• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Medium Wizards No Longer PDGA Legal?

Disc golf finally gets to the point where multiple companies can make a name for themselves and make decent products, which benefits the players. And as soon as this happens they start enforcing rules that make it a lot harder for new companies to break through and also hurt established companies. What could possibly go wrong with this idea?

The future of disc golf has apparently come down to R-Pro.

Think the PDGA has ever given a membership disc that was too stiff?

yeah black ones are usually really stiff... that doesn't sound quite right...

every new kc pro aviar i have, would now be deemed "illegal". someone at the PDGA needs to do something about this. because theres probably thousands of those things in circulation.

what i dont get is that gateway gets called out on this, so they comply.

yet innova keeps pumping out incredibly stiff champ plastic and incredibly stiff KC PRO aviars. the heads there have to know the flex test is now being enforced. so why dont they comply with the new enforcement of rules?

seems fishy.

and what about those new legacy rivals that everyone says are extremely stiff?

going to be even more fishy if legacy gets called out before innova ever does.

What happens to Ti plastic then?, from my experience with them they seem to be mighty stiff in comparison to stiff champ plastic...

my ti wasp is flexible. I could bend it fairly easy if I wanted to.

every new kc pro aviar i have, would now be deemed "illegal". someone at the PDGA needs to do something about this. because theres probably thousands of those things in circulation.

what i dont get is that gateway gets called out on this, so they comply.

yet innova keeps pumping out incredibly stiff champ plastic and incredibly stiff KC PRO aviars. the heads there have to know the flex test is now being enforced. so why dont they comply with the new enforcement of rules?

seems fishy.

and what about those new legacy rivals that everyone says are extremely stiff?

going to be even more fishy if legacy gets called out before innova ever does.

In legacys defense, I just got 2rivals, shipped straight from the factory, and they are no stiffer than any other new champ-equivalent I've felt.

you know what is funny about Gateway putters, 2 of them, mainly the most popular one, is only legal to 174.3 and I bet you half the players with Wizard putters have theirs at 175....hahahaha. I can't wait for the day someone is a Dbag with a wizard/Magic in a tourny round and when I see them putt check their putter weight on the last hole by handing them their disc ;) and telling them I am calling them on their illegal disc. I tell the descent people about the weight issue so that they know. Haven't run into a dbag worthy of it yet tho.

Gateway Disc Sports Wizard 174.3
Gateway Disc Sports Magic 174.3
Gateway Disc Sports Voodoo 175.1
Gateway Disc Sports Warlock 175.1

you know what is funny about Gateway putters, 2 of them, mainly the most popular one, is only legal to 174.3 and I bet you half the players with Wizard putters have theirs at 175....hahahaha. I can't wait for the day someone is a Dbag with a wizard/Magic in a tourny round and when I see them putt check their putter weight on the last hole by handing them their disc ;) and telling them I am calling them on their illegal disc. I tell the descent people about the weight issue so that they know. Haven't run into a dbag worthy of it yet tho.

Gateway Disc Sports Wizard 174.3
Gateway Disc Sports Magic 174.3
Gateway Disc Sports Voodoo 175.1
Gateway Disc Sports Warlock 175.1

Fortunately for most the weight ink on the Gateway putters wears off pretty quick.

Also fortunately for most I've noticed their putters often weigh less than they're marked, so even if a scale gets involved everything should be okay.

i guess i'll just hang on to my last three that were waiting for their time in the bag, and every now and then hold them, and gently flex them.

Interesting.

Btw, anyone remember my thread this past year about the Firebirds being a legal disc or a weapon?

Interesting.

Btw, anyone remember my thread this past year about the Firebirds being a legal disc or a weapon?

Nope but I just joined the forum a few months ago so that may have something to do with it.
When I throw my firebird incorrectly it's definitely more of a weapon than a disc.
All kidding aside I have a new firebird that's stiff as crap. Where does the difference between the bird and wizard lie? And plenty of other discs for that matter. If pdga is gonna call someone out they should be prepared to get serious on every mold/plastic type on the market. I'm no expert, just my $.02

Last edited:
So then it's all going to depend on the TD. This is going to cause some stress on all the wrong people... volunteers and players...

I'm going to announce in all of my player's meetings that I don't have a PDGA calibrated scale or approved method to test disc flex, so save the drama for your momma.

We'll settle it in the cage.

Everyone on here talking about everyone else's discs.... have any of you done this exact test to these discs ur saying must be illegal to determine if they are technically illegal or not? I highly doubt it. So what is the point in thinking it might be... if you can't prove it it didn't happen

I am extremely sad to hear what that the PDGA has made that decision. It's ridiculous considering they don't apply the rule to every disc, just those they can touch and feel like they are too hard. Anyway anyhow, I say we all email the PDGA and give them some crap about it.
A hard putter is extremely less dangerous than a hard driver for what it is worth!