• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Merrell Shoes . GORE TEX vs. M-select DRY

illuminatefreak

Par Member
Anyone have experience with both and would recommend one over the other? Just looking for a good pair of waterproof shoes primarily for disc golf (approx. 2x/week). I play during early morning hours, so the moisture on the ground gets annoying with no waterproofing.

Currently looking at:
All Out Blaze (M-select DRY)
Men's Moab (GORE TEXT)

Any insight is appreciated.

I am not sure if my Moabs are the Gore model, but they say waterproof on them. They were never even close to being waterproof. Water attracting would have been more accurate.

I am not sure if my Moabs are the Gore model, but they say waterproof on them. They were never even close to being waterproof. Water attracting would have been more accurate.

This is from the description on their website:

"In this newest style of the Moab hiking shoe, the addition of Aegis antimicrobial-treated GORE-TEX® lining adds a new level of cloudburst protection and comfort. Whether stomping through mountain streams, traipsing through morning dew or caught in a downpour, these GORE-TEX hiking boots will keep you warm and dry on any trail, no matter what Mother Nature's up to."

FWIW, I loved my Moabs that I bought 6-7 years ago. They were waterproof and indestructible. In the lat few years though their quality has gone way down, the seams aren't as tough and they don't stay waterproof nearly as long. Unfortunately I just wouldn't recommend them anymore.

Take a look at the Chameleons. They've been much better for me than my MOABs ever were.

I'd recommend that you don't buy anything from Merrell. Terrible quality. Vibram soles that start peeling off within a month of use. Their 'waterproofing' is laughable at best.

The only thing they have going for them is their return policy. Which I just utilized and traded in for another pair of Keen Targhee II's.

I play in the mornings too. The Targhee II's keep my feet dry in the wettest of conditions. I've put hundreds of rounds into my first pair and they are still rock solid.

Disc golfers should unite get a class action suit against merrell for false advertising. The moabs I have say waterproof and do nothing but soak up water until it seeps through to your feet.

I really like my merrells in terms of comfort and looks, in dry conditions they are just fine. In other words I like them, just not for disc golf.

I'd recommend that you don't buy anything from Merrell. Terrible quality. Vibram soles that start peeling off within a month of use. Their 'waterproofing' is laughable at best.

The only thing they have going for them is their return policy. Which I just utilized and traded in for another pair of Keen Targhee II's.

I play in the mornings too. The Targhee II's keep my feet dry in the wettest of conditions. I've put hundreds of rounds into my first pair and they are still rock solid.

I was literally about to hit the "confirm order" button when I figured I'd check this one last time. Based on another thread it seemed as though Merrell's were where it's at. I guess that was then and things have changed.

I do like the looks of those Keen Targhee II's and I found them for $99.43 on amazon. Still hesitant... just don't want them falling apart after 2 months. I can't remember the last time I spent over $40 for a pair of shoes, so throwing down $100 is a little more than my comfort zone (I realize that I'm getting more than just a pair of sneakers... just not used to spending that much). However, if it's worth it, than it's all good... just not sure on pulling the trigger just yet.

I have a pair of Keen Targhee II's. I used to wear Nike shox for DG. I got tired of wet feet and replacing my shoes after a month. I just played in a few very wet rounds and my Keen's kept my feet dry. Also they are showing virtually no wear after being abused by at least 18 holes a day for the last month and a half. Best shoe I have ever owned.

I was literally about to hit the "confirm order" button when I figured I'd check this one last time. Based on another thread it seemed as though Merrell's were where it's at. I guess that was then and things have changed.

I do like the looks of those Keen Targhee II's and I found them for $99.43 on amazon. Still hesitant... just don't want them falling apart after 2 months. I can't remember the last time I spent over $40 for a pair of shoes, so throwing down $100 is a little more than my comfort zone (I realize that I'm getting more than just a pair of sneakers... just not used to spending that much). However, if it's worth it, than it's all good... just not sure on pulling the trigger just yet.

Go through a store with a good return policy. Somewhere like REI you're going to pay a slightly higher price, but within a reasonable amount of time you can trade them in with very little effort or fuss for another pair or a different shoe entirely or anything else in the store.

