• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maple Hill-not top ten...really ?

I've also wondered about Maple Hill, not from personal experience, but from YouTube coverage and hearing many top players over the years saying it's the best course on tour.

I don't put a whole lot of weight on overall rankings, but the course rating alone does matter. When I travel I generally mark a dot on the map then start clicking on 3.0 and higher given there are some. After that I sort by trusted reviews and find a couple good ones that focus on design over amenities, since that is what I care about. Where courses land on the top 10 means nothing to me, and I'm actually pretty confident I would LOVE to play the top 50 rated courses on this site not knowing a thing about them.

Arrogant......I honestly just clicked on the Top Courses link for the first time in about 8 years and haven't given it any objective credibility since the first Top 50 was listed whenever. Just another beauty pageant that can be ballot-stuffed and undercut by any jack-leg with a cpu.:rolleyes:

You are so cool. Not as cool as you tell yourself you are. But so cool anyway.

…sorta

Stardoggy is just jealous of how blatantly you let people know how cool you are. He wants to be that cool but has humility and can't just let it out there for people to see. He wants to be as cool as you are. I know. Cuz I'm cool too.

I can't win :)

Wrong lol

Are you kidding? This entire site is a win even if a minority of users are turds.

Words cannot express just how helpful this site has been in my journeys. Going to a new course it is so helpful to understand what to expect even with really simple things like where the first tee is. I wonder if you realize just how useful this site is.

Screw the whiners dude. Don't worry about them and keep doing what you think is right. I got your back as the youngin's say.

-Dave

I love how someone's complaining about a 4.67 rating. Ya know the easy solution? We could just have fewer good courses. Bring back 2005!!!! I don't want to have options!

I just played Moraine, rated way lower at 4.66. I'm quite certain I would prefer Maple Hill to Moraine, but it would be really hard to hold anything against either. Fact is, Branson Trails - Blue is another whopping hundredth of a point down (4.65), and I'd prefer it to both. Clearly the rating system is broken... (insert sarcasm face here)

Tim,

The site is great. Don't change a thing.

PS. Please give me back my nice ability.

Love,
Star D. Oggy
I didn't realize what you were talking about the first time you emailed. It took me 10 minutes to figure out where to look just now but I think you should have the ability back.

Possibly a thread drift (possibly not), but in rating MH does one rate ONLY the gold layout (that the tour plays) or does one 'subconsciously inflate' their rating of MH because of its diversity, etc. (as it has 4 course on top of each other, and thus one can get a sense that "it has it all..." when perhaps all FOUR courses might (have it all) but not just 'gold'. Comparing a plot of land with 48 tees and 33 baskets (which MH has) to a great course with 18T / 18B doesn't seem like a fair fight.

Possibly a thread drift (possibly not), but in rating MH does one rate ONLY the gold layout (that the tour plays) or does one 'subconsciously inflate' their rating of MH because of its diversity, etc. (as it has 4 course on top of each other, and thus one can get a sense that "it has it all..." when perhaps all FOUR courses might (have it all) but not just 'gold'. Comparing a plot of land with 48 tees and 33 baskets (which MH has) to a great course with 18T / 18B doesn't seem like a fair fight.

Quality over quantity. Golden Corral has a buffet and a Chocolate Wonderfall. That's not a fair fight for other restaurants.

Quality over quantity. Golden Corral has a buffet and a Chocolate Wonderfall. That's not a fair fight for other restaurants.

But...I still would only give Golden Corral 2 and a half stars tops, where I would give say, Applebee's 3 out of 5

Last edited:
I didn't realize what you were talking about the first time you emailed. It took me 10 minutes to figure out where to look just now but I think you should have the ability back.

Was Stardoggy abusing the "Nice" button???
LOL!

7,597 courses in the directory worldwide.

10 like any other number is pretty defined.

7,587 courses aren't going on that list. I guess they all suck. Anyone got a time machine so I can unplay the ones I bothered making time for?

As I've said before and will again, with 7,597 (as stated above) courses listed, if a course is in the top 76 it's is in the top 1% of all courses.

It's a fair question.

But if a disc golfer lived equal distance from both, and asked me for my advice, I'd probably recommend the one with more options. It has the virtue of being more likely to have at least one layout my friend will love, and to play more without replaying the same holes over and over.

We have a private course with the same situation, to a lesser degree (in numbers and quality). I ponder whether they should be listed separately, or it's better to list them all together. But I think that if I listed the overlapping layouts as separate courses, someone would complain that they're not really 2 different courses---just 2 layouts on the same land. In the meantime, people seem to like the flexibility.

If you made the distinction, you'd then have to ask whether multiple tees increase a course's rating---particularly if they aren't just changes in distance, but noticeable changes in the holes themselves (I can think of one course that is clearly the latter, with 3 tees on each hole).

On the other hand, 4 overlapping layouts isn't quite the same as 4 independent courses either. If we could rate the IDGC (all 3 combined), would it be better than Maple Hill?

And do individual courses in a complex get a boost from just having other courses on the same property?

I guess, like everything else, it comes down to individual taste. And the degree to which these things matter to reviewers---or don't---will be reflected in the degree to which they affect the overall ratings.

You are so cool. Not as cool as you tell yourself you are. But so cool anyway.

…sorta

Stardoggy is just jealous of how blatantly you let people know how cool you are. He wants to be that cool but has humility and can't just let it out there for people to see. He wants to be as cool as you are. I know. Cuz I'm cool too.

My work here is done.

What you're describing sounds like a single course with four layouts, to me. Multiple layouts (if well executed) should enhance a course's rating, because they inherently create additional variety. At least that's how I rate courses with multiple layouts... I'm not necessarily rating any one particular layout, but the set of layouts, as a course.

Latest posts