• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Male vs Female Skill Levels

Cheerleading is not a frickin sport. It is by definition, cheering those who are playing a sport.... If cheerleading is a sport, so is cheering for football games at home. I dont do flips usually, but nothing gets between me and a fridge full of beers, ive been known to do some maneuvers

*edit
Nobody said it was, i saw it and blacked out in a rage, sorry for yelling

Last edited:
I knew a lot of cheerleaders in college. One of my best friends (a guy) was on the squad. You have to be in impeccable shape to cheer at the collegiate level. My friend was also on a national championship winning squad in high school. They get more recognition as a sport than we do. they show cheer competitions on ESPN...

Gymnastics, Zumba, Yoga, Dancing?

Gymnastics and Dancing are not recreational sports, they are usually done by children and that doesnt count...because then you have to talk about the comparitive sports Karate and Wrestling which have more boys. You don't see adult men wrestling often or women doing gymnastics.

Yoga, eh, maybe. I did yoga for months before each Worlds and found that men weren't that out numbered. You would be suprised the number of older men that do yoga...

While Yoga can be done outside or at special Yoga studios, it is most often found and offered as part of a gym membership which if you average it all out has more men there consistently throughout the day (maybe more women members). I would consider "gym" to include dancing, stepping, spinning, stationary cardio, swimming, racquet ball, weight lifting.

All the other posts between my last 2 are talking about college, highschool, or children sports (except yoga and zumba which, I don't believe many women "compete" in.) I should have been more specific to say after college. Either way, even with title 9, Women far excede men attending/graduating college. Men far exceed women in participation of sports; 56.8% of the 450,000 NCAA atheletes... Governement is forcing equal participation by (without refreshing myself on the law) forcing equal resources be provided for men's and women's sports... So...if you have a football team you need a couple womens teams to make up for the spending. This all doesnt take into account the millions of males that play intramural, casual, or fraternity leagues.

It is clear that we need more Women in discgolf...but it is also clear to me that women, on average, just don't prefer sports/games no matter what the sport, especially if it is a competition where there is a winner and a loser. I give free stuff to women that attend my leagues, partner with them so they win more discs...etc... In the end, though, I think you will see little actual increase in women's participation.

Dancing is competitive. and inside the US soccer is a bigger female sport. We do have the best female soccer players in the world. Abby Wombach just won the FIFA Balon d'Or.

Usually these are good college players that go right into Olympic or national teams. It may be popular, but those 100 or so women that stay in contact with the national teams is far from a good "participation" level. Its the same thing we have in disc golf. A few women travel everywhere and very little participation at the local level.

Male soccer leagues far outnumber women's soccer leagues. On average, with no facts, I am confident assuming that most women leave college/highschool and rarely play soccer (other sports) again. Most athletic men in college or highschool go on to join numerous types of sports or leagues after their sanctioned play is over; at least until the bear gut and grind of the world sets in.

1978 you make some very valid points.

I'm starting to wonder if the way the female body ages has something to do with sports participation after the scholastic career has ended. Women are the child bearers of our species maybe there is some deep genetic code that subconsciously makes women seek out low impact/low stress activities that center more around the home and social outlets. not being sexist just thinking out loud on an anthropological tangent.

I knew a lot of cheerleaders in college. One of my best friends (a guy) was on the squad. You have to be in impeccable shape to cheer at the collegiate level. My friend was also on a national championship winning squad in high school. They get more recognition as a sport than we do. they show cheer competitions on ESPN...

Anything that gets evaluated and not objectively scored is performance art and not a sport.

I teased him about being a male cheerleader quite frequently. He was big enough to play lineman for the football team. He said he just enjoyed lifting small statured women in the air while placing hands on their buttocks. I couldn't argue much with that.

and again read the last line of that quote.

I teased him about being a male cheerleader quite frequently. He was big enough to play lineman for the football team. He said he just enjoyed lifting small statured women in the air while placing hands on their buttocks. I couldn't argue much with that.

and again read the last line of that quote.

