• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Mako3

Never had a problem with glide on a Champ Mako3, granted that is the only plastic I have thrown so far. I was getting mine about 310' on a frozen rope before I decided to move to something more OS. Doubt I could get them that far right now.

Star Mako3s are pretty glidey for me. The Star Mako3 was the first disc I was able to forehand with any ability, and it glides nicely for me BH and FH.

DGU only.

I have no complaints about the glide. I have no experience with the Star, G*, or Champs... but the fact that I'm not disappointed should mean something given that I'm a Comet freak. I'd be interested to hear from those that do know the other Mako3 plastics.

It sounds like we are on the same page as far as mids are concerned. I cycle DX Rocs as my main mid. Comets are my favorite, but Rocs can cover more of the midrange spectrum with one very cheap mold. There is so much to like about Rocs... but I just adore my Comets. Its not logical.
Having said that, I am super interested in getting these Mako3s onto my heavily wooded home courses because I'm pretty sure they are going to be absolute fire. My backyard testing showed me that they can hit 260' (measured) with a fairly weak throw... maybe 50% effort? They really are great as far as I can see right now. Gotta check out some Champs and Stars next... just gotta get DGU to let me stamp some of those blends hahahaha.

I recently acquired a dx glow roc that was worked in a bit. It's so straight it's stupid. It's one of those mids where it stands up to flat and you think, well now its gonna flip. Nope. Rope. Then it starts to slow down and you think, well, it's gonna fade. Nope. I can get it to sniff 300' pretty easily. I highly recommend them for the tick of added stability they hold when beat, and the grip is A+. I almost wanna throw my slippery KCs in the trash after putting a couple DX rocs back in the bag....almost...

Never had a problem with glide on a Champ Mako3, granted that is the only plastic I have thrown so far. I was getting mine about 310' on a frozen rope before I decided to move to something more OS. Doubt I could get them that far right now.

For sure, they have tons of glide. Just gotta snap 'em clean and they go.

For me it was just a "situational" disc and never found a true home in the bag. If I was, say, faced with a 280' low ceiling tunnel shot, then the mako3 is perfect for that. A roc may need more height but a teebird or equivalent would certainly fade out and skip at the power input necessary for that distance given the hypothetical height restrictions.

As someone who threw and loved the original Mako, I was disappointed to never make the transition. My Comets and beat in Rocs had much more late penetration and I ended up shelving the Mako3 in favor of more trusted molds. Everybody has their standards of what an acceptable amount of glide is, and in my case I think the pro plastic may be what brings it to where it needs to be.

Just did a mini field practice session with my Mako3s. I need to amend my statement from before; these will start turning with a little over 300' of power.

During the distance section of the session, I got several out to 370-ish feet. But the sweet spot for this mold IMO is 200-300'. I'll post a link to the video soon but the Clifs Notes is that is is a great disc for delicate woodsy shots, straight shots, or smooth hyzers/anhyzers.

Just did a mini field practice session with my Mako3s. I need to amend my statement from before; these will start turning with a little over 300' of power.

During the distance section of the session, I got several out to 370-ish feet. But the sweet spot for this mold IMO is 200-300'. I'll post a link to the video soon but the Clifs Notes is that is is a great disc for delicate woodsy shots, straight shots, or smooth hyzers/anhyzers.

I think you should try out a Champ Mako3 too if you're loving these and you want to add a fresh Mako3 flight once these beat in. They can take some really good clean power, although you do throw harder than me, but they respond well. I feel like I can hit them harder than a Comet, and while they don't have as much glide I can power them down a tunnel a bit more.

I love Comets but if I try to low line drive them down a tunnel I tend to dig them into the ground 150-200' away...I feel like I need to give them a good 10' of air for them to cruise the rest of the way. I think that's just me throwing them like a driver style mid down a ceiling restriction rather than a classic style mid.

