County and Sugaree was the best day of golf. The killer and the funhouse! The South Carolina day that ended with Stoney Hill was a very close second, and SH was my fourth course of the day. Just a wonderful course.

Paw Paw, WV
Black Course, WV
Orange Crush, WV
Walnut Creek, VA
Mountain Lake, VA
Greenfield, VA
Deep Creek Dreams, NC

Ashe County is one of my favorites. Same general area as Sugaree, so it may be bunching courses in one part of your drive.

As great as Charlotte is, if it were me I'd definitely play the courses along your route, rather than more Charlotte courses.

The sleeper is in Rock Hill, just south of Charlotte. It's Camp Canaan, a private course with limited hours (so it may not be feasible for you). It is, after an initial visit, my #1 favorite course.

Perhaps not quite what you're asking for, but Cataloochie Valley (sp?) in the Smoky Mountains is an old community where the people were moved out when the park was built, and the park service maintains a scattering of buildings in the valley. Some houses, barns, a church, and a school, some of which you can enter. It's a gorgeous place, out-of-the-way, but not very urban.

You were close - it's Cataloochee. And yes, that's great - urbex is sometimes not so urban. Most of my exploring has been like this, old abandoned mills and farmhouses; the kind of thing prevalent in SE WI.

Camp Caanan does look dope. And it may be doable since I should be in the area on Sun and they are only open on weekends. We will see.

I ain't much on the ghost town knowledge. The only place I can think of is Soul City which is near I-85, close to the VA border but it's in the middle of nowhere, especially DG-wise.

Looks pretty cool. If I decide to come to NC from the N I will definitely at least drive through and see what's up. Looks like a few abandoned things on Google Maps.

What's hip and happening between Charlotte and the ocean?

My friends that have lived near Charlotte for almost 6 years now have still never driven to the ocean, so I may force that upon them when I am there.

Anything cool disc golf or otherwise on the way?

Well, the Outer Banks are cool, but that's a long haul. I haven't been to Wilmington in a long time, and never to Castle Hayne course, but I remember it as a historic old town with a cool waterfront, and the course is highly thought of.

You were close - it's Cataloochee. And yes, that's great - urbex is sometimes not so urban. Most of my exploring has been like this, old abandoned mills and farmhouses; the kind of thing prevalent in SE WI.

It's close to the interstate, but unless things have changed, it's also a 7-mile creep up and over the mountains on a gravel road, so it's never crowded. Past the ranger station there are no powerlines or other signs of the last hundred years.....except a few cars. If you're lucky, one of them is yours.

Rolling Pines in Wilkesboro is the best course I've played. If you are coming through Winston Salem, play Horizons Park. It's too short and too easy because it's the oldest DG course in North Carolina. You can get through it in an hour or so, time well-spent for a little piece of history. I just played it recently for the first time and it's in great shape. We had fun there! Deep Creek Dreams in Burlington is pretty amazing. It's private but you can call the owner and get on easily, especially during the week. Enjoy your trip!

Might just have to hit up Rolling Pines. It looks awesome. And Moravian Falls looks to be a nice little nature/waterfall area right on the way from Charlotte.

Who's got Western TN suggestions?

When I road trip I leave at like 7-8pm and drive straight to morning, preferably ending at a nice course for a sunrise round. So If I go S first (which I am leaning towards bc I have driven the area N of NC many times, but never been through that part of TN), I'd be right around the Memphis/Jackson area at daybreak.

Last edited:
What's hip and happening between Charlotte and the ocean?

My friends that have lived near Charlotte for almost 6 years now have still never driven to the ocean, so I may force that upon them when I am there.

Anything cool disc golf or otherwise on the way?

Not much. If you detour along 27 instead of hitting 74 right away you can hit Fox Chase (really good course, very pretty) and the improved City Lake Park in Albemarle. Then there's Village at Pinehurst which is a really good course, good challenge. You'd drive through Uwharrie National Forest which is really pretty. Then it's a disc desert. Arnett and Mazarick in Fayetteville are decently fun but not road trip destination worthy, unless you want to visit the many seedy strip clubs, pawn shops and used car dealerships of Fayette-Nam (military base). If you take the quick route to the beach, 74, you'll go through Lumberton which has a rep for being a sketchy town but their disc golf course is purportedly pretty decent (has a lot of water carries).

Wilmington is a fun little city. Castle Hayne is a great course (can be crowded) and Joe Eakes in Kure Beach is a unique, fun course. There's a microbrewery near Joe Eakes that has a tiki course on site also (Flytrap Brewery I think). There's plenty of non-DG stuff to do in Wilmington, with the battleship, screen gems movie studio, nearby beach towns, etc.

On Thursday night I am leaving Madison to visit my friend who lives by Charlotte. Obviously, I plan to disc some in the Charlotte area, but since my buddy doesn't really play, the majority of my disc will be on the way there and back.

So what to do? I've already played Harmon, Idlewild, and Sugaree which I think are the 3 biggest "destination" type courses that are at least kind of between Madison and Charlotte.

I am not opposed to driving well out of my way. For example, I am thinking about just going S until Memphis and then E all the way through TN. Or if there was a reason I would go E until like Pittsburgh and then head S.

So, what are your favorite courses in that roughly square shape defined by Madison, Pittsburgh, Memphis, and Charlotte?

Should I just book it to Charlotte and mainly play there? Really looking for those 3-4 rated courses that I won't find on a Top## List, but are actually great. I love a challenge (which is why I am likely going to play Sugaree again), but high fun factor or just really picturesque is also enough for me to stop.

Any other non-disc recommendations are welcome as well. I also dabble in urban exploring, so if you know of any ghost towns, or old creepy abandoned buildings, that info would be appreciated as well.

Might be a little of a sidetrack since I don't know exactly which way you are coming and going but lets just say you planned on hitting up pittsburg on the way home. Head east out of charlotte and hop on I95north till you hit Delaware and play Iron Hill after you can backtrack 95 into Baltimore and then take I70 to Pittsburg.

Last edited:
Might be a little of a sidetrack since I don't know exactly which way you are coming and going but lets just say you planned on hitting up pittsburg on the way home. Head east out of charlotte and hop on I95north till you hit Delaware and play Iron Hill after you can backtrack 95 into Baltimore and then take I70 to Pittsburg.

I will probably come back that way, and Iron hill is definitely on my radar. I mean to play it a couple years ago when I was in the area, but skipped it due to time constraints.

Nashville has Cedar Hill & Seven Oaks, & Sharp Springs in Smyrna was a fun course. There's a bunch of other courses around Nashville but those are the only 3 I've played. Richmond Hills in Asheville was a good course if you like the woods

Latest posts