• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maple Hill Open

Well, now it see this subject is on the table. My fault. I thought it was about Paul's comments. Apologies.

Anybody got a link to McBeth's comments about the payout, or are they on this thread and I missed them?

I thought the flatness of the payouts at MHO was pretty ridiculous myself. I understand that the TD wanted to reward everyone that made the cut by paying them at least the amount of their entry fee for say places 50-72, but by doing that the best golfers of the weekend weren't rewarded as much as they could have been.

I think places 20-72 should have received about 50% of what they actually got and the difference could have boosted the top 5 players awards by a lot more. First place definitely should have been $5,000 instead of overpaying the "average" pros.

I thought the same thing about the payouts when I saw the table. I wouldn't have paid out to 72 spots, simple as that. Cut it off to the top 30 or so. Bump up first to at least 5K.

The PDGA requires you to pay at least the top 40% of the field. 45% is "recommended."

http://www.pdga.com/files/PDGA_PayTables_1.xls

Yeah I know I was thinking about that after I posted. Not much you can do when you don't have any big time sponsor money. With travel expenses I don't see how some of these guys get by. If you don't finish top 3 you're hurting every week.

Yeah I know I was thinking about that after I posted. Not much you can do when you don't have any big time sponsor money. With travel expenses I don't see how some of these guys get by. If you don't finish top 3 you're hurting every week.

Yep. I know I couldn't sustain my lifestyle with the income of a touring pro.

Instead you just look for good partners at doubles leagues? Picked a ringer on Monday!

I thought the same thing about the payouts when I saw the table. I wouldn't have paid out to 72 spots, simple as that. Cut it off to the top 30 or so. Bump up first to at least 5K.

While the PDGA has guidelines regarding payouts, it's very easy for a TD to get a waver or change things a little. And besides, a player can always vote (whether or not to return the next year) with their feet (as this type of payout has long been known for this specific tournament). TDs of course, if they're smart, will "learn" from such and tweak their formats / payouts to effect that which they're trying to accomplish.

Karl

Did you tell your wife!? I wont if you dont.

She's just happy I have a disc golf addiction instead of a ball golf addiction. She knows how much my buddies spend on golf and I probably spend 10 cents on the dollar compared to them.

the deep payouts encourage more pros to qualify and you get a DEEPER pool of talent. Did any of you notice that every year somebody no one is familiar with makes some noise at this tourney. that is why this is the best tourney because it has a deep and talented field from 1-100
Its not the NT brats vs themselves its the NTbrats vs an actual field of talent

I think the biggest problem is the flat payout. I was just looking at ball golf and every place that paid out got a different amount of money (ties were paid the same). I know there is not a lot of money in disc golf and that paying spots to 72 with something decent was a good thing.

Can't we just recognize that the flat payout is a problem that need to be addressed sometime in the future if the sport gets more money? If we just ignore the problem and keep it the way it is, if/when disc golf gets a big sponsor, then the tendency will be to just do the same and keep the payout flat. We need to keep this problem in mind so when the sport does get more money, we can stagger the payouts it so every shot matters, even when you are fighting for 60th place.

the deep payouts encourage more pros to qualify and you get a DEEPER pool of talent. Did any of you notice that every year somebody no one is familiar with makes some noise at this tourney. that is why this is the best tourney because it has a deep and talented field from 1-100
Its not the NT brats vs themselves its the NTbrats vs an actual field of talent

Just curious as to what a NT brat is/are?

Just curious as to what a NT brat is/are?

Frank Sinatra = Rob Lowe = Paul McBeth

Dean Martin = Emilio Estevez = Ricky Wysocki

Sammy Davis, Jr. = ? = Philo Brathwaite

Peter Lawford = Anthony Michael Hall = Nate Doss

Joey Bishop = Judd Nelson = Dave Feldberg

? = Demi Moore = Catrina Allen

I think the biggest problem is the flat payout. I was just looking at ball golf . . .

Ball golf's payouts do not compare to disc golf's payout. Ball golf pays out other people's money, disc golf pays out the competitors' money.

When the people running and promoting disc golf make money, then you can start comparing the pay-outs of the 2 games, until then, it's apples to $$. The guy who finishes 2nd in a 2nd tier ball golf tourney makes more than the top performing disc golfer in winnings does for a year.

Paulw, did you even read my post after the first sentence? Obviously not. The two sports play the same and score the same. They should also payout in a similar fashion. I did mention the part about disc golf not having enough money and that was part of the problem. I take the time to read entire posts before I post, so maybe you should too.

Paulw, did you even read my post after the first sentence? Obviously not. The two sports play the same and score the same. They should also payout in a similar fashion. I did mention the part about disc golf not having enough money and that was part of the problem. I take the time to read entire posts before I post, so maybe you should too.

Just because the sports play and score similarly does not mean they should pay out similarly as well...

That's like saying soccer and hockey are similar, so the Stanley Cup Playoffs should look more like the World Cup.

The fact is, the business of disc golf is vastly different than the business of ball golf. And when you talk money and payouts, it's business you're talking about. Flat payouts in disc golf are not a problem, they are a solution. The flat payouts help build the player pool to get more money into the pot.

Yes, it means there's not going to be a huge difference in payout between 72nd and 51st (to use Paul's reference), but it means that the guys in the top 5 can all walk away with 4 figures.

Yes, it means there's not going to be a huge difference in payout between 72nd and 51st (to use Paul's reference), but it means that the guys in the top 5 can all walk away with 4 figures.

Just looked up the actual numbers, there was a 21 stroke difference between 32nd and 72nd and just a $105 difference in payout.

However, everyone in the top 10 took home at least $1,000.

I am not saying that the payout need to be changed right now. I thought it was a good thing they did a flat payout because of the lack of big money.

I think people who did play better should feel like they should get more money than people who didn't play as well but realize disc golf is not a huge money sport right now. If you were 53st place and got the same pay as the person in 72nd, it should feel weird, not just "that is how the sport is." You understand why that happened and hope that the sport grows out of that problem in the future.

I just don't want it happen that in 5, 10, 20, 50 years from now if a disc golf purse is like say, 1 million, the same thing happens and the last 20 spots all get the same cash just because, "that is how we always have done it because that is how disc golf business is." We need to keep in mind the problems we have even if we can't fix them due to uncontrollable reasons.

Ball golf's payouts do not compare to disc golf's payout. Ball golf pays out other people's money, disc golf pays out the competitors' money.

When the people running and promoting disc golf make money, then you can start comparing the pay-outs of the 2 games, until then, it's apples to $$. The guy who finishes 2nd in a 2nd tier ball golf tourney makes more than the top performing disc golfer in winnings does for a year.

Yes'ish. Additionally...I know golf pro's. Pro's in the second tier level. They can pay up to $5,000 to enter a tournament and their sponsors do not pay for their entry in many cases. It works out because everyone is so good anyone can do well but the overall money isnt just that of the players. In disc golf as players get better across the board, it makes it harder and harder to make money. Climo won 12 championships quickly. That wont happen again. Soooo.... the more you just play for you and your competitors money the less you actually make as competition increases. The sport NEEDS outside money.

Latest posts