Ok Mako3 folks, the mako3 used to be my favorite favorite FAVORITE disc. When I first started, this thing was a laser that I could always rely on. But near the end of 2017 I lost my champ mako3 and I also gave away my star mako3 to my dad. Spring 2018 I bought a new star mako3 in the same weight. It flew just like the others. But as spring gave way to summer, I got better and stronger and ended up really loving my buzzzes (which I had NOT liked previously). All summer long, I learned to love what I could do with a buzzz and I eventually took the mako3 out of the bag.
Fast forward to now. It's a new season and I've only gotten my discs out a couple times to throw at the local soccer fields. I generally take all of bagged mids and putters, but I added the mako3 because I was feeling nostalgic. All of my discs flew as expected, except the mako3 :(
No matter how I threw this disc, I was getting it to turn over, something that was never an issue for me before.
It started acting a lot like my Discraft Sol (4/4/-2/1), but I know that my Sol is flippy. This mako3 is virtually new and prior to this season, it flew dead straight.
So my thought is, I must be throwing with more strength than when I last threw the mako3, which also explains why I like my heavier buzzzes so much, but why can't I get this disc to fly straight anymore? It's supposed to be a dead straight flier for like 300 feet. Even on a regular hyzer, my mako3 flips up about 100 feet out and continues to turn and crash out at around 200-250. Forehand, it flips even faster. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get this disc straight anymore unless I power down, but then my distance caps at 200ish? Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Ok Mako3 folks, the mako3 used to be my favorite favorite FAVORITE disc. When I first started, this thing was a laser that I could always rely on. But near the end of 2017 I lost my champ mako3 and I also gave away my star mako3 to my dad. Spring 2018 I bought a new star mako3 in the same weight. It flew just like the others. But as spring gave way to summer, I got better and stronger and ended up really loving my buzzzes (which I had NOT liked previously). All summer long, I learned to love what I could do with a buzzz and I eventually took the mako3 out of the bag.
Fast forward to now. It's a new season and I've only gotten my discs out a couple times to throw at the local soccer fields. I generally take all of bagged mids and putters, but I added the mako3 because I was feeling nostalgic. All of my discs flew as expected, except the mako3 :(
No matter how I threw this disc, I was getting it to turn over, something that was never an issue for me before.
It started acting a lot like my Discraft Sol (4/4/-2/1), but I know that my Sol is flippy. This mako3 is virtually new and prior to this season, it flew dead straight.
So my thought is, I must be throwing with more strength than when I last threw the mako3, which also explains why I like my heavier buzzzes so much, but why can't I get this disc to fly straight anymore? It's supposed to be a dead straight flier for like 300 feet. Even on a regular hyzer, my mako3 flips up about 100 feet out and continues to turn and crash out at around 200-250. Forehand, it flips even faster. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get this disc straight anymore unless I power down, but then my distance caps at 200ish? Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Maybe the mako3 is beaten up to a point? Lighter weight? Otherwise, sounds like some form stuff. A mako3 should not be rolling like you describe.

I know, that's why I'm all confused. It's not like I suddenly became Hercules. This disc hasn't ever crashed into anything; it was only thrown on an open field a couple times last season, then hung out in my basement for almost a year and then thrown about five times yesterday, all with the same massive turn result. I wonder if maybe I stored it funny? Doesn't look out of the ordinary though.

No matter how I threw this disc, I was getting it to turn over, something that was never an issue for me before.....

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

If you have a Nova, take it out and throw it some. If it's turning over, you may have some wrist roll in your throwing, which would also cause your Mako3 to turn over.

My second idea is that the Mako3 in storage became a tiny bit warped? Something to look at, anyway....

If you have a Nova, take it out and throw it some. If it's turning over, you may have some wrist roll in your throwing, which would also cause your Mako3 to turn over.

My second idea is that the Mako3 in storage became a tiny bit warped? Something to look at, anyway....

I do have an XT nova... I can give that a try. I thought that one on a whim because it looked cool but I never really used it because my first rattler came in the mail later that week and I never looked back regarding putters. But since you mention it, I'll take the nova out and see, thanks!

Eh, from what I have "heard", the Novas can be pretty stable compared to something like a Mako3 or Comet. I would use the Mako3 as an indicator that your form is off and use it to get your form in line before you start heading to the course again. I took my Mako3s out a month ago to work on form and they were rolling at first as well. Start with stand and deliver at 80% power and build from there. Those things should be laser beaming out to 300ft or so like you said.

Thanks, I'll give that a try as well. But it's a tad distressing. Thanks for the feedback!

Eh, from what I have "heard", the Novas can be pretty stable compared to something like a Mako3 or Comet. I would use the Mako3 as an indicator that your form is off and use it to get your form in line before you start heading to the course again. I took my Mako3s out a month ago to work on form and they were rolling at first as well. Start with stand and deliver at 80% power and build from there. Those things should be laser beaming out to 300ft or so like you said.

The Nova is excellent for practice as it will reveal wrist roll. It's a very straight disc when thrown flat correctly. I've been using my Nova to warm up before throwing at the range, and it really does well getting me into the correct throwing technique with my hand, wrist, and arm.

Last edited:
I know, that's why I'm all confused. It's not like I suddenly became Hercules. This disc hasn't ever crashed into anything; it was only thrown on an open field a couple times last season, then hung out in my basement for almost a year and then thrown about five times yesterday, all with the same massive turn result. I wonder if maybe I stored it funny? Doesn't look out of the ordinary though.

Did the disc sit in the sun light ever like near a window in the basement, some plastics can get gummy in that respect and loose some High Speed Stability on the way. I know I have had a disc or two on purpose get left in the car, the Champion plastic that year was stiff as can be so my Destoyers got left in the car and also the Dome on one was making the disc fly like an Xcaliber yeah it was not domed just more a Shrike shaped dome but not as tall as a normal Shrike is.

Latest posts