• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Mako vs Mids

veek

Birdie Member
They say the Mako will hold any line, so does that mean I only need the Mako and I can drop my other mids, the Skeeter / Kite / Roc / Gator. Because that sounds too good to be true. And if so, what extra disc goes in the bag, drivers or putters or get a smaller bag ?

You need more than just the Mako...
What extra discs? That's up to you, it depends on your bag. DGCR can't help you with that unless we see your bag. You want bag help post it in that section.

Last edited:
Does anybody use just one mid (Mako / Buzz / ect...) ? ? ?

Mako is great for straight shots, turn overs and slight hyzers, still need the roc or buzzes and gator/drone IMHO

The Mako is the straightest mid I have ever used. The only disc that came close was the Aurora. But I don't use the Mako any more. I use the Dart for straight approach shots and a heavy Roc if want fade.

The Mako will hold a lot of different lines but there are still gaps just like any disc would have. It'll hold certain hyzer lines but if you put it on a hyzer sometimes you want a disc to fade sooner than what the Mako would so you'll need something more stable. Or if you're throwing a longer hyzer line the Mako will flip up some with enough power and come off the line so again you'd need something more stable.

It'll hold straightish lines of any kind and IMO there's not many discs out there that do it better. I don't think you'd need a buzzz in your bag if you had a Mako, there's to much overlap there. The one thing I don't get is how people think Makos only excel at straight lines, they're also great anny discs. They'll hold just about any anny line you put it on if you know how to throw it right.

Beyond that I'd also recommend you have a disc that's a line shaper and not a line holder. Makos will hold lines not really shape them. Sometimes you need to shape a line with a hyzer flip or flex shot. For that you'll need a disc that's less or more overstable than a Mako. I pair my Mako with a Fuse and a CMD2. The CMD2 holds hyzer lines better and is more predictable in the wind (again something the Mako doesn't exactly excel at). The Fuse shapes lines and can be used as a turnover disc much easier than the Mako.

The Mako will hold a lot of different lines but there are still gaps just like any disc would have. It'll hold certain hyzer lines but if you put it on a hyzer sometimes you want a disc to fade sooner than what the Mako would so you'll need something more stable. Or if you're throwing a longer hyzer line the Mako will flip up some with enough power and come off the line so again you'd need something more stable.

It'll hold straightish lines of any kind and IMO there's not many discs out there that do it better. I don't think you'd need a buzzz in your bag if you had a Mako, there's to much overlap there. The one thing I don't get is how people think Makos only excel at straight lines, they're also great anny discs. They'll hold just about any anny line you put it on if you know how to throw it right.

Beyond that I'd also recommend you have a disc that's a line shaper and not a line holder. Makos will hold lines not really shape them. Sometimes you need to shape a line with a hyzer flip or flex shot. For that you'll need a disc that's less or more overstable than a Mako. I pair my Mako with a Fuse and a CMD2. The CMD2 holds hyzer lines better and is more predictable in the wind (again something the Mako doesn't exactly excel at). The Fuse shapes lines and can be used as a turnover disc much easier than the Mako.

C MD2 = Amazing :)

I got a Mako a few months ago and love it. It will hold any line you put it on but its really best suited to be thrown flat and straight. I sill use and Buzz and a Shark for hyzer and turnover shots though because I can throw them flat and they will go. If you are confident in your turnover and hyzer throws I think you could get away with just a Mako as your only mid.

Pretty much what New said. Except in my case it's Tangent / Tensor. It's good to have a two mid combo.

I wasn't saying that the mako is only good for straight lines, I'm just saying that's what I use it for. Or shots that I only need a little movement.

Mako is the straightest disc I have ever thrown. The thing can't fly like a Vector or Tangent. It is not nearly as versatile as the Buzzz. You must carry other mids. In my small bag I carry a Vector and Mako as my two mids. They can get the job done on easy courses.

Mid is the category that is over-crowded with great discs. Love the Mako, the Shark, the Warship, the Buzzz, the Tursas, the Fuse, the Roc, the Ibex, the Cobra, etc.

And there are so many more to try, like the Axis, the Tangent, the Obex, the Pain, the Stingray, the Comet, etc.

Mako is long and straight, Very useful disc.

I dislike the Mako

This is just one person's opinion, but I dislike the Mako. I used one for a while when I was a less experienced player, and I recently tried a Mako3 for kicks. It was an okay disc for a slow arm speed, but if you try to power it up at all (say anything more than 200'), it tended to flip over to the right and die. And when you try to compensate for that with a hyzer flip, you just don't get the sort of distance you want out of it for the power. Also, after it got a little beat in, all those characteristics I described just got worse.

I'm not saying it will do that for everyone, but that was my experience. The Mako looks great on paper, but in practice there's a reason more experienced players throw more stable mids like Rocs. Those are just more versatile discs than the Mako (and more forgiving to errors), and they can take a lot more power. For a dead straight shot I either use a Buzzz or a putter (depending on whether it's got to hold the straight line down hill (putter) or just on a flat (Buzzz)).

This is just one person's opinion, but I dislike the Mako. I used one for a while when I was a less experienced player, and I recently tried a Mako3 for kicks. It was an okay disc for a slow arm speed, but if you try to power it up at all (say anything more than 200'), it tended to flip over to the right and die. And when you try to compensate for that with a hyzer flip, you just don't get the sort of distance you want out of it for the power. Also, after it got a little beat in, all those characteristics I described just got worse.

I'm not saying it will do that for everyone, but that was my experience. The Mako looks great on paper, but in practice there's a reason more experienced players throw more stable mids like Rocs. Those are just more versatile discs than the Mako (and more forgiving to errors), and they can take a lot more power. For a dead straight shot I either use a Buzzz or a putter (depending on whether it's got to hold the straight line down hill (putter) or just on a flat (Buzzz)).

I'm not trying to attack you so don't take this the wrong way but if you're flipping over a mako past 200' you've got some serious OAT in your form. i can throw a mako past 300' on a straight path and not worry about flipping it. makos shouldn't flip over, they'll turn a bit at 300' power but still hold a relatively straight path. that's all on you man.

I'm not trying to attack you so don't take this the wrong way but if you're flipping over a mako past 200' you've got some serious OAT in your form. i can throw a mako past 300' on a straight path and not worry about flipping it. makos shouldn't flip over, they'll turn a bit at 300' power but still hold a relatively straight path. that's all on you man.

Yes, I think your right. Maybe he got a bad one, but my bro throws his further then I can throw my drivers. He only carrys 2 mids, the other is a Gator. Is that enough in heavy wooded course's ?

Latest posts