Go through a store with a good return policy. Somewhere like REI you're going to pay a slightly higher price, but within a reasonable amount of time you can trade them in with very little effort or fuss for another pair or a different shoe entirely or anything else in the store.

REI has some good deals now and then as well. I bought a pair of Targhee II's for $86 there. I can also vouch for the Targhee's as the most rugged pair of shoes I've ever owned. Mine are over a year old and are holding up just fine after hundreds of rounds. My only complaint is that they are a bit bulky for my taste, but the overall usefulness overcomes that imperfection. But to be fair I am 5'9 and wearing a size 10. I should also mention the only time I wear them is on the course.

I've never had a problem with my Moab's. That being said, I haven't had to get a new pair in a while. But back to Gore-Tex versus wareproof. Gore's patent on Gore-Tex fabric has expired about 1 1/2 yrs ago. So other companies can now make the same fabric for less. A "waterproof" shoe from any manufacturer should have the same fabric. Save your money.

My MOABs lasted at least 6 months longer than my Targhee IIs. They have a harder sole and wore less quickly on concrete teepads.

I bought my Chameleon 4 mids a little over a year ago and barely notice any wear.

How do the Chameleons run compared to the MOAB's as far as width across the forefoot? I have 4E feet, and the MOAB's are a little tight (but still more comfortable than the New Balances I replaced them with) so if the Chameleons are narrower that would be deal breaker.

How do the Chameleons run compared to the MOAB's as far as width across the forefoot? I have 4E feet, and the MOAB's are a little tight (but still more comfortable than the New Balances I replaced them with) so if the Chameleons are narrower that would be deal breaker.

IMO, the Chameleons are tighter than the Moabs, sorry for the bad news. In general terms, the Moabs are more like a hiking boot fit where as the Chameleons are more like a sneaker fit. Took me a while to break in my Chameleons and finally get them comfortable. Where as my Moabs felt comfortable almost from Day 1.

I've never had a problem with my Moab's. That being said, I haven't had to get a new pair in a while. But back to Gore-Tex versus wareproof. Gore's patent on Gore-Tex fabric has expired about 1 1/2 yrs ago. So other companies can now make the same fabric for less. A "waterproof" shoe from any manufacturer should have the same fabric. Save your money.

there is no replacement for Gore-Tex. Other manufacturers might be able to see the recipe but they cant duplicate the product. Pay the extra $ for the real deal or roll the dice with a company that doesnt have 40yrs of expertise.

The Moab is a great shoe, there are definitively 2 versions, one with and one without Gore-Tex. Very resilient, but almost to a fault. The aggressive tread doesnt allow my knee to pivot freely off the tee, causes pain. This is just my experience.

Ultimately, there is no perfect disc golf shoe, but you typically get the best/better shoe when you see "Gore-Tex or Vibram." imo

Ultimately, there is no perfect disc golf shoe, but you typically get the best/better shoe when you see "Gore-Tex or Vibram." imo
I bought the Moab's basically for the Vibram sole.

Which proceed to begin peeling off after a month of casual use.

Maybe my pair was bunk or a fluke... or maybe it was the aggressive tread.
Seems like it doesn't matter how good or reputable the rubber is if it can't stick to the bottom of the shoe.

Moabs w/ Goretex were AMAZING shoes about 5 years ago.

Now they fall apart within 6 months. :\ ....and I play a lot less than I did back then.

If you're really worried about keeping your feet dry, get waterproof socks. I've had very good luck with Sealskinz.

I love Merrells, the old Merrells anyway. As said above the quality has really fallen off in the last few years. My favorite pair is 6 or 7 years old now (with a fully intact Vibram sole) and my solution was to get some good leather/canvas waterproofer and re-treat every 6 months or so. I bought a newer pair 2 summers ago and they didn't even last a year.

As an aside, I really like TheClymb.com for some ridiculous deals on rotating stock. Size and quantity is usually pretty limited on shoes but I've gotten tons of outdoor gear from them, including numerous pairs of Merrells/Keens/Patagonias, for 50% off or more.

Latest posts