• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

I got to play a couple tournaments there this summer, and aside from the worst poison ivy of my life, the course is outstanding. It is not open to play outside of a couple of special events, for which special permission was obtained. The deal to make the island a state park has been finalized, though many decisions are yet to be made as to where the state intends to spend money. It is my understanding that the city has closed the ball course, on which the disc course is located, and deemed the land as not being used. If the disc course were to open the city would have had to change the status of that piece of land, impacting taxation and insurance needs. They obviously were in no position to do so. I am not sure where the process is with the state. Disc Golf Scene usually has information and contacts to ask via the talk section. Keep you fingers crossed.

Tecumseh Michigan was supposed to get a really challenging nine hole at Jon smith park. I've seen the layout and it looks pro calibre however now it's basically just a big ass field.

Some good news and some bad news?

First, the kinda bad news...

-----PENDING COURSES-------

--Al Quaal-Teal Lake DGC-- Ishpeming {18 Holes}
--Al Quaal-Olympic Trail DGC-- Ishpeming {18 Holes}
--Ella Sharp Park-- Jackson {18 Holes}
--Grand Isle-- Belmont {18 Holes}
--Homestead Greens DGC-- Harvey {18 Holes}
--James Nelson Park-- Sterling Heights {18 Holes}
--Memorial Course-- Republic {18 holes}
--Rolling Hills County Park [2nd Course]-- {18 Holes}
--Rotary Park-- Livonia {18 Holes}
--Wolcott Mill Metropark-- Ray {18 Holes} Haven't heard anything else about it in over a year :(
--Baker's Field Park-- Port Huron {9-18 Holes} Haven't heard anything in 2 years :(
--BC State Rec Area-- Bay City {9-18 Holes}
--Columbus Park-- Columbus {9-18 Holes} We're a pretty low priority. They're in no rush :(
--Independence Green DGC-- Farmington Hills {9-18 Holes}
--Ramona Park-- Portage {9-18 Holes}
--Rosevear Park-- Owosso {9-18 Holes}

The good news...
Stony Creek ~ might be expanding to 36 holes this year!

Mill Creek ~ I've moved my private course to a new location with more space. I'm hoping to have it complete by this April if the snow will start melting.

has anyone heard more on Grand Isle? I have pm'd that dude like 3 times asking to help.

Thanks for the update Donny. I will try to get a contact name for the Metro Parks about Walcott Mills, and see if there is any movement.

Thanks for the update Donny. I will try to get a contact name for the Metro Parks about Walcott Mills, and see if there is any movement.

Probably would have better luck with obtaining inside info by getting a hold of John M from the Motor City Chain Gang. He and his team have been doing most of the work in the Macomb and Oakland County areas. They take care of a bunch of local courses and have great tourneys. I'm pretty sure they're the ones leading the way for:

Stony Creek ~ expansion
Addison Oaks ~ expansion
Riverbends ~ re-design/expansion
James Nelson Park in Sterling Heights ~ planned for 18 holes
Wolcott Mill in Ray Township ~ planned for 18 holes

And I'm sure many more. With land still pricey in that neck of the woods, the parks are really the only place you're going to get any new courses.

Probably would have better luck with obtaining inside info by getting a hold of John M from the Motor City Chain Gang. He and his team have been doing most of the work in the Macomb and Oakland County areas. They take care of a bunch of local courses and have great tourneys. I'm pretty sure they're the ones leading the way for:

Stony Creek ~ expansion
Addison Oaks ~ expansion
Riverbends ~ re-design/expansion
James Nelson Park in Sterling Heights ~ planned for 18 holes
Wolcott Mill in Ray Township ~ planned for 18 holes

And I'm sure many more. With land still pricey in that neck of the woods, the parks are really the only place you're going to get any new courses.

True, John is a machine. I got out to Riverbends late this fall, and while not quite complete, the re design is going to be fantastic. Keep up the great work Donny and keep us posted on your place.

