• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan-Kensington Black Locust area

isobar1

Bogey Member
I am probably going to be heading this way tomorrow morning and was wondering if anyone has some advice for other courses to check out in the area. I was really hoping to check out the tournament course, but since it's seasonal I will be missing it. I have only ever played one course in my life, but have been playing for 3 years and consider myself to be a good casual player. Just looking for some input to get the most out of my trip, I have heard of some in Brighton, and Holly, both of which are on my way there.

Looking forward to playing on a good pay to play course, as my home course is generally overrun by a bunch of kids treating the course like crap after about 3pm.

Oh and if anyone is interested in coming out and playing with me, I would love the company. I am bringing one friend with me since we both want to see new courses, but if you are in the area and want to play just let me know.

Hudson Mills is close to there. Two 24 hole courses, both are great.

Edit- Hudson is prob about 20min+ from there. I'd actually go there instead of the Black Locust, not like there's anything wrong with the Locust, just that Hudson has two 24's, get more for your money.

The two parks are at least 30 min apart, not certain on the exact timing, but the same entry fee gets you into both parks. Don't know if the daily golf fee works in both parks, may have to pay twice for that. I'd hit up HM in the morning and play both courses. Grab some lunch along the expressway on the way to Kensington and get the locust 27 in during the afternoon.

I might try and do that, most i've done in one day is 45 holes, hopefully I can take doing 75.

And the temps for this week and weekend are in the 70's and close to 80... crazy for pre-April in Michigan... crazy...

If you can only hit one, hudson is a much better course. if you dont want to cut cross town, you can also hit the short 9 hole at bandemer park in ann arbor, or rolling hills in ypsilanti which is one of my personal favorites. those are are both a bit closer of a drive from HM.

where are you staying? that can hep determine a lot.

I live in the Lapeer area, so it's only a little over an hour drive for me to get there, but I generally don't have time to make a trip that far to play. I ended up making it out to play the Black Locust and had a great time and learned a lot. Will hope to make it out to Hudson in the next month or so.

My ideal day would be hitting HM at around 7, getting in 48 holes, then hitting Indy Lake and playing the Chuck D. course (sadly Picnic course is likely out by now with the warm weather and picnickers/beach-goers), then on up the highway to Black Locust. Maybe throw the placements on the Toboggan if I have time before dark. :)

ChrisWoj said:
My ideal day would be hitting HM at around 7, getting in 48 holes, then hitting Indy Lake and playing the Chuck D. course (sadly Picnic course is likely out by now with the warm weather and picnickers/beach-goers), then on up the highway to Black Locust. Maybe throw the placements on the Toboggan if I have time before dark. :)

Indy Lake? Where is this place? I searched it on DGCR and didn't find anything.

It's off 6 mile in Whitmore Lake. About 10 minutes from Hudson. Independence Lake. It's a Washtenaw County Park like Rolling Hills.