• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maple Hill-not top ten...really ?

It would be cool if there was like a DGCR Hall of Fame category. Like for legendary courses over a certain age that have maintained excellent quality for a minimum amount of time. The Maple Hill/Flip City/Idlewild/Milo type courses that everyone should play at least once in their life. So that even if they get bumped from the top by people loading a course less informed viewers would know that the course is fantastic.

Of the "top 10" listed, I've only played one of them - Flip City. And IMO, Flip shouldn't really even be on there. I'm sure being from Michigan, saying this would be frowned upon. But come on.

Don't get me wrong, Flip is a GREAT course.. there's just stuff that could make it better.

Therefor, I just assume most of the top 10 courses on DGCR have skewed reviews.

Flip is awesome and an unmistakable good time...love Flip... I think I agree though about not thr top ten... So much of what makes Flip so cool is Bill... I've always thought of Flip as a solid 4.0-4.25.

Anywhoo...

That's exactly it, and that's about where I'd put it as well.

Flip is awesome and an unmistakable good time...love Flip... I think I agree though about not thr top ten... So much of what makes Flip so cool is Bill... I've always thought of Flip as a solid 4.0-4.25.

Anywhoo...

When the site first started, Flip gained a lot of good reviews because it's a legit fun course. It still gets some good reviews although at a slower pace. For the top X list, doing something like counting reviews written / updated only from the past X years or last 20 reviews if there aren't enough in that time frame might not be a bad idea. I have no idea if that would change anything but it would be an interesting experiment.

I know of a lot of courses that shouldn't be rated very high but are a lot of fun. But that all comes down to what an individual considers when thinking about how good the course actually is. There will always be a little subjectivity.

Reviews based on a certain recent time period is interesting. How hard would it be to have two different top 10 lists? The current list for all-time reviews, and one list based on reviews within 365 days or something - kinda like a rolling top 10. I'm sure this would allow more courses to see the spotlight, even if it's for a brief period.

When the site first started, Flip gained a lot of good reviews because it's a legit fun course. It still gets some good reviews although at a slower pace. For the top X list, doing something like counting reviews written / updated only from the past X years or last 20 reviews if there aren't enough in that time frame might not be a bad idea. I have no idea if that would change anything but it would be an interesting experiment.

I like the idea since reviews do get out-of-date after a while. I'm interested to see what it does to the ratings. What would the X be though? Five years?

I kinda like the idea of less time than that. Maybe just a couple years.

I can't even begin to imagine how many outdated reviews there are. Courses change over time and get redesigns all together.

I like the idea since reviews do get out-of-date after a while. I'm interested to see what it does to the ratings. What would the X be though? Five years?

I know of a lot of courses that shouldn't be rated very high but are a lot of fun. But that all comes down to what an individual considers when thinking about how good the course actually is. There will always be a little subjectivity.

Reviews based on a certain recent time period is interesting. How hard would it be to have two different top 10 lists? The current list for all-time reviews, and one list based on reviews within 365 days or something - kinda like a rolling top 10. I'm sure this would allow more courses to see the spotlight, even if it's for a brief period.

I think there is, or at least used to be, one based just on reviews in a given year. Top 10 of 2017, etc.

I like an annual set of data... Only reviews from the past twelve months. You'd get a good sense of what people are liking out there...and it would be very current.

Food for thought.

Would you prefer to have just a "Top 10 of 2017"? Or a rolling list that just takes reviews from the last 12 months?

I like an annual set of data... Only reviews from the past twelve months. You'd get a good sense of what people are liking out there...and it would be very current.

Food for thought.

Food for thought.

Would you prefer to have just a "Top 10 of 2017"? Or a rolling list that just takes reviews from the last 12 months?

I think there is, or at least used to be, one based just on reviews in a given year. Top 10 of 2017, etc.

David is correct. Tim already does this: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/topcourses/topcourses_2017.php

First of all, Top 10 list should not be taken too seriously.

(I'm sure the courses are great, but there are a lot more great courses than there are spots on the Top 10 list. It's not the arbiter of what is/isn't a good course. The composition and order of the Top 10 are volatile and somewhat arbitrary; get over it.)

More importantly:
If people stopped caring so much about the Top 10 list, then there would be less incentive for the worthless/drive-by "reviews" we've been seeing on highly rated courses.

I didn't realize what you were talking about the first time you emailed. It took me 10 minutes to figure out where to look just now but I think you should have the ability back.

When this thread started, did anybody foresee THAT outcome??

I've played over 350 courses, Maple Hill is my #1. I've done over 75 reviews on here but don't think I've ever reviewed MH so I may be part of the problem :).

Latest posts