True, John is a machine. I got out to Riverbends late this fall, and while not quite complete, the re design is going to be fantastic. Keep up the great work Donny and keep us posted on your place.

I haven't played at the Bends since they first started the redesign in late 2012. It was one of the first courses I played back in the day and was really cool until they put in the paved walk/bike paths. I don't recall the grass being as bad in the late 90's either. I'm glad the guys were allowed to correct the problems at Riverbends. Hopefully the parks dept can keep it mowed more often.

Ramona Park-- Portage {9-18 Holes}

Any updates on Ramona's attempt at a DGC? I know it's been in the works for a little while but aside from the classic "we're gonna put one in at some point" I've heard next to nothing about it..

Anyone know anything about Bay City putting in a course , I heard they had money raised and gave it back calling things off . any truth to that.

Looks like Grand Isle finally got approved and should be in this year

Great news. Part of an old swat golf course, huh? Sounds promising as well.

I posted in the Grand Rapids Disc Return group, looks like they are waiting on swamp info and for the snow to melt.

Looks like Grand Isle finally got approved and should be in this year

That's good news. I think trying to raise $18,000 is going to be quite a challenge, even if they do allow hole sponsors. I'm excited for a new course on the NE end, though. I had emailed the Parks and Rec. Director late last year, but it's been radio silence since then. I'm also interested in finding out more about the club that has been mentioned.

I got to play a couple tournaments there this summer, and aside from the worst poison ivy of my life, the course is outstanding. It is not open to play outside of a couple of special events, for which special permission was obtained. The deal to make the island a state park has been finalized, though many decisions are yet to be made as to where the state intends to spend money. It is my understanding that the city has closed the ball course, on which the disc course is located, and deemed the land as not being used. If the disc course were to open the city would have had to change the status of that piece of land, impacting taxation and insurance needs. They obviously were in no position to do so. I am not sure where the process is with the state. Disc Golf Scene usually has information and contacts to ask via the talk section. Keep you fingers crossed.

The Detroit Disc Golf team is working with the state, and things are moving forward. We are hoping to have the course open for daily play sometime summer 2014.

The Detroit Disc Golf team is working with the state, and things are moving forward. We are hoping to have the course open for daily play sometime summer 2014.

Scott: thanks for your work on this!
The way it's in a fenced in section, it seems feasible to make it pay to play, (just so it's somewhat financially self-sustaining), but I don't know that greens fees would even cover the cost of hiring people to collect greens fees. I'd just hate to see them open it, and have things go south for being a financial drain or people vandalizing it (which seems to diminish quite a bit when someone's present collecting fees).

Last edited:
Dwayne - good concerns to have, but trust me these are the same concerns that we all have. We are working on a sustainable model understanding that it may take a while for the regular player base to develop. It will help to have a very high quality course to work with though. That always helps ;) ..

Anyone know anything about Bay City putting in a course , I heard they had money raised and gave it back calling things off . any truth to that.
Last I heard was that the county executive gave support to the guy proposing a Bay City dg course to talk to the Boys and Girls Club, sugar beat factory, etc. about building a course on the middle grounds. Would be a unique spot for a course, but based on the way the project fizzled, I think it's back to square 1. Another location they were considering was the area between Kolb School/Southwest Little League and Labadie's car dealership, but it's private property. There was also discussion about using the park by the Wanigan, across the river from the Boys and Girls Club, but it's a very small piece of land and the supporters of the project wanted commitment to an 18 hole course. Here's a link from February 27, 2013: Bay City disc golf course advocate: If you build it, they will come...

Bay City State Park would 100% support putting a course in, but they are underfunded and space would still be a question. I am not following the issue, but they are applying for a $30,000 grant to put in some kind of boardwalk: Bay City State Park one step closer to getting boardwalk. So, dg is on the backburner for them anyway.

To be honest, the commissioners involved, the county executive, and the parks and rec director all seemed supportive, but you can really tell that the problem is basically space/location. There just isn't an ideal location. There are good spots, but there are so many factors that need to work out just right that likely won't just come together without a HUGE push.