About 8 cheerleaders live next to me. Out of the four guys......only one cares about touching girls' butts...

And these fools party every other night.

how does that saying go about Texas? only steers and queers...?

/bad humor

@ Keltik,
Fair point. They also show spelling bee's, competetive cup stacking and lumberjacking on espn occasionally, fwiw...

I would concede tumbling, lifting, running, and jumping can all be 'sport'
I will not concede that organized rooting for a team is a sport. By that definition, the guy who gets the wave going at the ball game, or gets the crowd pumped up is participating in a sport.

I think many disc golfers, especially as they age, will be seen to have a touch of Peter Pan syndrome (not wanting to grow up) which has not been a syndrome associated with women.

Which, with the exception of gymnastics, are more social vs competitive activities.

I know that Women's soccer and tennis are pretty big in college.

Y'all forgot swimming. The one sport where men and women train and compete together. I can tell you some of those ladies are the most competitive people I've ever encountered. Swimming is similar to disc golf in that the actual swimming/throwing part of the action is not social, but before and after the action is.

Speaking of the anthropological asides...

There's the whole "oldest game in the world" thing: "throw s@$# at s#%£."

A buddy of mine when I lived in NM and I were hiking, took a break, just BSing, and without even thinking about it started taking turns throwing smaller rocks at a bigger nearby rock. He made what seemed like at the time the brilliant observation that any time 2 or more dudes were sitting still for 5 minutes with small throwable objects at hand and a static object w/in range to throw them at/through/into, they just naturally start playing "throw s%#£ at s@$%, the oldest game in the world."

Hilarious, and true. Most games are a version of this, and I figure dates back to the age where we started walking up right and tried to throw a rock at anything that looked like it might taste ah-ite.

I think many disc golfers, especially as they age, will be seen to have a touch of Peter Pan syndrome (not wanting to grow up) which has not been a syndrome associated with women.

Found a signature to use!

Thanks so much, I usually read first and last page of a thread first and this stopped me dead in my tracks for the night.
Not only do alot of us not want to grow up, we'd also like to be 20 years younger again...

I may have those first 20 words made into a T shirt.
It also told me all I needed to know about where it had gone between page 1 and here.

Last edited:
Hilarious, and true. Most games are a version of this, and I figure dates back to the age where we started walking up right and tried to throw a rock at anything that looked like it might taste ah-ite.

Reminds me of similar incident. Was on the beach(more rocks than sand really) with some friends (all male) - and an old lady stopped and asked why we were throwing rocks in the water.
One the guys looked at her and said "Theres rocks here and water out there." In a tone that said that information should be everything she needed. :)

Speaking of the anthropological asides...

There's the whole "oldest game in the world" thing: "throw s@$# at s#%£."

A buddy of mine when I lived in NM and I were hiking, took a break, just BSing, and without even thinking about it started taking turns throwing smaller rocks at a bigger nearby rock. He made what seemed like at the time the brilliant observation that any time 2 or more dudes were sitting still for 5 minutes with small throwable objects at hand and a static object w/in range to throw them at/through/into, they just naturally start playing "throw s%#£ at s@$%, the oldest game in the world."

I've had group of friends since I was 10, I'm 34, we still play that game, no matter what the rules are, how objects are used, or what the objects are. It is called "ball." We played in church, we played on highschool class trips, sporting events, came from across the east coast and rented a beach house in RI for a summer, traveled to weddings, camped, etc...always played "ball." Never had 1 girl/woman even interested enough to ask what we were playing, whether it was throw a stone at a floating stick in a stream or basketball in a hotel room using balled up socks and a hat jammed into a smoke detector. Women don't care about ball.

On that class trip, any boy entering our hotel room waited in line to get a chance at "ball". The girls just sat in the corner and talked.

Latest posts