• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Medium Wizards No Longer PDGA Legal?

Well, the guys at IDGC don't have to walk far to go to their pro shop and pick out a flat champ Firebird, or any of the new Innova drivers with that "glass" looking clear champion plastic. Every disc in that plastic that I've felt has been pretty stiff.
I'm saying report it when you see it. There's no way the PDGA is capable of patrolling the scene alone. Even if Jason might suspect a disc, he tries to be neutral and either test them randomly as much as possible so he's personally not see na picking on a manufacturer or wait to check a disc model that's been reported.

So you really want me to write to PDGA and have them inspect the new run of flat champ Firebirds? I have no problem doing that, but I can see it making a lot of people upset.

Chuck,

I guess my other concern would be actually enforcing the rule. Gateway made it easy by classifying flex levels for their putters, so you can simply say that medium is too stiff. Done. No more medium Wizards. What about manufacturers like Innova where the stiffness of a disc varies from run to run based on plastic they use? I had Firebirds I could bend in half and Firebirds I can't even bend a little. Forget plastic blends, they have 3 different Roc molds that are all approved under the same name that was sent in for approval back in 1987. I don't know if there are any Rocs out there now that are the same as they were in 1987. You can't just say "tell us what is illegal and we'll look at it". You either enforce the rule or you don't. Otherwise you end up with what you have now with markets saturated with discs that don't pass PDGA standards and nearly every player having at least a few discs in their bag that technically don't meet PDGA rules.

Preach it!!!

It would be a first good step to make manufacturers produce discs that meet pdga specs.

4:48 - thread is posted, 6:48 - thread is 9 pages deep lol.

2/4 of the putters I use regularly are 1g over legal weight, good luck catching me is all I can say =P

I really don't think anyone will have a way to test whether or not these putters are legal or not once you are out on the course or in a tourney, it's not like weight where you can have a scale handy. Just play with them and ween them out of your bag if you can, and if not, good luck to you.

So you really want me to write to PDGA and have them inspect the new run of flat champ Firebirds? I have no problem doing that, but I can see it making a lot of people upset.
My glass clear Roc3's are flexy, I'm surprised (and somewhat disappointed) that the Firebirds are that stiff.

for the love of Climo don't report the stiff firebirds.

Innova owns the PDGA....your stiff firebirds are safe.

So my 175g wizards are pointless to have if I wanted to play tier tournaments? Lol. what

If they are going to be enforcing this on putters, then they need to do away with too soft of plastic then too. No more BlowFly, Burrito, SSSS, Some runs of the Omega SS.

IMO, I can see having this rule for drivers and mid's, but not putters.

FWIW, Innova may be second behind Gateway (we don't track stats on this) for sometimes having flex issues (likely due to their sheer number of models.) But their issues have been dealt with either before significant production or with less public discussion.

Can't wait to hear all the Innova pro's bitching because their 10x and 11x aviars will now be illegal. Or will there be a special loop hole to allow those in?

So are they now banned in tournament play?
If the disc legitimately has PDGA Approved on it, it's legal by default. But anyone can still challenge a specific disc for not meeting the specs whether weight, flex or cracks, etc.

FWIW, Innova may be second behind Gateway (we don't track stats on this) for sometimes having flex issues (likely due to their sheer number of models.) But their issues have been dealt with either before significant production or with less public discussion.

How much does it cost for the pdga to turn their heads?

Can't wait to hear all the Innova pro's bitching because their 10x and 11x aviars will now be illegal. Or will there be a special loop hole to allow those in?
I agree it will be interesting to see how the new rule plays out in terms of confrontations that could happen along those lines, especially since we have a significant number of pros changing affiliations this season.

Latest posts