• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Making rough concrete tees smooth?

I'm going to dick around Lowes and Tractor Supply tomorrow if I have time after my Dr appointment, see if I can find some mats or something readily available. I hastily measured the pads (well, one of them) at a strange 93'' by 48" so something 6" x 4" should work well. Then the fun part, telling the P&R that there's something wrong with their DG course they ignore and asking for help in fixing it.

I'll try and keep you guys updated but this is going to be a slow process more than likely. I just want to reiterate how much help everyone has been, this thread is an example of everything that's good about DGCR. :)

I don't want to insult anyone, but man! That's no bueno!

As others have said, remove and replace or cover with rubber (which is probably the best way). If you cover it with rubber, you'd have to do something to keep moisture from getting and staying underneath the rubber. The rubber mats won't last long if water is allowed to "rot" them from the underside.

The pads made for DG are porous, which should allow them to breathe, making that less of an issue. I don't know about the horse stall mats sold at Tractor Supply and such places.

Good luck Bro D!

I don't want to insult anyone, but man! That's no bueno!

Whoever did that garbage needs to be insulted....and loudly. I could do better than that when I was just starting out 20 something years ago. Those guys should not be allowed anywhere near concrete again.

Local Tractor Supply has horse stall mats for $40 a piece, measuring 6'x4' and 3/4" thick. If these weren't quite so thick, I could probably cut these into 3's and just put them on the end of the tees and that'd be fairly cheap and easy. The tees already stick out of the ground an inch or two as it is so I'm trying to not add as much thickness as necessary or I'd have to bring some dirt/mulch around the tees to make them flush.

What about these commercial vinyl tiles?: http://www.lowes.com/Flooring/Vinyl-Flooring/Commercial-Vinyl-Tile/_/N-1z0zwoq/pl?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1#! I scoped these out at Lowes and they're nice and thin but I wonder how well they'd hold up outside.

I thought about looking for those standing fatigue mats or maybe some outdoor yoga mats. The problem is a lot of this stuff is made to be slip-proof so I'm not sure if it would work.

So the vinyl concrete patcher probably wouldn't work, huh?

It would work for a little bit, then it would come up in chunks and be worse than it was before. Same with any tiles or overlays. I could get an epoxy cement overlay to work, but the cost would make you gag hard. Prep work on stuff like that is very involved. The more the prep, the better it sticks. Skip a step or be lax about the prep and it all goes to waste.

I played there today. I almost think it'd be better to just lay new pads for the worst offenders since some of the tee placements just seem....off. Seriously shifting some of the tees even just 5 feet to the right or left makes alot of the holes 100% better. Not necessarily easier, just a better golf shot.
I also feel 9-11 could be redone into 2 holes and 17 and 18 are just awful. Theres alot of room to put in some better holes. I have a club member that lives there that knows a few of the city officials if your interested.

Theres a bunch of dedication trees that are directly in the line of fire and are getting beat up on 17 and 18. I don't think it'd be too hard to shmooze the city into helping shift the course around to save those trees.

Latest posts