• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Male vs Female Skill Levels

No its not a direct quote, hence the lack of ""'s and me specifying that i couldnt recall spe ifically what he said
Okay okay okay! I'm sorry, man. I realize you're not a sexist monster or anything; I just thought you were typing out your post, went to go get the quote, then came back and pasted it in. I know most people don't type their posts like that. My bad.

Okay okay okay! I'm sorry, man. I realize you're not a sexist monster or anything; I just thought you were typing out your post, went to go get the quote, then came back and pasted it in. I know most people don't type their posts like that. My bad.

I win. Yesssssss

To give scope to mark's "quote":

male adv card- one dude with headphones on the whole time, one dude non stop yappin (seemingly to play head games, one dude with book in hand lookin to call infractions, and one normal.
No on talks cqsually except to rattle off a few rumors about wizards being illegal.

Female mixd card (entire field)- one sponsored pro thats going to win, one competitive int/adv woman that will come in second, and two rec/novic ladies that will battle for 3rd place.
They give hi fives, encourage each other, and hug at the end.

;)

this is sadly quite accurate. but I have seen some pretty aggressive female competition in larger events. but I usually see the above and/or at least the positive encouragement side of things when the cards are more level.

and women are just as competitive as men, they just tend to go about it in a different manner. I think many people confuse competition and aggression. they are not always mutually inclusive.

Man keltic, you were fast on that quote..lol

Though i havent been playing events, i am ideally local to the same area as mark (ellis) so i get where hes coming from.
At least when i was more in the scene, there was two sponsored females (liz and sarah), three main faces of the int/adv skill level but two of them only really played leauges- when asked they said they play for the social aspect- and a few girls out tobhave fun, usually gf's, daughters, or sisters.

this is sadly quite accurate. but I have seen some pretty aggressive female competition in larger events. but I usually see the above and/or at least the positive encouragement side of things when the cards are more level.

and women are just as competitive as men, they just tend to go about it in a different manner. I think many people confuse competition and aggression. they are not always mutually inclusive.

I would agree with this mostly. I feel like women get aggresively competetive when its something they truly care about. Its about perspective for them, they know its a game. Men dont care. They'll rip each others heads off trying to win at flipping quarters.

Where I see women of all skill levels play well is courses with SSA's around 49 with pars around 55 or 56. This is because the holes aren't insanely hard where you need to execute a lot of shots (as referenced by SSA being 6 or 7 strokes below par) off the tee to shoot well, but someone can easily throw 250 feet down the middle and 3 a lot of holes with a random 2. This really allows women who simply can't throw that far to shoot well because they aren't falling behind the guys 2ing left and right.

It's the same here in NC. You have kinda the same thing here in NC. you have a couple of FPO mainstays (Elaine King being the big dawg) and a few consistent female ams (U_NICED_ME being one) and of course the ladies that got talked into playing.

There are plenty of athletic women in this world, but they are usually brought up in the mindset that they have to do something just as well and as legitimate as the men. and this again goes back to our questionable legitimacy as a sport.

I would agree with this mostly. I feel like women get aggresively competetive when its something they truly care about. Its about perspective for them, they know its a game. Men dont care. They'll rip each others heads off trying to win at flipping quarters.

that is exactly what I meant.

Something to consider is some of the more athletic females don't consider disc golf enough of a sport from an exercise standpoint for the time they spend (see other thread about disc golf as exercise.) Top woman Master, Barrett White is a mostly retired Ultimate player who has boundless energy and has to do things like handstands to burn energy while waiting at the next tee. She is one of the exceptions of a woman ultimate player turned top level disc golfer (Carrie Berlogar is another.) But retired/injured ultimate players should be a wellspring of potential women players but it really hasn't worked out that way.

I think women balance the tradeoffs among exercise/health value, individual vs team/social sport and money to potentially be made and disc golf is less appealing than some other sports options. Even though DG is individualistic, I think all of us like certain social aspects of the sport and that's missing for women in general with their lack of players.

Last edited:
Its a cultural or psychological thing. I can't think of a common athletic activity where Women out number men. Even at the Gym, more women are on treadmills but there are more men there overall. Jogging, Tennis, Basketball, Hiking, Golf, Baseball Leagues...There are more women in the world, but they choose for what ever reason to not choose games. Disc golf would appear to be the perfect sport for women. You can socialize, you can accessorize, and you can compete and beat males but participation is still low. I doubt there is seriously anything you can do...or else you would see more women in more established sports or outside activities. Inside Target you'll find 85% women. They appear to want it that way.

cough Yoga cough

I think I know what could bring the ladies; Gucci DG bags.... okay I'll quit being silly

EDIT: Chuck beat me to it.

Dancing is competitive. and inside the US soccer is a bigger female sport. We do have the best female soccer players in the world. Abby Wombach just won the FIFA Balon d'Or.

Dancing is competitive. and inside the US soccer is a bigger female sport. We do have the best female soccer players in the world. Abby Wombach just won the FIFA Balon d'Or.

The who won the what for what? I feel like you're making names of things up now. Soccer? You mean no hands rugby? You've lost me...

Latest posts