• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

^Agreed, the $9/day park entry fee for non-Washtenaw County residents it steep, but it'd sting less if you could make a day of it by playing 2 courses (a'la Hudson Mills). Throw in Indy Lake for a triple play and $9/day is a bargain. Bring a couple of friends and you're paying a measly $1 a round, each.

Yup, same with Addison. All good courses, usually load up one vehicle with a crew and make it a day with a grill and a cooler. Not really complaining, there is no such thing as too expensive for disc golf in my world. :hfive:

Yup, same with Addison. All good courses, usually load up one vehicle with a crew and make it a day with a grill and a cooler. Not really complaining, there is no such thing as too expensive for disc golf in my world. :hfive:

Yea, non-resident prices suck in SE Michigan. But that's the park fee it self. At least your playing disc golf when you pay, and not just going for a walk to look at birds like a lot of people do. :p

Question. We live near Sheboygan, WI, and are trying to figure our next road trip, which will be to MI. It's a horse a piece going south around the lake or north through the UP.

Which direction is going to give us the better selection of courses? We're thinking UP, down through the western edges of the state, then back over and taking the ferry back home. Not worried about the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area, as my stepson lives over there, and I'll knock those courses out in due time. I guess what I'm asking, are there any courses in the southwestern part of the state that are must plays?

First, I would seriously reconsider taking the ferry in Ludington. It is extremely expensive and time consuming. If you go the southerly route you aren't going to be too far from Lemon Lake, Rodger Lakewood, Shore Acres, Flip City. In Ludington there is the Beast, Leviathan, Beauty and another one on that property. If you can spare the time I would go all the way around if were you. If you make a stop in the Berrien county area I can make recommendations on where to stay, eat, etc. since that's where I live.

Also, there is a new course in Holland called Macatawa Greenspace I think and so far it looks pretty good. I guess if you go the northerly route there isn't as much disc golf but the scenery is better. However there are some great courses. The southerly route the drive isn't too bad but the concentration of courses is a little higher. Kind of depends on what you are after on this trip.

We were considering a full loop, but want to make sure there's enough courses to make it worthwhile. We'd probably just camp locally to save funds, and it would probably be a Friday morning-Sunday night type trip.

I had heard the ferry was expensive, and to be completely honest, I'd rather just hit as many courses as possible.

Flip City is a must...the Ludington area sounds pretty darn good, as well. We'd just have to make sure to leave early enough to beat Chicago traffic.

Flip City is a must...the Ludington area sounds pretty darn good, as well. We'd just have to make sure to leave early enough to beat Chicago traffic.

ten bucks a person to camp at flip. Well wroth doing, may want to call or e-mail bill first. Ludington is good. Shore Acres if you are coming up that side. then going to traverse city.

Anybody heard anything about the 2nd course Rolling Hills is putting in? I heard some buzz about it in the spring, but since then it's been quiet.

Years ago I heard they were gonna expand the existing course to 24 holes. Thought they were actually doing some work in the woods for it. Obviously didn't happen and I've never heard that again.

I've definitely never heard anything about a 2nd course. That would be awesome, though! I don't get there enough even though I'm only a few miles away...often too crowded for my tastes. A second course may help with that a bit.

I just sent them a message on Facebook. We'll see what they say.

Looks like DirtyMittenDG found the video Foz posted for the expansion at Rolling Hills. I first heard about it maybe 2 weeks ago, I showed up just as Ypsi Dubs was ending on a Sunday and there was talk about it. Heard chatter about the quad-copter video Foz shot but never saw it (thanks Dirty). Going to be a 2nd course, didn't get the hole count though. :clap:

Some of the State parks are nice to camp in but are hard to get reservations. Ludington state park is gorgeous. It's nice for me because they are pretty strict on noise after 11pm. Bath room facilities are so so and the big downside is I don't think there is any drinking allowed at state parks.

Some of the State parks are nice to camp in but are hard to get reservations. Ludington state park is gorgeous. It's nice for me because they are pretty strict on noise after 11pm. Bath room facilities are so so and the big downside is I don't think there is any drinking allowed at state parks.

Vodka/lemonade in a large cooler is always a nice way to get around that problem.

I just put together this map of the top 25 courses in Michigan. Check it out!

http://goo.gl/maps/cwS11

Awesome map!

The only course I've played in MI was The Ponds at Lakeshore, because it was closest to where I was staying. The course was pretty average, but the Throw Shop was awesome. Picked up a Grip Line Spike (OOP) and AJ Destroyer, which was nice. At some point I'll hit all those courses in that area.

Too bad there's not something really nice between Traverse City and Ludington. Maybe two trips in my future.

I just put together this map of the top 25 courses in Michigan. Check it out!

http://goo.gl/maps/cwS11

Not too bad, agree with most but noticed a couple of nice ones missing from the list.

Victory Park in Albion, MI is a great course.
Cold Brook Park in Climax, MI is another one I would put in my Top 25.

I was less than impressed with Cass Benton myself, would not make my list. Run down course with some obnoxious locals, IMO of course. But a solid listing none the less, thanks for putting this together as there are some I have yet to play so this will help! :clap:

Not too bad, agree with most but noticed a couple of nice ones missing from the list.

Victory Park in Albion, MI is a great course.
Cold Brook Park in Climax, MI is another one I would put in my Top 25.

I was less than impressed with Cass Benton myself, would not make my list. Run down course with some obnoxious locals, IMO of course. But a solid listing none the less, thanks for putting this together as there are some I have yet to play so this will help! :clap:

Cold Brook > Oshtemo IMO

I think Vicksburg, Macatawa Greenspace and Goliath will make this list once they have enough reviews.

Ludington is the state's busiest park. Most parks allow drinking with some rules, reservations are nearly impossible at this point in most parks, and the noise thing is an issue for sure. They proactively warn you and enforce like wardens. Rustic State Forest Campgrounds are a great option and private campgrounds (like the one across from Mason County in Ludington) are good as well.

Latest posts